Problem With My Wlan At Home

davejonesbkk

I have a motorola cable modem via True Internet, I've had it for a long time and I always just use the Ethernet cable from the modem to my laptop even though I have a wireless router I never bother with it.

I've recently been trying to use my iPad at home along with my laptop. I set up my WLAN using my D-link adsl+2 router, I have the Ethernet going from the cable modem to the router and I'm now connected to the Internet via wifi on my iPad.

However when I try to connect to the WLAN with my laptop it give the exclamation warning sign and 'limited connectivity' message when I view network connections. Also after trouble shooting and trying to diagnose the problem (laptop is windows 7 btw) it gives a number or problem found messages such as:

Windows cannot connect to "my WLAN name"

Problem with wireless adapter or access point

"Wireless network connection" doesn't have a valid IP address

I have the ip address for the laptop set to auto and I'm using openDNS

I use my laptop on other wifi connections almost everyday btw with no problem.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Further info: I have turned off and unplugged both the cable modem and router for more than 30 seconds. Also I don't seem to be able to access my router from my iPad, it says safari cannot open the page because the network connection was lost but I'm browsing everything else just fine...

turn off the cable modem for 3min, make sure the cable modem ethernet cable is in the WAN ethernet port on your router not a port 1 2 3 or 4. turn everything on! you should be set to go. it sounds like you did not plug your cable modem into the wan(internet) port on the router but ports for local wired computers. If do not plug your cable modem into the wan(internet) ethernet port you can not share your internet connection. Not plugging you cable modem into the wan port will cause only one computer or Ipad can connect since the cable company only gives you one ip number.

you

Ahh ok I understand now, but my router only seems to have Ethernet ports for 1-4 and then the other port is adsl. So this means I can't make a WLAN with this router and have to buy a new one that has a wan Ethernet port?

you have a adsl router, yes you need a different kind of router one with a Ethernet wan/internet port.

The adsl router can be used in the future to extend your wlan by disabling it's internal dhcp server and connecting an ethernet cable between it and you new router. The configuration of this option is a little advanced but can be done in easy steps and worth while to extend you wireless network coverage. Do not forget to enable WPA2 encryption on any wireless router.

If wireless is working for the iPad then that shows that the modem and router are correctly configured

so don't change anything there.

The problem must be in the settings of the PC

1 Check the wireless modem is on

2.Look at the bottom right of your screen for an icon with graduated bars

it should be next to the battery/power symbol

3 If the bars are not there then there will be a square box of the ethernet cable connection?

4 Either way, click on this symbol to see what networks are available

You should see the name of your network?

5 Click on that and you will be asked for the password, then you should be in business

As already mentioned do make sure you have a good wireless password.

If wireless is working for the iPad then that shows that the modem and router are correctly configured

so don't change anything there.

The problem must be in the settings of the PC

1 Check the wireless modem is on

2.Look at the bottom right of your screen for an icon with graduated bars

it should be next to the battery/power symbol

3 If the bars are not there then there will be a square box of the ethernet cable connection?

4 Either way, click on this symbol to see what networks are available

You should see the name of your network?

5 Click on that and you will be asked for the password, then you should be in business

As already mentioned do make sure you have a good wireless password.

no he is getting the single IP asigned by internet provider since he has plug the cable modem in the hub side of the router, which means the first device that connects uses his single ip from the internet provider. His router is adsl router so he needs to purchase a normal router with an enthernet port for wan/internet port. Then the new router will allow him to share his single ip with the dchp server built into the router.