Which Grease To Use On My Bicycle

MaiDong

my rear Derailleur was clogged up with crap so I gave it a good clean out, it certainly needed it, but there seemed to be very little grease in the jockey wheels, whilst I understand this isn't necessarily a problem there is still a little noise coming from it, a kind of rattle, so instead of travelling the 26km round trip to one of the popular bike shops on the other side of BKK(East), I was wondering if I could use crease purchased from the hardware shop at the end of my road? What grease would be suitable?

Thanks for any ideas!

MD

Personally mate this time of year I use very little lube….(me or the bike) it’s to dusty, grease and oil just attract dust and shit, packing it with grease will just wear the part, (grease will become grinding paste)…OK so far, if the part is knackered anyway, but it will also wear the housing, for that part, could get more expensive not to fix it now.….Just buy a new part you tight git! When you say jockey wheel….What you talking about. Ultimately, it’s up to you…I don’t know what sort of riding you do.

The best i have used if you can get it is ICE WAX by PEDROS,FOR WET OR DRY,it collects little or no dirt,and is great when wet,i used a lube called finish live,when the shop run out,for me no good compared to ice collects too much dirt,if you do put any lube on other than ice wax,wipe excess off chain before your ride.

cat

Mai

If you're referring to the two small geared wheels as part of the rear derailleur I would simply take them apart and clean everything in kerosene and then reassemble with a good synthetic grease like Super Lube which is available at Home Pro. I'm not sure if standard wheel bearing grease will harm any of the parts. The noise you are hearing may be from dirt inside the jockey wheel gear housing indicating cleaning. Failure to clean and relube them will lead to failure of these gears which may leave you stranded in some out of the way location.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had rear DR problems in my 17 years cycling here. Suggest you DO NOT try to dissemble rear DR. Hit everything with copious amount of WD40-type spray-on surfactant (BigC has generic version, big can ~ 50B). Pick out all the crap with a tooth pick. Wipe up with toilet paper etc.

'Noise', if persists, may be due to lack of alignment between rear DR and sprocket cluster. You may need to reset the high and low limit screws. More advice later if needed.. AA

By the way, grease is important in bearings for headset, bottom bracket, wheel axles, gear/brake cable housings. For derailleurs, and rear derailleur jockey wheels, WD40-like surfactant works. I also prefer regular surfactant sprayed (then wiped) on chain, others may prefer machine oil. AA

By the way, grease is important in bearings for headset, bottom bracket, wheel axles, gear/brake cable housings. For derailleurs, and rear derailleur jockey wheels, WD40-like surfactant works. I also prefer regular surfactant sprayed (then wiped) on chain, others may prefer machine oil. AA

Hi ‘earn’ you’re right to sing the praises of lub…… grease and oil but, you really need to rethink using WD40 as a lub. WD40 is not a lub, in the same way grease or oil is, WD40 will break down what grease or oil and create a high fiction zone….fast, never use on your chain. WD40 is good for loosening tight nuts ECT and driving out moisture. You are better with a silicon/PTF based spray for things like the jockey wheels.

Oil used in the dry season in Thailand, (more so when doing a lot of off road) should be used very sparingly, and better still, as already mentioned in another post use a wax based lub, or you just end up with grinding paste.

I'm not sure why there is any hesitation about cleaning & relubing the jockey wheels. Each wheel is held in by a single bolt. Remove the wheel and then seperate the small metal covers in the center. Inside you'll find a steel or ceramic bushing. Clean all the parts and reassemble with some synthetic grease and your done. The alternative is to to toss both jockey wheels and buy new ones. I have a Shimano XT rear derailleur and have cleaned and relubed both jockey wheels numerous times.

Please remember to use grease and not WD-40 which as Tonto says is not a lubricant.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Kemex cleaner & degreaser spray for cleaning my chain and derailleur. For lube I use a ptfe spray. The ptfe works better than oils and grease because dirt and grime doesn't stick to ptfe as easily.

Hubs and BB are sealed units so don't need regular greasing. Just keep them clean.

Never, ever use wd-40 as a lubricant. It is a solvent.

Hope this helps.

Happy trails.

I use Kemex cleaner & degreaser spray for cleaning my chain and derailleur. For lube I use a ptfe spray. The ptfe works better than oils and grease because dirt and grime doesn't stick to ptfe as easily.

Hubs and BB are sealed units so don't need regular greasing. Just keep them clean.

Never, ever use wd-40 as a lubricant. It is a solvent.

Hope this helps.

Happy trails.

Excuse my ignorance but what exactely is ptfe?

Thanks for enlightening me.