Wetv

el jefe

I'm new around these parts as a resident and my Thai g/f is a subscriber to WETV, by chance I was having a beer with a long-term expat around my age and not too computer savvy, he asked me to have a look at his new notebook running Windows 8 (well there's the problem right there -using Win 8) anyway, as his apartment was virually next door, we shambled in and had a look, it seems that the aparrently reputable computer shop has installed a pirate version of the Win 8 software, and it's bad enough when you buy it from Redmond for heavens sake!

But anyway, the point of the story (apart from avoid win 8) is that I learned that he was using his notebook, via an HDMI cable to his big flatscreen TV, to access and watch the entire UK suite of digital TV channels.

If you have been away from the UK for a while, you may be interested to hear that the whole country is now digitized, and you get at least 15 channels (or more IIRC) free-to-air including countless radio staions on/through your TV speakers as well.

Anyway I was pretty surprised, given that even in the UK you need a digital set-top box or a TV with UK region-appropriate digital reciever built in, to get the channels. Aparrently how it works is that some BKK outfit re-broadcast the signal under licence, they charge a fee not much more than the B1000 per 3 months WeTV offer currently.

I did not pay too much attention to the details, or whether Thai channels or other EU/US/AU channels are also offered, but if you are an expat, and this idea appeals, then do a bit of Googling.

My computer-handicapped mate found them online so it can't be that hard. I would imagine they'd be likely to offer other 'western' TV packages, so worth a search if you are form elsewhere in the world as well.

Back to WeTV, I sure miss the sectarian political rant channels the Army recently canned. How am I going to get through the long lonely nights now?

Edited by dhream

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe people do not know. I tend to stick to the channels that I watch every day instead of channel surfing. Thanks for filling us in and thanks to WETV for more entertainment and a fine service for a reasonable price.

Haven't had much chance to watch the telly lately but switched on WeTV last night and it seems 17,18,19 movies have gone. There's now a movie channel somewhere down near 7 0r 8 approx. I think that's it for movies. Universal (the law & order thingy) is on 25 and the syfy one on 26. Choice of watching seems to get more desperate but at least it still has the Aussie soap operas!

Today, WETV Chiang Mai has been off TWICE. Is currently OFF at 2.30pm, what is going on?? the audi and video quality of late has been pretty bad with FREQUENT Audi Drop-outs and frequent "Line Flashes" over the screen. We called them out a couple of weeks ago and they claimed they were "fixing the problem"...wel what has happened, Perhaps "WETV" means "WORST EVER TV." While I'm at it, why since the put Aljazeera Back On, after many complaints did they decide to stick it on Channel 42.... away from all the other "English Language" News Chennels? The news is about the only thing worth watching on WETV as all the other channels, aside from those in Thai Language are full of REPEATS and MORE REPEATS of shows....."WETV=WORSTEVER TV."

I almost forgot the reason I came to this thread was that I was in the mood for a little idiot box downtime this morning, and NONE of the channels are available, I get static across the board. Yup, "57 channels and nothing on" as the rock song goes, sure enough. So I wanted to ask, is this normal/common/frequent in non prime viewing hours? My friends UKTV options are looking tempting! My next subscription falls due soon, this thread is full of stories of channel 'musical chairs' game playing too, lift your game WeTV! :(

Other than watching the news once a day and sport at the weekend I can't be bothered with TV, especially the crap they have here, UKTV included. Take my mother's advice, 'go out and play, and get some fresh air in your lungs'. Numbers are down at the tennis courts in the rainy season, so get yourself along to the Chiengmai Gymkhkana. If you're not up to that, there is always golf, for the elderly and infirm.

Yes, if you live in the right part of town. 350 baht per month.

I fell for the buy two months get the third free...350 per month. However, they informed me after they installed, that my signal was weak, and I would have to put up 1800 for box deposit, and my bill would be 450. My condo has only been here for 26 years, so I felt they misrepresented. Fox News and Law and Order reruns, and of course lately, "Peace and Order" on almost every channel. I axed it after three months. I stream Bloomberg for free with my basic 3BB internet.

Probably going to get all NFL games for 104 USD.

I did get a letter from WetV and CTH.....It's in Thai, but this might explain some of the above questions about CTH/WeTV. IMO, they've got the future of a buggy whip company.

post-37570-0-30622700-1403334438_thumb.j

Edited by Thighlander

All I can offer is my own experience. I have had WETV for many years and I am pretty sure that it is still 350. My staff pay the bills, but I have looked for time to time and it had not gone up. They have never asked for any other fees.

I get BBC, Channel News Asia, Al Jezeera, Fox News and several other news stations. There are also a few channels with English language movies and Western sitcoms as well as Australian TV, German, French Chinese and Korean channels. On top of that, there are a lot of Thai channels, but some of them are shut down at the moment due to "Peace and Order". I don't watch them anyway, so that does not bother me.

As far as free streaming on the computer goes, I have lots of problems, all the time, when I try it, so that would not work for me. WETV almost never goes down, although it went off for several days during the coup recently. They had to do that, because the government required it, so they deserve no blame.

I think True has/had promo for internet and more channels for 799 thb. They had already filled their quota in my building; so I did 3bb, and after a lot of false warnings; I'm very satisfied. Did sign a 1 year contract, and paid 6 months upfront, and I bought their wireless router for about 650, which I feel will really simplify things if there is a problem; they can finger point at themselves. I considered TOT, but they wanted 1500 ish to install, and I couldn't help myself from laughing at the desktop phones, which I suppose still have a place in business. But as far as 350 thb for We(an)TV, If you are in a house, or fairly close to the pole, you will likely not need the box. I had just spent 1200 thb extra to get my new TV mounted on the wall, which is a wonderful spacesaver in the studio, so I was really annoyed when I found out I would need an 80s style box to go with it, and outlets are on short supply in these old condos, too.

I would have agreed with you a few months ago Nancy, but not now.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/CTH-offering-satellite-as-well-as-cable-TV-30207170.html

That being said, TRUE may offer some more sport content, but CTH have Fox sports also!

Sounds promising but we'll have to see. A high channel count is not especially a good thing, rather what the available channels are, is what counts. The g/f's mother has a package for her tenants that she paid about 1700 THB (one time charge) and there are 72 channels I think. There is only 1 English language channel - RT TV from Russia. Perhaps 30 of the channels are nothing but adverts. Think quality...not quantity...

How true, nothing worse than a remote control in the hands of someone else, when there are 150 rubbish channels. biggrin.png

Had a look at the 142 CTH Channels available and being that Fox News, DW and SKY News are the only options for News, I will pass on the idea altogether. Nothing wrong with SKY - I enjoyed watching it when I lived in Spain, but I need more choices than that. At least WETV has Fox, BBC, DW and Al Jazeera for a little variety. I would prefer CNN, MSNBC, and/or CNBC but no such luck.

CTH also has Euro News, 24 hour in English,excellent channel,airing now. France Channel News ,global, in English with Channel News Asia,out of Singapore, in English are suspended as is Australia Network which our Government in their wisdom have decided to cancel anyway .

The major problem with CTH is communicating with the company as they have no office in CM.When you ring their call centre be prepared for a long wait,when you finally get through ask a question the reply generally is 'I don't know".

I still get Aus TV through WETV. In Chiang Mai CTH is in partnership with WETV so they share the same office and staff. It's in the old city not far from Chiang Puak gate.

I understood the partnership hadn't come through as yet but thanks will follow up.

We get We TV.

The universal channel and scifi are for ever disconnecting. As said earlier lots of other news channels. But what was not said is they have ThaiAsia an English speaking one with more news about Asia and the countries in it. I prefer it as this is home for me and I like to know about what is going on in the region. Some times if I feel the need for a laugh I will have a look at Fox. Aljazeera is good but to many specials for me. As for BBC not to keen on a channel that gets it's reports from rumors.

It is free here so I don't have much say. Would love to have the history channel and a discovery channel possibly a National Geographic. I am quite sure the wife could do with three less soap operas or comedy shows. All though I have to admit the comedy shows are so corny they really are funny and I do not understand Thai.

Not that big of a sports fan all though it would be nice to watch some NFL games. Especially withy the Seahawks in them or the 49s.

Edited by northernjohn

I think True has/had promo for internet and more channels for 799 thb. They had already filled their quota in my building; so I did 3bb, and after a lot of false warnings; I'm very satisfied. Did sign a 1 year contract, and paid 6 months upfront, and I bought their wireless router for about 650, which I feel will really simplify things if there is a problem; they can finger point at themselves. I considered TOT, but they wanted 1500 ish to install, and I couldn't help myself from laughing at the desktop phones, which I suppose still have a place in business. But as far as 350 thb for We(an)TV, If you are in a house, or fairly close to the pole, you will likely not need the box. I had just spent 1200 thb extra to get my new TV mounted on the wall, which is a wonderful spacesaver in the studio, so I was really annoyed when I found out I would need an 80s style box to go with it, and outlets are on short supply in these old condos, too.

we have the 699? 799? True package (don't recall the price as we got 6 months free) and to the best of my knowledge there are no channels in English provided in the package. we got the package for their excellent Internet service. they also gave us 1200 free minutes of mobile telephone time (but failed to mention that they had to be used in a limited time period and now we have lost more than 1/2 of them). we have WETV for television and i've only looked through the True channels a couple of times but am quite sure that in the package that only basic Thai channels are included.

we use TOT for telephone service and have no complaints. they are far more reliable than mobiles as we call overseas on business daily.

Edited by Oscar2

Other than watching the news once a day and sport at the weekend I can't be bothered with TV, especially the crap they have here, UKTV included. Take my mother's advice, 'go out and play, and get some fresh air in your lungs'. Numbers are down at the tennis courts in the rainy season, so get yourself along to the Chiengmai Gymkhkana. If you're not up to that, there is always golf, for the elderly and infirm.

So what do you do at night time ?,to amuse your self.

regards Worgeordie

Check out ilikeHD you get most of the channels that TRUE,CTH, WEtV has

plus a lot more, stream it from PC to Tv, easy if you have HDMI outlet on

tv and PC, can be streamed other ways ,500 Bht pm ,easy to pay ,just

buy TRUE money at any 7-11, enter code into pay page,max 15 mins

and your off and running.has SKY sports 5 channels,US sports channels

No paying for boxes,dishes,set it up yourself, and the servers are in BKK

so works even if your Internet not so good, IPTV, is the way to go.

regards Worgeordie

regards Worgeordie

Can't see Sky sports on the website wg !

regards Worgeordie

was looking for a channel line up but only get a log-in page. searched google but don't see it there either.

regards Worgeordie

Hi Alfieconn, just been on to check for you SKY sports 1-4 Sky sports news,plus BT sports are there on the sports section,but as you say might not be on website, regards worgeordie

regards Worgeordie

was looking for a channel line up but only get a log-in page. searched google but don't see it there either.

Hi Oscar2, If you click on create account, on that log on page they will send you SMS with code so you can log in,

No need to give them your real name ect if you dont want to put anything in, BUT you must enter mobile phone

number so they can send you the SMS, if you have any problems,send them email they are very quick to reply,

in English,which is very unusual for any Thai company. regards worgeordie

Isn't one of the problems with WETV that programs come and go fairly rapidly. It might get to the point, to keep us all happy, that we need 3 suppliers and 3 TV screens to each residence.

That would have my wife running around constantly to keep up with all three of them.

Not being as big sport fan and only capable of so much what will sell news as compared to just news I don't watch it much.

NewsAsia is nice. It will touch on the internationals but more on Asia.

we have the 699? 799? True package (don't recall the price as we got 6 months free) and to the best of my knowledge there are no channels in English provided in the package. we got the package for their excellent Internet service. they also gave us 1200 free minutes of mobile telephone time (but failed to mention that they had to be used in a limited time period and now we have lost more than 1/2 of them). we have WETV for television and i've only looked through the True channels a couple of times but am quite sure that in the package that only basic Thai channels are included.

we use TOT for telephone service and have no complaints. they are far more reliable than mobiles as we call overseas on business daily.

I have that True internet/TV package too. For the first few months (3 I think, definitely less than 6 months) we had 100+ Thai channels plus Bloomberg, Asia Food Network, and a channel with old English language movies. That was enough for me, especially since it was free, and my wife downloads anything she wants to watch. Then True eliminated all 3 English language stations. I went back to WETV. Aljezeera, BBC, and Fox for news, Universal for old American reruns, a couple of movie channels. I can watch Bloomberg on the computer.

The first 6 years I had WETV it went out maybe 4 or 5 times, always during summer storms. I haven't had it long enough now for it to go out on me yet. WETV works out to less than 12 baht a day (10 baht if you sign for a package). It's really hard to complain at that price.

I still get Aus TV through WETV. In Chiang Mai CTH is in partnership with WETV so they share the same office and staff. It's in the old city not far from Chiang Puak gate.

I understand our Liberal friends, who are anything but liberal, or particularly friendly, are set (pardon the pun) to axe Australia Network, given as they'd prefer to 'engage' the Asia pacific region by way of their new fighter jets Tony supersize-ordered.

They are no great fans of the truly liberal ABC or SBS either.

When I was in Aussie I considered SBS to be one of the best TV channels on the planet. Sexy, or othwise absorbing arty foriegn movies (with yellow subtitles that you can actually read against any background) cutting edge comedy years before the channel 7, 9 & 10 numpties were brave or bright enough to see it's popularity. World news that was about the world, and not a surfing cattledog down Cronulla way, Free world cup with all the match analysis and other host country related trimmings, ditto tour de france, and Eurovision (say what you like its a hoot of a night). But I digress nostalgically and give away my chardonnay-sipping preledictions.

So whatever side of the political fence you are on, thank the mad monk when your Aussie channel dissapears off WeTV, or anywhere else you're currently getting it, at some point soon. Unless there is a sh!tstorm of protest back home or across the region (unlikely) as we Aussies don't give a flying fox if its not a cost or loss thats directly mortgage-related.

Edited by dhream

For those that may not realise..... If you have a cable setup with WETV, then you could use this to install CTH. I mention it because some people have WETV free in their condo. If you go to the WETV/CTH office in Chiang Mai they will install a small box that utilises the WETV cable to install CTH. No dishes or extra cables.

For those that may not realise..... If you have a cable setup with WETV, then you could use this to install CTH. I mention it because some people have WETV free in their condo. If you go to the WETV/CTH office in Chiang Mai they will install a small box that utilises the WETV cable to install CTH. No dishes or extra cables.

Out of interest, any idea what the damage is in additional setup and ongoing joe?

And to anyone else who's been following the thread over the weekend, that UK TV link I posted about is https://www.thaiexpat.tv/ (thaiexpat tv) in case the link is removed by mods. You get a free trial, and it has 9000 'likes' on FB.

I would give it a whirl, but my tirak would not be giving up the WeTV and I don't see the point of paying for two subscriptions especially when I'm happy enough with the Euro channels there at the moment, anyway, I only watch it because it's there. After I left Aus, and went to portugal for a while, I gave up TV altogether, got everything I needed online.

Edited by dhream

What's the damage in additional setup and ongoing joe?

And to anyone else who's following the thread over the weekend, that UK TV link I was posiing on is https://www.thaiexpat.tv/ (thaiexpat tv) in case the link is removed by mods. You get a free trial, and it has 9000 'likes' on FB. Incidentally, you can buy 'likes' but FB frown upon it, and a big company are unlikely to take the risk of being caught and lose their account, FB is a major marketing channel for any company nowadays.

I can't remember how much it cost to install, but it wasn't much. As far as I know, my package is 599b a month for a basic package. I only use it for news and sport and I get all premier league games but not sure what movies, entertainment channels there are. If you call them they speak good English and their office is in town, near Chang Puak gate. They have a website WETV.co.th. Choose English, select PROGRAM tab and then CTH to see what that have. Edited by Chiengmaijoe

And to anyone else who's following the thread over the weekend, that UK TV link I was posiing on is https://www.thaiexpat.tv/ (thaiexpat tv) in case the link is removed by mods. You get a free trial, and it has 9000 'likes' on FB. Incidentally, you can buy 'likes' but FB frown upon it, and a big company are unlikely to take the risk of being caught and lose their account, FB is a major marketing channel for any company nowadays.

I can't remember how much it cost to install, but it wasn't much. As far as I know, my package is 599b a month for a basic package. I only use it for news and sport and I get all premier league games but not sure what movies, entertainment channels there are. If you call them they speak good English and their office is in town, near Chang Puak gate. They have a website but best to search for WETV Chiang Mai.

Just to clarify, i was referring to the CTH add-on, we alteady get WeTV on cable, do you have the CTH add on? Is that the cost for the cable and the CTH box in a bundle? or just WeTV, thanks.

I can't remember how much it cost to install, but it wasn't much. As far as I know, my package is 599b a month for a basic package. I only use it for news and sport and I get all premier league games but not sure what movies, entertainment channels there are. If you call them they speak good English and their office is in town, near Chang Puak gate. They have a website but best to search for WETV Chiang Mai.

Just to clarify, i was referring to the CTH add-on, we alteady get WeTV on cable, do you have the CTH add on? Is that the cost for the cable and the CTH box in a bundle? or just WeTV, thanks.

In effect you're using the same cable to have either CTH or WETV. There will be a fixed fee for the box and ia small installation fee , maybe, and then a monthly fee for CTH, instead of WETV. Possibly an option, with a splitter, to have WETV in one room and CTH, (using the box) in another, but probably two fees then.

I was told by wetv that the box was an 1800 deposit, and monthly would be 450 instead of 350.

www.channelnewsasia.com streams good so does www.bloomberg.com and http://www.aljazeera.com/watch_now/

So for 450 you get CTH instead of 350 for WETV. I wonder what the 450b channel list is, and if you get all the premiership games. I'm sure the website doesn't list the different packages, that would make too much sense.