BMA, Govt To Jointly Help Keep Bangkok Dry

webfact

BMA, govt to jointly help keep Bangkok dry

The Nation

30174609-01_big.jpg

Plodprasob vows the deal with 'fully protect economic zones'

BANGKOK: -- The government and the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) jointly agreed yesterday to push for a better floodprevention system for the capital, in a move that a minister said would "fully protect economic zones".

Science Minister Plodprasob Surassawadee said this agreement should ease worries about Bangkok getting submerged. "Even if there is a flood, it will stay for just a while and with minimal impact," he said.

Plodprasob spoke to reporters after emerging from a meeting on means to improve Bangkok's water management. Deputy Bangkok Governor Thirachon Manomaipiboon was also present at the meeting held at Government House.

As per the agreement, the government will help BMA in its floodprevention strategy, and some ministries will also be put in charge of tackling flood problems directly in certain Bangkok areas.

To date, the BMA has received about Bt1.96 billion for floodprevention operations from the government. Plodprasop said the money would be spent on repairing damaged embankments along waterways, installing pumps and waterflow accelerators, as well as improving the waterdrainage system of Rapipat Canal.

"The BMA will also have qualified authorities, such as the military, dredge Bangkok's 29 key canals," Plodprasop said as he explained the details of the agreement.

Under the arrangement, the Royal Thai Navy will provide 100 waterflow accelerators, which will be used when the situation calls for it.

"The Army will also dredge 347 small canals at the cost of Bt770 million," the minister said.

As for the blocked drainage in some housing estates, he said the Interior Ministry and BMA would speak to the concerned private parties about the problem.

"BMA and the Strategic Committee for Water Resources Management [sCWRM] will also jointly develop an integrated earlywarning system," Plodprasop said.

He added that according to the agreement, all relevant parties were required to be efficient in releasing runoffs from upstream provinces.

Under the agreement, the Interior Ministry will be responsible of helping people understand the principles of water drainage in order to prevent confrontations at provincial border areas. During last year's flood crisis, serious rows broke out among communities as people started believing that some areas were being protected at the cost of others.

"The Interior and the Natural Resources and Environment ministries are in the process of setting up floodresponse plans as well as building a stock of water pumps, accelerators and life vests," Plodprasob said yesterday.

He added that the BMA would also solve the problem of residents encroaching on small canals by the end of this year. "However, both the BMA and the government will have to tackle the encroachment issues related to big canals such as Premprachakorn and Bang Sue," Plodprasob said.

He added that under the agreement, relevant authorities were expected to efficiently release runoff water via the east of Bangkok. "It has also been agreed that large dams will be given priority in flood prevention. Agricultural purposes will come later," Plodprasob said.

When asked if political conflicts would affect floodprevention efforts again, Plodprasob said: "The deputy governor has agreed that we need to set political differences aside."

At a separate interview, Thirachon thanked the central government for supporting the BMA in its efforts to protect the capital from floods.

"This is a good sign," he said, adding that the BMA would transfer Bt67.5 million to the Army so it can start dredging the 29 canals soon. The dredging operation should be completed in six months.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-01-27

Only if they do piss-poor management again of the yearly floods in the central plain...I think the current govt probably has the capability to make it two in a row. But I seriously hope they get their act together this year as I don't want to see a repeat of last year's flood...for me, I experienced a month's worth of 1 to 1.5 meter deep water in my western Bangkok moobaan during Nov/early Dec 11.

The Navy will supply 100 water accelerators ???? What the hell are they ? Not a load of little boats revving their guts out like in the last flood I hope.. and the Army will do the dredging ! Doesnt Thailand have any council workers to do the work of clearing the waterways. ( I can see a great cartoon coming up ! )