Recommendation For A Good Paediatrician

mogy

Looking for advice on a good paediatrician - someone who puts kids before profit.

My wife brought one of our kids to Bkk Pattaya hospital a few days ago with a persistent cough. She was told he'll have to stay the night and have some x-rays taken. They take the urlne. And no, he didn't stay.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Head to BKK and go to Bumrungrad...look on their website first and find a good pedeatrician with good qualifications..like US Board Certified and make an appointment..same money as BPH but much better doctors to choose from with very extensive training

Hi,

If you are able to come to Bangkok, I would advise you to try Central General hospital, Bang khen as this is where we take our Son (7 years old) and the child doctors there are top notch and really on the ball. The prices are very reasonable and they never, in our experience anyway, try to make you pay for something that you dont need and also dont try to get you to have test after test where this is not necessary.

So I guess this means that there are no good pediatricians in Pattaya? I would be interested in one as well but I'm not about to take a sick kid for a drive up to BKK every time he needs to see a doctor.

I do agree that BPH is crap and I have taken the wife to Bumrungrad before and was very pleased. If they were closer then I'd take the whole family there when needed

Many thanks for the replies.

Bumrungrad would be the best option and was thought about but I must agree with Jayman in that if there's something small or an emergency then having to drive to Bangkok isn't really ideal. There used to be a really good doctor in BP hosp that we would always use for the kids and we felt very comfortable with her since there was no pushng of beds or drugs on the kids in any way whatsoever but she's left a few years ago and any time we go now it's been a different doctor each time in the hope of finding one we feel comfortable with but nothing as yet.

I'll give Sheryl a shout as well and see if she has any ideas.

Thanks again.

I'm surprised you had a bad experience at the BKK Pattaya.

Whilst it does have some reputation for ripping off farangs at every opportunity, I have had no real bad experiences of their Pediatrics department.

My Son has been seeing Dr Pasinee there since he was born (16 Months), and I don't have a bad word to say about her, some follow ups have been free too.

However, I did once take my son to see another doctor 'Puttachart' (My regular was on day off) and it was back to Rip-Off the Farang mode (Even though my Son is Thai).. with my Doctors Fee being increased and some unexplained nursing charge being applied (Nurses did nothing in this case)

The price excluding meds, is usually 350 Baht, but on this day of seeing Dr Puttachart this was increased to 500 baht Doctor Fee + 150 Nursing Fee + 30 baht for I think can only be what resembles a lollipop stick used to examine the throat.

Regular Doctor = 350 Baht

Another Doctor = 680 Baht

When I queried this with the cashier, I was told it was up to the doctor to set the prices.

Maybe you should should try another doctor, I recommend Dr Pasinee Jantarasoon and she's pretty :-)

Edited by Satcommlee

Instead of running up to Bangkok why not try out one of the 2 hospitals in Sri Racha?

One of them at least always gets good press on this forum (can't remember the names sorry).

Also if you have the name of you old preferred doctor from BHP then maybe you could find where she's gone from a medical register?

Edited by PattayaParent

I like Samitivej at Sri Racha and we always get good service there. I try and stay well clear of Bangkok Pattaya as they truly rip you off PLUS you do not get even moderately ok medical care.

However we found ourselves in an emergency situation with our 3 year old a few months ago and Bangkok Pattaya was our only choice (closest). However whilst we were being admitted we used the internet to access a website that linked us to paedeatricians across the world. We "hired" a Dr from Great Ormand Street in London UK and an osteopathic paedeatric surgeon from New York University hospital. We liaised with them the whole way from what antibiotics she should have, what the tests should be, what the results meant and the resulting surgery she needed. The consults online were about $30 - $50 each time but WELL worth it. Both of the "online" Dr's were in agreement with each other which was VERY diffferent to the advice we got from BP.

Basically we took the online advice and used the facilities at BP. I'd hate to think what would have happened if we didnt have the online service as it was quite clear BP paedeatrician had very little knowledge/experience with the case being presented.

We used a website called Justask but there are many others available.

• Like 1

I like Samitivej at Sri Racha and we always get good service there. I try and stay well clear of Bangkok Pattaya as they truly rip you off PLUS you do not get even moderately ok medical care.

However we found ourselves in an emergency situation with our 3 year old a few months ago and Bangkok Pattaya was our only choice (closest). However whilst we were being admitted we used the internet to access a website that linked us to paedeatricians across the world. We "hired" a Dr from Great Ormand Street in London UK and an osteopathic paedeatric surgeon from New York University hospital. We liaised with them the whole way from what antibiotics she should have, what the tests should be, what the results meant and the resulting surgery she needed. The consults online were about $30 - $50 each time but WELL worth it. Both of the "online" Dr's were in agreement with each other which was VERY diffferent to the advice we got from BP.

Basically we took the online advice and used the facilities at BP. I'd hate to think what would have happened if we didnt have the online service as it was quite clear BP paedeatrician had very little knowledge/experience with the case being presented.

We used a website called Justask but there are many others available.

Thanks for the tip.