Tourist Police Chief Says Pattaya 'Completely Safe' From Terrorist Attack

webfact

“Pattaya City is completely safe from terrorist attacks.” Why make an idiotic statement such as? You can not claim that any city in the world is completely safe. Why not say, "there is a low probability of a terrorist attack in Pattaya". All it takes is an idiot or two with handguns to open fire in a crowded place, such as a night-club/disco, mall or hotel to be considered a terrorist attack. The worlds most trained and financed security organizations can not prevent all occurences of terrorism from happening. So, to claim that a city is completely safe from terrorist attacks, shows a lack of understanding of what constitutes a terrorist attack. Lt. Col. Arun's statements highlight his ignorance concerning terrorism, methods used, and the people who carry out the terrorist act.

Some terrorist are homegrown and may already reside in Thailand/Pattaya.

Some terrorist act alone and may not communicate with anyone else.

All acts of terrorism can not be prevented, therefore disaster response teams should be training to deal with all types of disasters. Why didn't Lt. Col. Arun mention disaster preparedness?. Do pattaya have disaster preparedness and emergency response teams that are capable of dealing with mass casualties, explosives, different types of chemical and biological weapons (airborne)?

I would take more comfort if Lt. Col. Arun said, While the probability of a terrorist attack is low in Pattaya, I have security officers deployed throughout the city in a show of force and gathering intel, our disaster preparedness teams are looking over protocols/policies and are training and partaking in drills to ensure a proper response. With his statement of being completely safe, now that makes me worry!

For one day, after that Lebanese guy was detained, they stopped motorbikes entering Central Festival to inspect under the seats. I guess the danger has really passed.

I guess this guy has a direct line to all the terrorist organizations, so the embassies can just call on him for their info now. In Pattaya the Tourist Police are worse than the Boys In Brown. It's embarressing to watch these falangs "Strut Their Stuff" every night.

i find them quite amusing (Farang ones), they are obviously taking the task of high profile policing to deter the terrorist seriously, i saw one on his motor bike with his police helmet on, and to to act as an extra deterant his girlfriend also had one onclap2.gifjerk.gif

Edited by RakSamui

It should be remembered that when a dead westerner is found with hands tied behind his back; plastic bag on head; beaten, battered and bruised; safe emptied and room ransacked; video showing scenes of torture prior to death; the police describe it as a suicide.

Therefore, applying the same logic exercised by the police Pattaya is safe from terrorist attack. It is also from from sunshine or flooding, scamming and of course ........................ like all of Thailand ........................... free from prostitution.

oh dear ....................

So they have 40 fulltime officers & 200 partime volunteers. Hmm I'm thinking how many of these will have done any anti terroist training.

Would also be interesting to know what nationality's the volunteers are & if they need/have work permits? If not Thai nationals.

jb1

I don't think Pattaya was particularly on the Hezbollah guys' radar...

But it's idiotic statements like the one made in the OP that remind us all how un-credible the police and other authorities are....

Tourism and money first... Safety and security, last.

It might be on the list from the South Thailand radical muslims,plenty of Terrorism due south

LOL Is it comedy day at Thai Visa?

1) The Pattaya police can't even keep the low level local scam punks at bay in Pattaya. 2) The Thai ARMY can't even control local terrorism in the south of Thailand. They don't stand a chance in Pattaya.

Unless of course by "terrorists" they mean "police" and they are not currently hiring more police, unless of course you count the fake police they arrest every week there.

But how about they stop the jet ski scam first, then worry about Muslim extremists.