• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Devil's Island in Thailand?

Fantastic, a Thai Alcazar sorry Alcatraz smile.png

Thailand already has one.... or had one.

They could simply re-open the prison on Koh Tarutao.

It has already had its torture pits reconstructed.

Just make sure the island prison remains supplied this time around so as to prevent the guards and prisoners working together as

The Pirates of Tarutao.

(very good book).

Oh, Buchholz, I do hope you got the book out of a library and didn't buy one. Otherwise your money would have gone to a TRT Politician, Pongpol Adireksarn aka Paul Adirex, giggle.gif . Cue response comparing Thaksin/PTP/banned TRT/Red Shirts to "The Pirates of Tarutao"...........

What? I thought he's a retired politician. I read the "King Kong Effect" also a very good book. Tho' "Pirates of Tarutao" is more exciting.

In 1976 I had the dubious pleasure of being in Taiwan as a student. While checking in at the hostel I lived at for a few days, I witnessed a public execution by firing squad of 3 young men on live TV, ages 17 to 19. They had held up a 'factory' with knives and took the owners wristwatches. Apprehended in a matter of minutes of the execution of the crime, they were swiftly tried and executed three days after. Any crime involving 2 or more perpetrators was considered 'conspiracy against the government' and punishable by death.

I had a group of 5 businessmen for a private English class. We met once a week at a restaurant in the evening for English conversation. After our meal one evening as we walked down a busy street, there was a woman hunched over in a squat position, back bent so her stomach was against her knees and she had to move like a crab. When I stopped to put a few almost worthless coins in her cup, one of my students angrily stopped me, telling me that she was a criminal. At the time, Taiwan sent their criminals to an island where they were housed in 'tiger cages' and their knees calcified and given a few years, they would never walk again.

Say what you will about cruel and unusual punishment - a strong visual deterrent led to a very low crime rate. Not that I recommend such punishment for drug offenders, but I would wager that if such a fate were the outcome for persons convicted, you would most likely not see much of a drug problem.

• Like 1

Why bother and feed such criminals?...now even a beach property should be wasted for them....

Convicted and then a bullet in the head and burned! ....or maybe just burn them to Hell and not waste the bullet!

I second that. Drug dealers should not be kept prisoners. They are a virus in society that must be eradicated.

• Like 1

The good major seems to have been arrested and Bt3 million of assets seized by the cops. Expensive,drug dealer type car?

Appears only now almost 3 years later is the Major being brought to court.

Seems to be a military drug group operating here, middle ranking officer plus a senior NCO. Perhaps no one wanted to make a fuss.

Seems there might be a lot more to this story.

A few people in the military does not make the entire military corrupt.

True.....but the fact that they allow the corruption does.

There's nothing that says they allow the corruption, they just don't know who's doing what 24 hours a day. How could you ?

A major in the RTA is arrested by the ONDC and assets worth Bt3 million are taken from him.

How likely is it that:

1. The ONDC didn't inform the relevant military authorities in Region 3 either before or immediately after the arrest. Treading on toes is always a tricky game to play.
  2. No one in the RTA noticed/heard that the gallant major had been nicked and his flash car or whatever, had gone awol, and subsequently reported this up the chain of command.

I never stated that the entire RTA is corrupt or engaged in criminal activities, but this case does show that some RTA members are involved in drug trafficking, and if the military authorities were unaware of the arrest of one of their officers until now, one of the organizations involved in this case is, at best, stunningly lax.

Edited by folium
  • Like 1

My Brother-in-law was recently sentenced to ten years in prison for dealing in Yabba. The quantities he traded in were relatively small, and, because it was his first offence, or the first offence for which he faced trial, the sentence has been reduced to 5 years if he behaves himself in gaol.

Regrettably he used most of the family's assets to pay the police not to seek prosecution when he was caught dealing before.

I visited him last week and I was surprised but pleased that he had been placed on a work programme to learn carpentry and joinery. He seemed genuinely remorseful. I think most of his actions on the outside were the result of his own drug addiction.

Provided his particular incarceration is in a drug free environment I think there is a chance he will be a reformed character and a useful member of society when he is released.

If there was to be an island prison free of drugs that would seem a good idea, but I feel that prisoner's remoteness from the support of their families through visits will hinder rather than help rehabilitation.

With that in mind I cannot endorse the idea of island prisons

Edited by metisdead
Font reset, use default forum font and color (black) when posting.
  • Like 1

Even if you send all drug dealers to devils island and cut out their tongues do you really think this will stop others taking their place??? This is a war that simply cannot be won, you just have to look at Americas futile attempts along with many other countries. I have no idea what the answer is to this horrible yabba and meth problem but i'm 100% sure this aint it!

Yes because the top guys never get caught! Same everywhere.

I thought Thailand had the death penalty for drug dealers. Well, if not, Thailand should have the death penalty for convicted drug dealers. Vietnam and some other countries have the death penalty for drug dealers. Dealers deserve the death penalty and it surely would be a lot cheaper than building a jail.

You can't be serious......jap.gif

A major in the RTA is arrested by the ONDC and assets worth Bt3 million are taken from him.

How likely is it that:

1. The ONDC didn't inform the relevant military authorities in Region 3 either before or immediately after the arrest. Treading on toes is always a tricky game to play.
  2. No one in the RTA noticed/heard that the gallant major had been nicked and his flash car or whatever, had gone awol, and subsequently reported this up the chain of command.

I never stated that the entire RTA is corrupt or engaged in criminal activities, but this case does show that some RTA members are involved in drug trafficking, and if the military authorities were unaware of the arrest of one of their officers until now, one of the organizations involved in this case is, at best, stunningly lax.

assets worth 3 million baht is nothing to someone who has worked for 10 years and saves money and invest wisely, even in Thailand. Especially if there are family properties which do not require someone to make mortgage payments any longer.

Not everyone in Thailand is poor.

Why would the military know about his arrest? Do the police inform your employer when you get arrested? No they don't. There is no obligation to inform the military when someone gets arrested. Why would they?

Should they tell the military everytime some Somchai gets pinched? A lot of people here and in America have the option of going into the military to 'avoid' incarceration when in the face of the judge.

I just watched Escape from Alcatraz and i can tell you that island prisons don't work as I watched Clint Eastwood escape with my own eyes. And it wasn't all that hard. So I favor the old fashion chain gang and make them work for a living (if you call that living). Of course in "Cool Hand Luke" Paul Newman escaped so what to do, what to do?.

• Like 1

Isn't corruption an equally serious crime and substantially more a threat to society. Why is it corruption is so tolerated in society when drugs are not tolerated at all - except tobacco and alcohol of course.

I wonder would it be something to do with most drug convictions involve poor and uneducated souls who would otherwise struggle to make a living whilst the corrupt are all living in nice big houses with fancy cars and plenty of contacts.

Sickens me!

• Like 2

Even if you send all drug dealers to devils island and cut out their tongues do you really think this will stop others taking their place??? This is a war that simply cannot be won, you just have to look at Americas futile attempts along with many other countries. I have no idea what the answer is to this horrible yabba and meth problem but i'm 100% sure this aint it!

While your solution is a tad barbarous, it is certainly an advance on extra-judicial murder of suspected drug dealers. You could sugest it to your MP, it might get a run.

extra-judicial seemed to be working !

Legalize drugs, tax them, eliminate the criminal element, use the revenues for services to help users quit and education for prevention.

Oh yes, and what will you do with the massive influx of the worlds riff raf. To start with the majority of us would have to move.

How likely is it that:

assets worth 3 million baht is nothing to someone who has worked for 10 years and saves money and invest wisely, even in Thailand. Especially if there are family properties which do not require someone to make mortgage payments any longer.

Not everyone in Thailand is poor.

Why would the military know about his arrest? Do the police inform your employer when you get arrested? No they don't. There is no obligation to inform the military when someone gets arrested. Why would they?

Should they tell the military everytime some Somchai gets pinched? A lot of people here and in America have the option of going into the military to 'avoid' incarceration when in the face of the judge.

Maybe I am reading this differently.

An officer in the RTA is arrested by the ONDC (the national drug enforcement agency) for drug trafficking and you honestly think they wouldn't be in touch with the military authorities, particularly in this country, either before making the arrest or on recognition of the fact that this guy was a mid ranking officer in the RTA.

Maybe you have not been in the military but no civilian authority treads on shiny toes lightly in any country, and especially not in places where there can be substantial repercussions.

But that is not the main issue, which is that this Major was not charged until now (3 years later) and only when the story became public. Would it not be seen as a little odd for the ONDC to arrest someone, remove some of their assets, obviously on the premise that they had committed some transgression, but then not press charges, allowing the suspect to apparently continue his activities for a few more years?

Either this story is being reported very inaccurately or the Major had a lucky escape 3 years ago. Perhaps it's just karma, but the sad thing is that this sapper Major and his Sgt-Maj seem like classic small beer, expendable types in a bigger picture.

• Like 1

This is just a ploy for Thailand to have it's own Robben Island and a grab for the contract revenue for building such a thing. You can bet that anybody accused and found guilty of Lese Majeste would end up in such an establishment. I think if you canvas Thai society they would consider it cheaper to put a bullet in the head of Drug Dealers than to waste public money on an Supermax style prison.

• Like 1

Stupid idea. Prisons are nothing but schools for crime, why put all your bad eggs in one basket, it will just make easier for them to get really organized. Besides the guys pulling the strings will never see a day of incarceration.

Yeah - but if they put it on the island Thaksin promised to build in the Gulf of Thailand, then the inmates will probably drown when the substandard structure collapses:

Problem solved - but only until the big fish recruit more little fish. Perhaps that's what Little Sister meant when she said the war on drugs would be conducted just like the last time big Brother was PM. " It's deja vu all over again." Yogi Berra

Note to RTG: This is NOT meant to be a serious policy proposal.

Edited by GazR

You're right. Throw millions or billions, and if they stop it, there'll be something else to take its place.

Yaba is essentially meth with caffiene, it was originally designed during WWII by Germany to help soldiers continue to fight under extreme fatigue.

For a rather neat history of the meth probem, and to gain some insight into how "cracking" down, didn't help a bit read this article by the legendary "Uncle Fester." His books are essentially required reading for anyone involved in stopping the drug trade.

http://www.unclefesterbooks.com/The%20Father%20of%20Meth.pdf

Consider too. In 1969, possession of less than an ounce of marijuana was "ho hum." Today it can mean life imprisonment (if it's strike three). Of course each year in prison generates about $40k in pure profit for those who run privatized prisons or who supply prisons generally--like the pharmacology business today, it's dishonest and run by a Cabal. What isn't these days? In 1969 the average THC content of marijuana was around 2.8%, today the average street "weed" runs about 6-9% due to hybridization.

Everyone is fearful, these are fearful times, and any scapegoat is a good one.

Note: I don't condone any illegal substance, nor would I use it these days, regardless of my point of view. It just is not worth it. Hand me that glass of Shiraz please....

In 1976 I had the dubious pleasure of being in Taiwan as a student. While checking in at the hostel I lived at for a few days, I witnessed a public execution by firing squad of 3 young men on live TV, ages 17 to 19. They had held up a 'factory' with knives and took the owners wristwatches. Apprehended in a matter of minutes of the execution of the crime, they were swiftly tried and executed three days after. Any crime involving 2 or more perpetrators was considered 'conspiracy against the government' and punishable by death.

I had a group of 5 businessmen for a private English class. We met once a week at a restaurant in the evening for English conversation. After our meal one evening as we walked down a busy street, there was a woman hunched over in a squat position, back bent so her stomach was against her knees and she had to move like a crab. When I stopped to put a few almost worthless coins in her cup, one of my students angrily stopped me, telling me that she was a criminal. At the time, Taiwan sent their criminals to an island where they were housed in 'tiger cages' and their knees calcified and given a few years, they would never walk again.

Say what you will about cruel and unusual punishment - a strong visual deterrent led to a very low crime rate. Not that I recommend such punishment for drug offenders, but I would wager that if such a fate were the outcome for persons convicted, you would most likely not see much of a drug problem.

what absolute rubbish. e g china has very harsh laws and has massive drug use, most of the heroin from burma goes to china

• Like 1

what absolute rubbish. e g china has very harsh laws and has massive drug use, most of the heroin from burma goes to china

I don't know what you mean to refer to about 'absolute rubbish'. In 1976, Taiwan was not under the control of the PRC. Chiang Kai-shek had just recently died and the PRC regularly shelled just offshore of the island, relations with the PRC had not yet been normalized by the US and US policy at the time continued to support a separate independent Republic of China (ROC) on Taiwan. What I wrote was what I observed with my own eyes, and the lady I observed was probably sentenced for theft. If you read carefully, I never mentioned drugs.

Whether China has a huge drug problem is moot and not germane to either the news article or my comment as Taiwan is still a sovereign state not under the control of the PRC of mainland China and in fact ROC continue to maintain that the government there is the legitimate government for the mainland.

My point was that people who emerge from tiger cages on island prisons who spend the rest of their days walking like crabs offer visual reinforcement of why it is best not to engage in criminal behavior. Same can be said for swift executions broadcast on live TV.

I would certainly be interested in a cite for your source about the massive drug use in China and heroin from Burma going there. If you'd like to make your comment germane to my comment, perhaps you'd like to tell all of us about any massive drug use on the island of Taiwan, Republic of China.

Edited by edko