Four Dead, 20 Injured In Thai Fireworks Blast

webfact

Explosions in Suphan Buri leave four dead and 20 injured

The Nation

30174458-01_big.jpg

Suphan Buri: -- A series of explosions, going off concurrently with a Chinese New Year fireworks in Suphan Buri, killed four people, one of them a fireman, and seriously wounded 20 others.

The explosions also set 50 homes ablaze. The fireworks display at Dragon Park in Suphan Buri's Muang district kicked off at around 7.30pm, before several blasts started taking place, injuring several members of the public who were viewing the display. Exact numbers of those wounded were not available.

Also, fires were seen erupting at several locations at press time, though certain reports said the blazes had been brought under control.

Veteran politician Jongchai Thingtham said the explosions had taken place during the final set of the display, and politicians Banharn and Chumphol Silapa-archa, who were among the crowd, were not hurt by the blasts.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-01-25

• Like 1

Three dead, dozens injured in Thai fireworks blast

BANGKOK, January 25, 2012 (AFP) - Three people were killed and around 40 injured when fireworks at a Chinese New Year celebration in Thailand caused a huge explosion and set fire to nearby homes, police said Tuesday.

Flaming shrapnel from the fireworks rained down on a residential area behind the Chinese temple in Suphan Buri provincial town, northwest of Bangkok, where the official event was taking place.

"We think the explosion was an accident. The fire is under control but we will keep monitoring it," said local police commander Reera Butrpho.

He said those killed and some of those wounded had been among spectators watching the finale of the fireworks display when the explosion happened.

The resulting blaze, which tore through a row of wooden houses near the event, also caused several injuries, police said.

Images broadcast on Thai television showed homes and vehicles engulfed in flames and people being rushed to hospital on stretchers.

Thailand's TNN channel reported that the three killed were part of the firework team and one injured person was in a critical condition.

One witness, Krianee Kitpat, said she was standing in front of her home when the accident happened.

"I saw the fireworks coming directly towards my house and ran inside," she said, explaining that she was injured by shards of glass as the impact of the projectile shattered a fish tank.

Suran Sahaidee, a monk from a nearby Buddhist temple, said the blast happened in the third display of the evening.

"The fireworks exploded at a low level and then fell into a tent where they were storing the fireworks and it caused a huge blast and a fire," he told TNN.

The news report said 20 homes were completely destroyed in the blaze and a further 30 were damaged.

Suphan Buri governor Somsak Phureesrisak said he had ordered tents to be set up near the residential area, believed to comprise of around 100 houses, but did not give details of the number of people evacuated.

"People do not want to stay too far away from their homes because they are concerned about their property," he said.

The New Year celebration was attended by Deputy Prime Minister Chumpol Silpa-archa and his brother, former Thai Prime Minister, Banharn Silpa-archa. Neither were believed to have been hurt.

Thailand has a large ethnic Chinese population and the advent of the Year of the Dragon has been widely celebrated across the country.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-01-25

'The New Year celebration was attended by Deputy Prime Minister Chumpol Silpa-archa and his brother, former Thai Prime Minister, Banharn Silpa-archa. Neither were believed to have been hurt.'

pity....where's a flood when you need it..

A senseless loss of life. They stored the fire works in a tent close enough to be hit by one of the fireworks they were setting off....wow

Suphanburi governor affirms 1 more death totaling 4; organizers to hold press conference at 8am to clarify cause of explosion /TANN

Warawut, Banharn's son, affirms organizers will compensate all injuries, damage; each house destroyed will receive initial payment of Bt30,000 /TANN

When I saw Banharn and Silpa-Archa sitting there with their smug faces sick.gif , after Barnharn role in the flooding, I hoped that soon something bad will happen to them (pure karmic thinking, not more). But again the poor have to pay for their stupidity and carelessness. Sad.

Three killed, 70 injured in Suphan Buri fireworks explosion

image_2012012509432412BF0A09-C3FB-7623-37E88C907DADDC5E.jpg

SUPHAN BURI, Jan 25 -- At least three people were killed and over 70 were injured in a Chinese Lunar New Year celebration fireworks explosion tragedy in the central province of Suphan Buri on Tuesday night.

Fireworks prepared to celebrate the New Year celebration at the Suphan Buri City Pillar Shrine accidentally exploded at about 7.30pm, starting a fire which enveloped more than 100 homes after burning fireworks fragments fell into a crowded neighbourhood of largely wooden homes nearby.

Police are investigating the cause of the tragedy, whether the blasts were caused by malfunctioning or failure of equipment, or by human error.

In addition to the burned homes, many structures in the Wat Phra That community were damaged by the explosion of the fireworks. Wat Phra That itself was also damaged by the blaze.

Former premier Banharn Silpa-archa, advisory chairman of the Chartthaipattana Party; his younger brother Minister of Tourism and Sports Chumpol Silpa-archa were reportedly at the event during the fireworks display but left the scene safely.

Mr Banharn, a long-running MP for Suphan Buri, apologised publicly for the tragedy, the loss of life and property, and pledged to compensate the victims and their families.

Minister of Public Health Wittaya Buranasiri visited the survivors at two hospitals in the province last night said that three were killed at the scene and 74 people were injured.

Fifty-four persons were discharged from hospital after treatment while 20 others remained in two local hospitals, Chao Phraya Yomaraj and Supamitr, where two victims are in critical condition. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-01-25

3 who died in Suphanburi firecracker explosion are in charge of lighting firecrackers;base housing firecrackers believed to have tilted

Suphanburi governor orders initial compensation for those injured in firecracker explosion at Bt3,000/person,Bt30,000/house destroyed

/TANN

Until Karma can b proved scientifically, it will always remain the dream of a thousand hippies.

When I saw Banharn and Silpa-Archa sitting there with their smug faces sick.gif , after Barnharn role in the flooding, I hoped that soon something bad will happen to them (pure karmic thinking, not more). But again the poor have to pay for their stupidity and carelessness. Sad.

Chinese New Year fireworks killed at least 4 and injured dozens in Suphan Buri

BANGKOK, 25 January 2012 (NNT) – A series of explosions during a Chinese New Year fireworks display killed at least four revelers and injured dozens of others on Tuesday night.

The explosions occurred while Mr. Banharn Silpa-archa, Chief Advisor to the Chart Thai Pattana Party and Chairman of the Chinese New Year celebration in Suphan Buri, was attending performances at one side of the festival ground “Dragon Park”.

More than 20 houses were set ablaze while some 30 cars were damaged by the explosions.

The police who were at the explosion site reportedly suspected an inadequate location of fireworks launches as the cause of the incident.

Meanwhile, Mr. Warawut Silpa-archa, who is Mr. Banharn's son and an organizing committee member, said the organizers of the event will provide all needed help for the victims of the explosions.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-01-25 footer_n.gif

Until Karma can b proved scientifically, it will always remain the dream of a thousand hippies.

oh please. Its also called cause and effect did not some one say for action there is an equal and opposite reaction. you do something bad or good and it creates a reaction. Its not rocket science, just common sense

• Like 2

Yikes... near where I live, in the US there is a professional pyrotechnic manufacturer of great reputation and their shows are indeed, incredible.

Their company put on several hundred displays each year throughout the country. Most are projectiles that are shot from 4-6" mortars. The "package" sits on top of a charge in the mortar and at the proper time it is electronically ignited lobbing the "shell" 600-1200' in the air.

A very experienced person a few years back couldn't figure out why one mortar had not discharged and thinking that perhaps the shell had not been put in it leaned over and looked into the mortar shell.... I don't think I need to tell what happened next.

There must have been a boatload of pyrotechnics in that tent... what a sad occurrence...

'The New Year celebration was attended by Deputy Prime Minister Chumpol Silpa-archa and his brother, former Thai Prime Minister, Banharn Silpa-archa. Neither were believed to have been hurt.'

pity....where's a flood when you need it..

A senseless loss of life. They stored the fire works in a tent close enough to be hit by one of the fireworks they were setting off....wow

No need to bash them for where they put the tent, they all had their amulets on like they were supposed to.

There are basically 3 explanation matters why things happen the way they do:

1. There is this perfect guy sitting somewhere who, although perfect, decided to make us significantly less so for some reason and make a mess of things and who also seems to have a sick sense of humor and decides who will die today.

2. Everything is random.

3. Life is cause & effect, we make our own lifes through our actions.

Easy pick, IMHO.

Once again one has to put it down to health and safety....unheard of here.

Health and safety did not cause this event.

I think that it might be more accurate to say "the lack of health and safety" was a major factor in the event occurring. But 'TIT' and nothing is gonna change.

I don't know about here but in europe anyone getting involved in fireworks need a K4 certification , its a 1-2 week course in explosive handling and professional fireworks setup and security. the course is quite expensive and you also need it if you want to work for cinema special FX on everything involving bullet impacts or explosions .

I guess here anyone and his dog can improvise themselves a rugierri representative and blow up a whole village.

I knew a Thai who did the installation work for these professional firework displays. He had very little training, very little concept of safety and was very slap dash in his attitude. The problem is cultural I believe. Lack of education and no concerns for safety; you see it all the time in Thailand. Another day in Thailand, another tragedy? These will only reduce when the mindset changes. Hate to be negative but I don't want to die here and I am always aware of maintaining my own personal safety. Otherwise you just become a victim and another statistic?

• Like 2

I'm not a hippy and I believe in karma, it is a great misconception among many people, it is simple cause and effect on a simple level, but to study it in depth, the effects only arrise when the conditions are ripe. So that comment is somewhat ignorant IMO

This again was a loss of life and cause of suffering because of complacency combined with bad luck. RIP to those who have died and to all of those effected by this tragic event.

Edited by TomTom55

Veteran politician Jongchai Thingtham said the explosions had taken place during the final set of the display, and politicians Banharn and Chumphol Silapa-archa, who were among the crowd, were not hurt by the blasts.

Glad he was so concerned for the non-politicians that were not killed or injured too!

• Like 1

I knew a Thai who did the installation work for these professional firework displays. He had very little training, very little concept of safety and was very slap dash in his attitude. The problem is cultural I believe. Lack of education and no concerns for safety; you see it all the time in Thailand. Another day in Thailand, another tragedy? These will only reduce when the mindset changes. Hate to be negative but I don't want to die here and I am always aware of maintaining my own personal safety. Otherwise you just become a victim and another statistic?

Yes the problem is cultural. Not their culture are culture we leave it but still want it so we look down on any thing that is different.

The big difference is Thai's are not afraid to live Westerners are so afraid of dying (as if they could stop it) that they can not live just exist.

• Like 1

I'm not a hippy and I believe in karma, it is a great misconception among many people, it is simple cause and effect on a simple level, but to study it in depth, the effects only arrise when the conditions are ripe. So that comment is somewhat ignorant IMO

This again was a loss of life and cause of suffering because of complacency combined with bad luck. RIP to those who have died and to all of those effected by this tragic event.

You say "complacency combined with bad luck"

In other words it had nothing to do with karma?

Yes the problem is cultural. Not their culture are culture we leave it but still want it so we look down on any thing that is different.

The big difference is Thai's are not afraid to live Westerners are so afraid of dying (as if they could stop it) that they can not live just exist.

Sorry but that's a pretty ignorant attitude.

So what you're saying is Thais are not afraid to live by driving around without helmets or putting their kids in front of their lap while on a motorcycle. Or ignoring the basics of common sense dangers. Or ignoring and respecting road safety.

Then excuse me for not living.