Samui Immigration Needs Marriage Certificate Affirmation

Hope someone can offer some advice here. Myself and my wife, both 55, applied for a retirement extension at Koh Samui Immigration office yesterday, only to be denied because our Irish marriage certificate (original 30 year old copy) needed to be affirmed by the Honorary British Consul on the island. All other documents were acceptable; the marriage certificate is the only hurdle (I had no idea it was needed - the embassy in KL accepted a copy of the certificate without question).

We emailed Mr Dave Covey, the Hon. Consul, who informed us that he can deal with it at his next clinic, on Feb 16th. However, our Non-Imm O visa expires on Feb 21st. That seems to be too tight for my peace of mind.

Would it be best to present ourselves at Immigration today with the reply from Mr Covey, or would that be a waste of effort? Any suggestions on how to deal with this would be welcomed. TIA.

You got your answer here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/529933-just-applied-for-non-imm-o-marriage-but-only-got-90-day-extension

Go to Bangkok (If you can't do it by mail) and go through the process to get your Irish wedding registered in Thailand. Samui immigration will want proof you are still maried every year. Easy if you have the wedding registered in Thailand, than you just go to the amphur and get a new khor rhor 22 form.

If they have applied for stand alone retirement extensions, why does their marriage even enter into the equation. If she was applying as a dependant okay, but the OP indicated that they were applying on stand alone applications.

Thanks, TerrLH and Mario.

Mario, I don't see an answer in the thread you linked to, just a question. Lopburi3 asked: "You were not able to obtain retirement extension of stay on your own or did you require wife to have matching extension of stay and that could not be done without marriage certificate verification?".

We both applied for the extension on separate forms, so as my wife would have a matching extension of stay. The bank account is in my name only and has contained over 800,000 baht for the past 16 years. If applying individually, would two bank accounts be needed, each with 400,000 baht?

That answers my question - you do not qualify for retirement extension without marriage (she must obtain dependent extension after you get retirement extension) so that is the valid reason they must have a marriage certificate registered in Thailand (as outlined above). If she wants independent retirement extension she must have 800k in her name for two months. As dependent that is not required so most people do that way.

If you had applied for retirement extensions on your own, you and your wife would both need 800000 baht in an account in your names independently. Since you applied as you did they are asuming that she is applying as a dependant since there is only one account with the required amount and therefore the marriage legalaization fiasco.

If my wife produced details of her account, which also holds in excess of 800K, would the verification of the marriage become a non-issue?

If you both have seperate accounts it would be accepted, best idea is not to apply at the same time you might confuse them again. But like others have said it is easier to piggy back another persons visa, without having to show so much money, but then the marriage certificate is an issue.

If your wife produced details of her own account that qualified, marriage shouldn't be an issue. Your applications should be considered as if you didn't even know each other! Mr. X and Mrs. Y!

Edited by wayned

I'm a big advocate of women maintaining their own retirement visas separately from their husbands, unless (of course) the financial requirements are too onerous.

If something happened to the OP (or to the marriage) his wife would have just a few days to sort out her visa sitatuion before she was on overstay. If the OP dies, then his wife is going to have many things to handle unexpectedly. It would be nice if sorting out her visa wasn't one of those things.

Thanks, TerrLH and Mario.

Mario, I don't see an answer in the thread you linked to, just a question. Lopburi3 asked: "You were not able to obtain retirement extension of stay on your own or did you require wife to have matching extension of stay and that could not be done without marriage certificate verification?".

We both applied for the extension on separate forms, so as my wife would have a matching extension of stay. The bank account is in my name only and has contained over 800,000 baht for the past 16 years. If applying individually, would two bank accounts be needed, each with 400,000 baht?

Sorry, there are two different people asking a question in that thread. It seems I mixed the two together and gave a wrong reply.