Toaster Ovens, Where Did They All Go?

Tywais

My lovely toaster oven's top heating elements have stopped and looking to replace the oven as this one is quite a few years old. This is not your tiny little toaster oven but large enough to do pork roast, bake cakes/pies, broil hamburger/chicken and has a rotisserie motor in it. Believe it cost less than 3k Baht when I got it. Went to BigC (Hang Dong road), Tesco Lotus, Home Pro, Global House and not a sign of toaster ovens of any type - well Home pro had two including otto brand but tiny ones. Seems microwaves has replaced them on the shelves at all these locations. Global House didn't even know what I was talking about and showed me some nice 40k+ Baht built in designer models. biggrin.png

Have they just lost popularity, effect of floods or what? Anyway, anyone seen one's similar in size to the one below?

otto.jpg

They have them at Siam TV, on the moat.

I bought mine there, exactly like you describe. Tefal brand, and cheap.

If that fails, but I don't think it will, try Baker's Mart on the old Lamphun Road south of Aom Muang and before you get to 69 Plaza. They have small kitchen appliances too.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Thanks for the suggestions. A Makro is pretty close to me so will make a run over this weekend. Dismantled it and found one of the 4 nichrome wire/quartz tube elements was 4 times the resistance of the others. Repairing it was an emergency after thought but as you can see from the photo it's been pretty well used and time for a new one.

I noticed a good selection at Robinson AP yesterday. From the tiny "toast-only" toasters, to the big enough to roast a turkey. Prices from 2,000ish to well over 30k.

Thanks for the suggestions. A Makro is pretty close to me so will make a run over this weekend. Dismantled it and found one of the 4 nichrome wire/quartz tube elements was 4 times the resistance of the others. Repairing it was an emergency after thought but as you can see from the photo it's been pretty well used and time for a new one.

Current Makro catalogue has one listed as follows

Manufacturer House Worth

Capacity 42 litres

Consumption 2Kw

Cost 3,590 baht

Photo looks very much like your one. Think ok for home use, if for restaurant/ commercial use will need something stronger and, probably more expensive.

Current Makro catalogue has one listed as follows

Manufacturer House Worth

Capacity 42 litres

Consumption 2Kw

Cost 3,590 baht

Photo looks very much like your one. Think ok for home use, if for restaurant/ commercial use will need something stronger and, probably more expensive.

Those specs and price looks quite good for me. My current one is just under 2kW and similar capacity.

I want to thank everyone for their input, saved me a lot of time running around as I had already hit 4 stores with no luck. Went to Robinson as recommended and they have a very nice selection, some pretty big. I resisted the really big ones though and got one that is a little larger than my previous one for 2990 Baht. It says Zanussi on the front but it is an Electrolux. I have an Electrolux 2 door frig for nearly 15 years with no problems so thought I would keep it in the family. biggrin.png It has a rotisserie, rack and drip/roast pan and a circulating fan.

The tin can is for size perspective.

post-566-0-07002400-1328263356_thumb.jpg

My first use of the new oven. I often made cakes in my previous oven but no matter how I timed it or settings I used it always came out looking like Mount Vesuvius after erupting. This one came out significantly better and more accurate timing. Two differences are a larger area in the oven and a circulating fan that can be turned on to better distribute the heat.

post-566-0-45880100-1328356042_thumb.jpg

post-566-0-20391200-1328356194_thumb.jpg