Barclays And Their Bs

Well, I cannot.

I live in Thailand. My UK address is that of a friend. My paypal is UK based and I need a UK bank.

Card expires next month. I downloaded their change of address form, sent it in, with a colour copy of my passport and debit card and a couple of signature samples.

I would think that would be enough. Nope. They need to verify my signature at a local branch. Worried sick about this, as I can only access any sale funds via them. I do not want to have a Thai based paypal.

Any ideas on how to deal with these monkeys? My funds are limited and too low to open an overseas branch account number. HSBC is too expensive.

Thanks

Change to an offshore bank that requires only low monthly balances.

Is it your debit card or credit card that will expire?

Yeap there are some around which only require US$ 2000-3000 to open, but you get hit with monthly bank charges

It even looks like a suitable one comes up on a TV google ads....the banks home office is in South Africa (hint) and they are based out of the UK

Edited by Soutpeel

but i need it to be in a UK address, for paypal reasons.

Why only UK address....what about Singapore or HK

Has it occured to you why they are asking you to come into branch....UK based account and would imagine all withdrawals our and extended period of time are in Thailand.....they arent stupid

Edited by Soutpeel

Change to an offshore bank that requires only low monthly balances.

Is it your debit card or credit card that will expire?

Yeap there are some around which only require US$ 2000-3000 to open, but you get hit with monthly bank charges

It even looks like a suitable one comes up on a TV google ads....the banks home office is in South Africa (hint) and they are based out of the UK

You see those ads as well? I thought I only see them because I have their cookies as I have accounts with them.

No monthly fees though if you maintain your minimum balance (GBP3,000), internet banking and debit cards in 3 curerncies. 20 Quid to transfer funds to Thailand. No credit cards though.

Don't know anything about paypal but IoM counts as UK for some banking purposes eg. my insurance company cannot accept payments from overseas, but it accepts them from my IoM account, same with recieving payments that must be to a UK account, they use UK sort codes. OP should check with paypal or the bank?

Edit: there's nothing to stop someone with a UK address from having an account in IoM.

Edited by PattayaParent

but i need it to be in a UK address, for paypal reasons.

Why only UK address....what about Singapore or HK

Has it occured to you why they are asking you to come into branch....UK based account and would imagine all withdrawals our and extended period of time are in Thailand.....they arent stupid

Does he mean the bank has to have a UK address? or he has to have one?

You see those ads as well? I thought I only see them because I have their cookies as I have accounts with them.

No monthly fees though if you maintain your minimum balance (GBP3,000), internet banking and debit cards in 3 curerncies. 20 Quid to transfer funds to Thailand. No credit cards though.

Are they any good ?.....looking at opening another offshore account..and one with the Southern African bank mentioned could be useful for future

Are they any good ?.....looking at opening another offshore account..and one with the Southern African bank mentioned could be useful for future

Alliance and Leicester in the IOM, no monthly charges.

Heres what I did....

I live in Bangkok, and use a friends address in UK. I set up mail redirection (International) with Post Office so that all my mail gets redirected to Bangkok automatically for a year (max 2 years) for a fee of 135 pounds. My credit and debit cards have all been delivered here no problem, eliminating the crappy UK rules from the banks. I also just renewed online for the second year. After that I will have to think of another strategy !

Hope this helps.

I have to have a UK address. Debit card is used with paypal UK, unfortunately.

I will call them tonight and try to smoothe things over. Will update. I have a cunning plan......

Do you need the UK address for Paypal? Or for receiving your debit card?

If for Paypal don't tell them you've moved.

If for recieving your debit card, no problem to recieve in Thailand from IoM banks.

You can open an account in IoM with a UK address. Of course you need proof of address but that will be easy if you recieve bank statements from Barclays at your friends address.

Excellent. Not had a problem with them.

At first I used to get calls for verification of transactions but now since the transactions are always the same no more calls so no delays in action.

Edit: I chose them because at the time they were one of only 2 banks I could find that would give GBP and US$ accounts with no monthly fees, low balance requirements, give a debit card in both currencies and a cheque book for GBP.

Edit: I'm talking about current accounts, not savings accounts by the way.

Edited by PattayaParent

Well, I called them. My signature did not match what they had from 3 years back.

After the girl insisted that I come in to a branch, even if I have to fly there, I simply told her that is out of the question.

She put a manager on.

All I need to do, and this will help others, I hope, is this: Go into your local Thai bank account, preferably to an English speak rep and have them photocopy the passport details. They then have to write "I certify this to be the passport of Ting Tong", signed by them and throw in their business card.

Then write a letter to Barclays requesting the new card ( along with the blue change of address form).

Then, after the card is issued, call another number to get the new pinsentry machine.

A drawn out process, but it is doable, apparently.

I never said that.

They will not allow a Thai address, unless you have their offshore account.

No, they will send it only to a UK address.

I have a UK shipping address, but had to change to another, as the other place has been taken over by another family.