Kimchi

james24

Makro, Tesco & Friendship (Pattaya) sell Korean gochuchang paste. They all also sell already-made kimchi for about 35 baht/ package (as do most Thai supermarkets). But, if you really want to take on the project, here's one recipe:

http://www.easykorea...chi-Recipe.html

cool.png

Thanks guys, Ill have a look into doing it myself a bit more, if too much hard work Ill go for the makro stuff

some years ago I got sum big jars from tesco (I saw them for sale and thought...) and made kim chee from scratch, no paste just some garlic and chiles and other spices...it turned out a treat...used the same jars later to make pickled eggs...the wife's folks they liked the kim chee...they sell a thai variety down the market; hot pickled cabbage that stinks like shit...I never have been to Korea...

• 1 month later...

Sure it's worth a try.

Basic pastes for Kimchi is Salt, Korean Chilly powder and fermented fish source

Salt - You should use big grains of salt

Chilly poweder - Find dry chilly(Big one) and grind it to make powder or just buy it in Korean minimart

Fermented fish source - you can use thai "nam pla" a source with squid picture on the bottle

Be sure not to put too much ginger and also put enough time on salting the cabbage

ps. In my case, putting oyster can make kimchi very special and tasty

Edited by kkerrrrr

• 1 month later...

Are you aware just how much work is involved in making kimchi? We are talking a half day to a day of work, and that's when all the ingredients are readily available. Better to just buy it already made at the local Korean store I would think.

I buy wonderful kim chee in a Korean restaurant in Pattaya for B200 per kilo, great stuff. I used to make it years ago when I had Korean sister in law who supervised, but I think even today if she were here she would buy it ready made also.

• 5 weeks later...

Are you aware just how much work is involved in making kimchi? We are talking a half day to a day of work, and that's when all the ingredients are readily available. Better to just buy it already made at the local Korean store I would think.

I buy wonderful kim chee in a Korean restaurant in Pattaya for B200 per kilo, great stuff. I used to make it years ago when I had Korean sister in law who supervised, but I think even today if she were here she would buy it ready made also.

Please where is this restaurant? Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Please where is this restaurant? Thanks!

It is on the soi off of 2nd road past soi1 next to the Shell station. Busloads of Koreans fill it up all of the time. Best to park on 2nd road and walk around the corner as the soi has almost no parking and is extreemly busy.