U.S. Congresswoman Giffords to resign and focus on recovery

News_Editor

U.S. Congresswoman Giffords to resign and focus on recovery

2012-01-23 21:51:31 GMT+7 (ICT)

TUCSON, ARIZONA (BNO NEWS) -- U.S. Representative Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona on Sunday announced she will resign from U.S. Congress to focus on her recovery, more than a year after being shot in the head.

The 41-year-old Democrat, representing Arizona's 8th congressional district since 2007, was critically injured on January 8, 2011, when 22-year-old gunman Jared Lee Loughner opened fire outside a supermarket in northwest Tucson, where Giffords was holding a rally. The shooting attack killed six people, including a 9-year-old girl, and injured 14 others.

Giffords announced her resignation in a two-minute video during which she looks back on her career and urged her colleagues in Congress to work across party lines for the good of the country.

"Arizona is my home, always will be," she said in her statement. "A lot has happened over the past year. We cannot change that. But I know on the issues we fought for, we can change things for the better. Jobs, border security, veterans. We can do so much more by working together."

The office of the Congresswoman said she will submit her letter of resignation later this week to House Speaker John Boehner and Arizona Governor Jan Brewer. The governor will then set the date for special primary and general elections to determine who will serve the remainder of Giffords' term, which expires at the end of 2012.

Before leaving office, Giffords will attend the State of the Union speech on Tuesday evening and is expected to finish her 'Congress On Your Corner' event which was interrupted when Loughner opened fire in January 2011. She will meet with some of the people who were at the event during a private gathering in Tucson.

"She will also meet and thank representatives of her advisory councils and others who have worked with her on issues of importance to her constituents," her office said in a statement. Giffords will also visit the Gabrielle Giffords Family Assistance Center, which was opened in September at the Community Food Bank of Southern Arizona after people donated more than $215,000 in honor of the Congresswoman.

"I don't remember much from that horrible day. But I will never forget the trust you placed in me to be your voice," Giffords said in her video statement. "Thank you for your prayers and for giving me time to recover. I have more work to do on my recovery. So to do what is best for Arizona, I will step down this week. I'm getting better. Every day, my spirit is high. I will return and we will work together for Arizona and this great country."

Responding to the announcement, Boehner thanked Giffords for her service. "I salute Congresswoman Giffords for her service, and for the courage and perseverance she has shown in the face of tragedy," he said in a statement released by his office. "She will be missed."

President Barack Obama also praised Giffords and said she will be missed, but recognized her decision is in the best interest of her constituents. "Gabby Giffords embodies the very best of what public service should be," he said. "She's universally admired for qualities that transcend party or ideology - a dedication to fairness, a willingness to listen to different ideas, and a tireless commitment to the work of perfecting our union. That's why the people of Arizona chose Gabby - to speak and fight and stand up for them."

Obama added: "Over the last year, Gabby and her husband Mark have taught us the true meaning of hope in the face of despair, determination in the face of incredible odds, and now - even after she's come so far - Gabby shows us what it means to be selfless as well. Gabby's cheerful presence will be missed in Washington. But she will remain an inspiration to all whose lives she touched - myself included. And I'm confident that we haven't seen the last of this extraordinary American."

Vice President Joe Biden said he spoke with Giffords' husband, Mark, after Sunday's announcement. "I spoke with Gabby's husband Mark today and told him that the most important thing is Gabby's recovery," he said in a statement released by the White House. "We fully support their decision. I know that Gabby will continue to make significant contributions to her state and country, and I stand with her in whatever endeavor she decides to pursue."

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-01-23