Nice Restaurants To Bring My Girlfriend For Valentine'S Day Dinner?

DavidMavec

Hello!

I was wondering your ideas for a restaurant to bring my girlfriend for a nice Valentine Day Dinner in Chiang Mai? My budget would be around 1000-1500 baht per person.

I know that's a really general question but just want to get some ideas of nice places where I can go look and make a reservation possibly :-).

Le Coqdor is (used to be) quite nice for this area. There is also a nice resort that isn't too far from town. I don't recall the name but perhaps others will know. It is quite famous and definitely up scale. The rooms were like 10K a night and the resturaunt was top notch but it was slightly more than your 1,500 baht a person.

I disagree with most posters here though when it comes to quality food establishments. I don't think that Chiang Mai has any places above 3 stars. I would go to BKK if I were to spend more than 1000 baht a meal. There are expensive places here but I don't think that they stack up.

I don't know if Holiday inn is doing anything special but there buffet is usually pretty good. Quality to price ratio it is one of the best in the area. The staff is adequately trained. Shangrila has slumped deep with its quality but it still has some of the best trained wait staff.

Riverside (by the river, not in the car park)

Over the bridge going to the bus station, turn left, there it is on the left by the river.

They also do dinner on a boat, leaving approx 7:30pm (check)

Good Thai food, the girls love it!

500 to 1k per person depending on wine/beer

PS

forget the suggestions for foreigner hotels, the food served there is generally not enjoyed by Thais.

alternative

Huang Huay Keow Restaurant, top of Huay Keow road, after the zoo, turn left into shop area by Huay Keow Buddha, along path after flower shops on left into car park. Very posh, lit up like a christmas tree with views over Huay Keow waterfall. 100-150bht per dish.

alternative

Palaat Restaurant, up Suthep road, right at royal project gate, follow road until you see the sign, enter back entrance for/behind zoo.

Edited by ludditeman

I disagree with most posters here though when it comes to quality food establishments. I don't think that Chiang Mai has any places above 3 stars. I would go to BKK if I were to spend more than 1000 baht a meal. There are expensive places here but I don't think that they stack up.

I

I concur, There are some very decent medium-priced places here though.

For a special occasion such as a Valentine Day Dinner, I would take her to the Wang Tong restaurant.

It is situated beside a nice lake, has opera singers, candle light and all the trimmings. Not that expensive either.

Last time I took my girlfriend there for Valentine day, she raped me when we arrived home. Never recovered from the shock and brutality of it all.

We just went to Deck1 a few days ago at sunset. It was nice, great food. We ate a lot and the total bill, including 10% service and 7% vat, was 1800b. You sit right on the river. It's charming and modern. At sunset and after dark the way it's lit, it is romantic.

Riverside and goodview are bars that serve food. Not exactly the place that I would take my loved one to celebrate Valentine's day.

Since when don't Thai people like Western Hotel Buffets? Go to Centrara Duangtuan that is mostly a Thai clientelle, same with Ratti Lanna. Holiday inn Sunday buffet is usually a mix of westerners and their counterparts and well dressed Thais coming out after church.

OP

Let us know where you decide and report back afterwards. A few of the places people suggested I haven't been and will try them now. It is good to share the results even though we all might have different tastes or expectations it is nice to have a reference point.

thai girlfriend or not?

i brought for my spouse to a kantoke dinner, she enjoyed it very much =) been dining at restaurants every events or so, getting bored, so decided to bring her to somewhere different. the down side is that its rather expensive for the food they serve, bill is about 2k with alcohols in total, not that bad but food are like fried chicken and some curry. the dance and entertainment was nice although, i enjoyed it as well. but i doubt that will appeal for thai gf. it brings a holiday feeling

I agree with ludditeman that both the river side & palaad tawanron are great.

The only one I would add is the Gallery....Just a little further down the road than riverside

(you can actually park at or next to riverside & walk)

Gallery is also on the River...Beautiful setting good food, good price & Lanna music.

Very Nice

PS: I just saw the recommend for Khaomao Khaofang

Does look very nice too!

http://www.khaomaokhaofang.com/

Edited by flying

If you decide to go to either Goodview or Riverside (which in my opinion are both poor restaurants for a valentines day meal) make sure you only order the starters first, after you have eaten them then order the main meals. If you don't they can come out in any old order. If I was going to go anywhere with the Mrs, I would see if The Holiday Inn was doing a Valentines meal.

Edited by thaimiller

My wife and I love Huan Soontaree http://www.saochiangmai.com/ Thais generally like it more because the host is a famous northern Thai folk singer and is happy to pose for pics with the guests. The food is very very good Thai cuisine, the owner sings every night except Monday (I think), great service, good location by the river Ping and not too pricey.