Isopropyl Alcohol Or Ethyl Alcohol

4evermaat

Need this or some variation of rubbing alcohol for some cleaning projects. Any pharmacies, office supply, computer, wherever would be excellent. The closer to 100%, the better, but over 90% should be sufficient.

Bangkok area, although it would be great if Chumphon stocked them. The 70% stuff I saw in a local pharmacy with blue dye isn't quite what I had in mind.

Edited by 4evermaat

depends what yoiu want to clean... you might get some acetone ( nail polish remover) or paint thinners which will have a higher degree of cleaning power than say EtOH/PrOH but beware if the substrate is plastic such as PC or PMMA it can attack the plastic.

If the stain or what every you are truing to clean is petrochemical based then acetone or thinners may work well.

depends what yoiu want to clean... you might get some acetone ( nail polish remover) or paint thinners which will have a higher degree of cleaning power than say EtOH/PrOH but beware if the substrate is plastic such as PC or PMMA it can attack the plastic.

If the stain or what every you are truing to clean is petrochemical based then acetone or thinners may work well.

Printer ink tubes are usually made out of plastic. I would probably leave the solution in the tubes for several hours if necessary. Does this count?

100% methanol.

Available at Home Pro in the paint department in a 1 gallon jug. Works anywhere the other alcohols do unless you have a specific reason for discounting it. Just don't drink it, but you wouldn't want to drink IPA either.

100% methanol.

Available at Home Pro in the paint department in a 1 gallon jug. Works anywhere the other alcohols do unless you have a specific reason for discounting it. Just don't drink it, but you wouldn't want to drink IPA either.

Just been in Suksapan nr Ekkamai looking for 91% (or more) IPA, they sell other kinds of alcohol, but not that. I particularly need IPA for making a home brew vinyl record cleaning solution. I refuse to pay 1000 baht in a hi-so hi-fi shop for something I can concoct myself for a fraction of the price!

I was just in ekkamai. Totally forgot to look around.....did not check any shops. Didnt chwck in the gormet market either. Would pantip have IPA?

"2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from ThaiVisa app.

100% methanol.

Available at Home Pro in the paint department in a 1 gallon jug. Works anywhere the other alcohols do unless you have a specific reason for discounting it. Just don't drink it, but you wouldn't want to drink. ...........

Homemart had methyl alcohol for 85 baht for a small tin. Doesnt say weight, but guessing 1 litre It was 99% of alcohol and 1% of a drinking deterrent. hopefully it is clear. Thanks for the tip.

100% methanol.

Available at Home Pro in the paint department in a 1 gallon jug. Works anywhere the other alcohols do unless you have a specific reason for discounting it. Just don't drink it, but you wouldn't want to drink. ...........

Homemart had methyl alcohol for 85 baht for a small tin. Doesnt say weight, but guessing 1 litre It was 99% of alcohol and 1% of a drinking deterrent. hopefully it is clear. Thanks for the tip.

Methanol (or methyl alcohol which is just the long form of the name) is essentially poisonous. It is the stuff that makes you go blind if you ingest it, and the reason why most home distillers throw out the first few cups of alcohol from their still. Methanol has a slightly lower boiling point than ethanol, the drinkable stuff, and tends to boil off first from the brew.

Since methanol is not azeotropic like ethanol and IPA, it is nearly always sold as 100% pure. There is no reason to stop at 90% - 95%, as it won't mix with the moisture in the air anyway.

So unless it says it is something less than 100% methanol, you can safely assume it is.