British Motorcyclist Killed In Hit-And-Run Road Accident In East Pattaya

Rimmer

British Motorcyclist killed in hit-and-run road accident in East Pattaya

PATTAYA: -- A British motorcyclist was killed in a hit-and-run road accident in East Pattaya on Saturday afternoon. The accident occurred in Soi Siam Country Club and resulted in the death of Mr. Christopher Nicholas Gibb aged 30 from Middlesex, England.

Witnesses, described how Mr. Gibb, attempted an overtaking maneuver past a slow moving pick-up but clipped a side-mirror of a pick-up travelling in the opposite direction. He fell off his motorbike onto the road and in the path of a 10-wheel truck which was carrying tables and chairs. It failed to stop in time and ran-over Mr. Gibb.

The truck failed to stop at the scene and is currently being sought by Police. The driver of the pick-up travelling in the opposite direction to Mr. Gibb remained at the scene and confirmed the chain-of-events but was detained by Police pending further investigations.

Full story HERE

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2012-01-23

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

There you go... as I was saying a couple of days back in a thread that is now closed.

For those who missed my pearls of wisdom, here is what i said again, in edited form:

"I first came to live by the Lake out here on the Darkside in 2005, and apart from a brief flirt with living in Jomtien I have lived out here ever since.

I have seen the area grow from a sparsely populated, almost traffic-free and truly ‘Darkside’ area, (once the sun set), to a bustling area, teeming with new arrivals, both farangs and Thais, and burdened with an incredible increase in traffic on what is not a very good, two lane, twisting highway, containing many hidden and unexpected pot holes.

In 2005 the only restaurant was ‘Khun John’s’ and the only bars were ‘Fisherman’s Rest’, (I still recall its opening day) and ‘Charlie’s’, which is today’s ‘Mannequin Pis’.

Today, the Lakeside area is awash with Motels, bars, restaurants, shops, massage parlours, hair salons and God knows what else, together with a commensurate increase in traffic; from tours buses and trucks, to pickups, to SUV’s to saloon cars to motorcycles, to motorcycle combinations and even a surprising number of pedal cycles – all going hither and thither around the lake .

The traffic has increased to such an extent, that I sometimes fear for my safety when taking my evening walk, and I have recently started to take walking routes off the main lakeside road to avoid the worst of the traffic.

But the other day I was actually walking on the grass verge next to the Lakeside road, about a meter from the tarmac, when I was almost blown off my feet by the turbulence created by a passing motorbike that was going at such speed that I felt he would surely never survive more than a few more minutes. For a few brief moments I actually hoped that he ended up joining John Wilson on the ‘other side’, so angry was I at the man’s thoughtless and dangerous driving.

Of course he was a farang, and I would guess he must have been going well in excess of 140 kms/hr.

Every time I go for my walk I see at least one, sometimes several, farang motorcyclists driving around the lake in a similar manner – not one of them ever wearing a helmet. The road is so dangerous with its twisty hairpin bends, pot holes, cross roads with no rights of way, and last but by no means least, by having to navigate through all manner of traffic, ranging from pedal bicycles to cement trucks.

I would venture to suggest that the fastest safe speed on a road jam-full of obstacles and potential accident victims should be no more than 60 kms/hr. Even then, you need to keep your eyes well open.

Yet these motorcyclists, all of them farangs, seem to think they are indestructible and that they own the road. They should ask one of several motorcyclist farangs that I know of personally who have met their maker on the streets of Pattaya.

And it is not only the farang ‘bikers’ that drive in such an irresponsible manner. There are also many in SUV’s, pickups and cars who also tear around the lake as though they are on a racing track. I see so many of them every day.

Those of you who know me from way back will know that I too have had the odd accident or two on this road, and it is certainly nothing that I am proud of and am very glad that I have put those days far behind me.

I am very fortunate that the only person I ever hurt was myself, as God help me if I had ever done injury to some poor innocent victim. I doubt if I could ever live with myself.

But these days, in my sober state, I see more clearly than ever what a terrible, selfish and dangerous thing these thoughtless, quite often drunk farangs are doing on the roads of the Darkside and I dread to think how many of them end up maimed, dead or at the very least, in a Thai jail."

RIP Christopher Nicholas Gibb. My condolences to his family and friends.

And here is more of what I posted:

"I just returned from my evening walk around the lake.

The first offender was a farang on a large, very noisy motorbike who shot past me at speed - I would guess well in excess of 100km/rh. To be fair he was wearing a helmet, but that's no excuse fopr the speed he was travelling.

Ten minutes later, on my return leg, I witnessed two near accidents in a row, both involving highly dangerous overtaking. The first was a pick-up who was overtaking a line of 3 vehicles and actually ran a motorbike coming the other way off the road. The man wasn't hurt, but he was shaken up and not at all impressed with the farangs in his midst!

Within a few seconds there was a gleaming white Fortuner performing a similar manoeuvre at high speed at almost the same spot. This time, thank God, there no bikes coming the other way, but boy! was that <deleted> Fortuner travelling! And yes, you've guessed it, yet another farang at the wheel.

If you could just see the number of bikes with little families piled on board and rickety bikes with converted side cars selling their wares or loaded up with women and babies, it would make your heart stop when you see the reckless way these farangs are driving.

I know, the Thais shouldn't be allowed to pile up their bikes and side cars with family in such a dangerous manner - but this is Thailand and they do, and nothing is about to change in the foreseeable future.

We should be aware of this and drive accordingly, not behave like arrogant, selfish pr..cks from another planet. "

That post was written a couple of days back. Yesterday, once again, I was out on my walk and I was horrified on several occasions by the speed of the traffic tearing around the lake and in particular the reckless overtaking manoeuvres by a number of SUV's - all, I'm afraid, the dreaded Fortuners.

Then to top it all, there was a farang motorcyclist, without helmet, travelling at great speed who overtook a line of vehicles and haired off into the distance... maybe to meet his maker... who knows?

Maybe we should get some of those election pick-up vehicles with the tannoy systems to drive around the lake all day playing Chris Rea's song 'The Road to Hell'...

Very sad. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

I see so many crazy manuvers, many by farang drivers. Passing on the center line with traffic coming the other direction is usual. Forcing me to move over so they can cruise by. Accidents waiting to happen. And in this case, it did.

Very sad.

LIke Mobi said, traffic is getting worse and worse here.

Indeed very sad,its just hit home to me more so as only 45 minutes ago I was involved in an accident,lucky to walk away with only damage to my motorbike,cause of said accident 13 year old girl 9 year old pillion passenger and a roundabout,did not stop at all,luckily a glancing blow on the front wheel,no one injured.

My condolences to all.

RIP.

That post was written a couple of days back. Yesterday, once again, I was out on my walk and I was horrified on several occasions by the speed of the traffic tearing around the lake and in particular the reckless overtaking manoeuvres by a number of SUV's - all, I'm afraid, the dreaded Fortuners.

Then to top it all, there was a farang motorcyclist, without helmet, travelling at great speed who overtook a line of vehicles and haired off into the distance... maybe to meet his maker... who knows?

Maybe we should get some of those election pick-up vehicles with the tannoy systems to drive around the lake all day playing Chris Rea's song 'The Road to Hell'...

Do you only see farangs?How about the local people the most of them ignore every trafic rule possible.

Why worry so much about speeding Farang motorcyclists without helmets? They're all aware of the risks and more often than not when they die they don't take anyone with them.

It's the cars and trucks that are the killers.

On the bright side of Sukhumvit crazy Thai drivers and motorcyclists outnumber Farangs 1000's to 1. I was surprised you had to use "of course it was a Farang" in relation to crazy driving. I understand you're having a bad run in your area with a few crazy Farang, but it's the Thais you need to fear because they have absolutely no fear.

Edited by tropo

This post is badly titled. He was doing a very risky passing manoeuvre, about as risky as you could possibly imagine. It's not like the on coming vehicle was responsible for killing him. He was just another careless fool taking stupid risks.

Why don't yo take up a collection from residents, buy some concrete and a few signs and put some speedbumps/chicanes down.

Couldn't cost much..

As I stated in the now closed thread, this road is 5 kilometres or more in length and passes through a number of 'villages', 'moobahns', and sundry scattered residential areas.

There have been many new housing estates built both east and west of this road in recent years, all of which which feed onto it. There must be literally thousands of farangs and Thais who now live in the area - quite possibly tens of thousands. Hence the dramatic increase in the amount of traffic.It is simply not practical to try and build speed bumps on such a long stretch of public highway.

Even if you had the money to do such a thing I wouldn't think the local district offices wouldn't be too impressed with a bunch of farangs interfering with their highway management.

As far as me banging on about the farang drivers, well I'm sorry, but in my neck of the woods it is manily the farangs who seem to have lost all sense.

If you go to any rural area in Thailand, and you don't have to go to far out of the Pattaya metropolitan area to find them, you will find that whenever roads pass through local communities or areas where there is a lot of residents and local businesses, the traffic , by and large travels at a sensible speed - usually between 40-60 kms /hr. Yes, some of them break the rules, like cutting out in front of you, but at that speed, generally speaking little harm is done as the traffic is going slow enough to brake in time.

You might get the odd tearaway with a souped up pick-up or bike who drives like a maniac, but in my experience this is a rarity.

I am not in any way condoning Thai driving standards, but whether you like it or not, it is a fact of life. Most of them don't know any better; they have never had any lessons and have never had a a proper driving test and most have not even heard of the Thai highway code. They simply follow the bad driving habits of their peers and perpetuate the system.

Farangs, on the other hand have all learned to drive in their home countries where they are obliged to learn the highway code and pass a strict test.

So why is it that when they come to Thailand they leave all these good driving practices back home? At least the Thais have some excuse - they don't know any better. But the farangs???

And as for having a go at the farang drivers rather than the Thai drivers out by the lake; well the reason is simple. It is by and large the farangs who are driving dangerously. The Thais poodle around the lake on their bikes, pick-ups etc at 40-60 kms/hr and the farangs are all shooting past them at double or even treble that speed on a very dangerous two lane, potholed road with hairpin bends and crossroads with no rights of way or red lights.

If you don't believe me come and see for yourself. Just park up by 'Fisherman's Rest' or 'Rendezvous' and watch the traffic go by for an hour. I guarantee you will be shocked and you also see that 90% of the dangerous drivers are farangs.

As for the comment:

"Why worry so much about speeding Farang motorcyclists without helmets? They're all aware of the risks and more often than not when they die they don't take anyone with them."

- what about the times it is not 'more often or not' and they do take someone with them?

- What about the times when other vehicles are involved? - the trauma to to those involved to say nothing of the damage to other vehicles and property?

- What about the distress to family and friends and dependants?

I could go on and on.....

Why worry so much about speeding Farang motorcyclists without helmets? They're all aware of the risks and more often than not when they die they don't take anyone with them.

Actually, these crazy bike riders do take people out with them. Either others riding by, or pilon riders. Been many cases in the local presss about this. Not to mention the family they leave behind. Pretty bad.

http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry4970635

http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry4849415

http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry3643991

http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry3437722

http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry3255553

http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry2603874

Actually, these crazy bike riders do take people out with them. Either others riding by, or pilon riders. Been many cases in the local presss about this. Not to mention the family they leave behind. Pretty bad.

http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry4970635

http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry4849415

http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry3643991

http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry3437722

http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry3255553

http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry2603874

Well done, you've found some cases of motorcyclists harming others. It's still a small fraction of total accidents on motorcycles. How about you search for links of motorcycles being taken out by cars and do a comparison.

Mobi was making a particular point about motorcycle riders not wearing helmets. If you ask me, it's none of any other peoples' business if an adult motorcyclist wants to take the risk of not using a helmet.

As for the comment:

"Why worry so much about speeding Farang motorcyclists without helmets? They're all aware of the risks and more often than not when they die they don't take anyone with them."

- what about the times it is not 'more often or not' and they do take someone with them?

- What about the times when other vehicles are involved? - the trauma to to those involved to say nothing of the damage to other vehicles and property?

- What about the distress to family and friends and dependants?

I could go on and on.....

You've already gone on and on and on and on about it....

Ok, you worry about crazy motorcyclists and I'll concern myself with mad car and truck drivers. They're the deadly weapons on these roads.

Crazy motorcyclist's and crazy cage drivers are all at fault and dangerous. And frankly if any one who is so stupid as to NOT wear a helmet in this country then more fool them. It does not take much for your brains to be smashed to a pulp inside your head.

also it's actually the law to wear a helmet in Thailand , so it is SOMEONE'S business.smiley_police.gif

But anyways. happy riding and driving.helmet.gif

Just saw it was only a scooter NOT a real bike..shame.

RIP

Edited by metisdead
3) Not to post in a manner that is vulgar, obscene or profane. Profanity removed.

Just for the record, my main point was the dangerous manner in which many farang motorcyclists drive around the lake, and the point about them not wearing helmets was secondary, although also extremely reprehensible.

I don't wish to turn this into a slanging match, but it totally defeats me how anyone can possibly try to justify the not wearing of helmets as 'their free choice'..... Frankly the mind boggles.

I learned today that yet another Brit was killed on a motorcycle in East Pattaya on the same day as the man this thread was opened about. He was driving back from Mabprachan to Pattaya after having had a 'skin-full' at a lakeside bar and had a fatal accident in Nern Plub Wan.

No helmet, and I understand his brains were scattered all over the road. I don't know the man, but I have seen him a couple of times and he was living with a girl who I do know. Another acquaintance of mine had to call the deceased family and break the news and of course they were absolutely distraught, as no doubt is the girl. More grief and trauma to countless friends and relatives, both here and in the UK

I have no idea if a helmet would have saved him, but certainly without one he had no chance.

When are these guys going to learn they are dicing with death every time they get on their machines and the very least they can do is drive slowly and carefully and wear proper protection.

RIP both Brits.... it really is becoming a bit of a litany....

also it's actually the law to wear a helmet in Thailand , so it is SOMEONE'S business.smiley_police.gif

If adults want to ride motorcycles in Thailand without helmets it is their risk, their business. There's plenty of dangerous activities adults can partake of, it's just one more. Call them stupid if you like, but they are all aware of the risk and choose to take it.

This law you speak of is nonsense anyway. All you need to wear (legally) is something which covers your head and looks like a helmet. It's nothing more than a revenue raiser for the police. If the police were truly concerned about public safety on the road, which they most definitely are not, they'd be dozens of far more dangerous activities to police before they started zeroing in on helmetless bikers.

Edited by tropo

I don't wish to turn this into a slanging match, but it totally defeats me how anyone can possibly try to justify the not wearing of helmets as 'their free choice'..... Frankly the mind boggles.

The mind boggles that you just don't get it.

It is free choice. There are plenty of dangerous activities available to free thinking adults. This is not a nanny state like where you came from.

Let's ban every dangerous activity and live in padded cells, shall we?

Yes, I am justifying free choice regarding helmets. In case you don't see it, a very large percentage of Thais also embrace this free choice. When the cops are gone at midnight the helmets all come off. The biggest danger is dodging fallen helmets.

For the record - I ALWAYS wear my helmet, but that's my choice and I don't begudge others who choose a more dangerous course. We're all going to die sooner or later.

Perhaps you're losing the stomach for living here - it happens to the best of them.

Edited by tropo

Sorry, but you don't get it. Who get's hurt here? How about the relatives? The mother who now has to come to Thialand to recover the body of her son. The kids and wives who've now lost the main bread winner in the family. The son who now has to grow up without a father.

And there's still the issue of medical care. If you survive, and are a vegetable, whose going to pay for the bills? This is one big reason helmet laws were put into place in California. The huge medical costs for brain dead bike riders. Citizens who ride responsibly should'nt have to reach into their pockets for those who don't.

Of course, those 300B helemets aren't going to do a thing to help you anyway. A proper, full face helmet is they only way to go.

• Like 1

Sorry, but you don't get it. Who get's hurt here? How about the relatives? The mother who now has to come to Thialand to recover the body of her son. The kids and wives who've now lost the main bread winner in the family. The son who now has to grow up without a father.

And there's still the issue of medical care. If you survive, and are a vegetable, whose going to pay for the bills? This is one big reason helmet laws were put into place in California. The huge medical costs for brain dead bike riders. Citizens who ride responsibly should'nt have to reach into their pockets for those who don't.

Of course, those 300B helemets aren't going to do a thing to help you anyway. A proper, full face helmet is they only way to go.

He is grasping at straws, and his argument flies in the face of facts and worldwide opinion.

Respected research over many years has clearly demonstrated that wearing an approved helmet reduce the risk of death by just under 40%, and all EU countries, plus many more throughout the world have similar helmet laws to Thailand.

So most of the world has got it wrong and Tropo is right?

To say that the helmet law in Thailand has only been introduced as a 'revenue raiser' for the police is laughable nonsense. Go to Bangkok and try to assess how much the police are making from helmet transgressors: probably zero, as 99% of all the motorcyclists you see on the Bangkok roads wear helmets. What happened to the Thai's free spirit there? I have no doubt that one day it will be the same in Pattaya.

You might as well say that the alcohol drinking regulations, or the drug laws or gambling laws or just about any other law you can think of were only enacted to provide the police with a source of income. Laughable, isn’t it?

Edited by Mobi

The problems with falangs and motorcycles is that many have never ridden motorcycles and when they come to Thailand they start doing it without really knowing what they are doing. Thailand is a miserable place to learn to start to ride a motorcycle. Like start off learning in a country where people actually obey traffic laws. The other problem is once they develop a little experience, they have too much confidence.

The maneuver he did was an extremely dangerous one. A more experienced rider would not have done it. A more experienced rider would also know not to do it on a little scooter that does not have enough power to pull off a passing maneuver like that. Even on my CBR1000RR I wouldn't do that.

I hate to criticize the dead, but he is gone (RIP) and the only benefit to it is that others learn from his mistakes.

The problems with falangs and motorcycles is that many have never ridden motorcycles and when they come to Thailand they start doing it without really knowing what they are doing. Thailand is a miserable place to learn to start to ride a motorcycle. Like start off learning in a country where people actually obey traffic laws. The other problem is once they develop a little experience, they have too much confidence.

The maneuver he did was an extremely dangerous one. A more experienced rider would not have done it. A more experienced rider would also know not to do it on a little scooter that does not have enough power to pull off a passing maneuver like that. Even on my CBR1000RR I wouldn't do that.

I hate to criticize the dead, but he is gone (RIP) and the only benefit to it is that others learn from his mistakes.

The only reasonable and sensible post so far in this thread.

According to another thread it would seem that a lot of Thai Visa readers have no problems with two foreign kids aged around 10 years old riding their motorbike around in a crazy manner minus and safety equipment. It is only a matter of time before they are both killed. Here is a link to it: