Petrol Rip Off.Ptt

Went to fill the bike up today,asked for 100b that will fill it up,drove away and gauge said not even half full,had a look in tank and not much in it,so i drove back and said to the guy why is my bike not full and he then put another 40b in and it was full(no more charge to me)he said sorry and thats the last time i will use that petrol station,its the one near bangkok hospital,keep a eye on them if you go in there!

The funny thing was the pump was on 115b when i got there and was still on that when i left!didnt think much of it at the time.

There were some stories a couple of years back from Phuket filling stations where one of the staff stood in front of the pump display so the driver couldn't see it.

The pump handle was not put back in it's holder and there was still around 100 baht or so on the display from a previous bike being filled up.

The car was filled up and of course the staff kept the 100 baht excess.

I don't think this can be the scam in your case as your bike wouldn't hold 200 baht worth of gas, it only works with cars, but they may have been trying something similar.

Make sure the display is set to zero before the nozzle is removed from the pump.

Fuel in general is just a scam. As i ride a performance bike i have to have fuel in my bike as close to 100 Ron as possible!!! The garbage we get is not even close have had to resort to getting additives sent from home. Even then it's not where i would want it. But like everything else it's not gonna change so no point worrying about it ;)

a friend of mine borrowed my car for a few days and when he went to that garage he filled up the car and they charged him 2800 baht.

When the tank is empty it will only hold 1800 baht, so yes a rip off.

There used to be a gas station near the airport that used to do the same, and now i never see any cars use it. I hope that happens to this one now

a friend of mine borrowed my car for a few days and when he went to that garage he filled up the car and they charged him 2800 baht.

When the tank is empty it will only hold 1800 baht, so yes a rip off.

There used to be a gas station near the airport that used to do the same, and now i never see any cars use it. I hope that happens to this one now

the staff mainly consist of Burmease and they can be quite cheecky and nastey. whatch them even the thais are weary of them !

Put it this way try speaking thai to them see if they are better or worse than your thai

• 2 weeks later...

I think this happened to me this morning in Lamai. I was in a bit of a day dream as they filled up the tank usually I would be looking. I said fill it full. They filled up my bike and said 170 baht. Guessing they did not restart the pump after the lady before me. As a farrang woman by myself maybe i was an easy target. I was calm and told them it was not possible to put more than 170 baht into my bike. I checked the rates just in case I offered 100 baht (more than it was more than likely) and they said ok.

Happened to anyone else? Genuine mistake you think? I'm left quite puzzled if I handled the situation correct I will pay attention to the pump more in future.

Edited by GLS

I think this happened to me this morning in Lamai. I was in a bit of a day dream as they filled up the tank usually I would be looking. I said fill it full. They filled up my bike and said 170 baht. Guessing they did not restart the pump after the lady before me. As a farrang woman by myself maybe i was an easy target. I was calm and told them it was not possible to put more than 170 baht into my bike. I checked the rates just in case I offered 100 baht (more than it was more than likely) and they said ok.

Happened to anyone else? Genuine mistake you think? I'm left quite puzzled if I handled the situation correct I will pay attention to the pump more in future.

If they accepted this you did the right thing. Was your tank full?

Yes my tank was full. But surely they know its not possible to put 170 baht into a honda click they must fill them up all the time???

They hesitated at first then I started looking towards the cashier and they said ok ok.

There is absolutely NO way thay they would have given you THB 170 of fuel and not collected the THB 170 from you. The meter says 170, that is what the cashier is expecting.

So obviously, the meter was not on zero when they started to fill your tank. They had already got 50 or whatever from the previous customer.

There is absolutely NO way thay they would have given you THB 170 of fuel and not collected the THB 170 from you. The meter says 170, that is what the cashier is expecting.

So obviously, the meter was not on zero when they started to fill your tank. They had already got 50 or whatever from the previous customer.

Yes that's exactly what I thought they were expecting me to pay the fuel for myself and the lady before me then pocket the money from the lady before.

Yes that's exactly what I thought they were expecting me to pay the fuel for myself and the lady before me then pocket the money from the lady before.

So, rule 1. Don't plan to buy something in a day dream.tongue.png

Rule 2. Always check the pump has been reset to zero.

Rule 3. As Rooo says, check with the cashier, who probably isn't in on the scam. But soon will be, if they find out!laugh.png

Or use rule 4. Walk. The cynic in me says that the pump could be fixed in favour of the owner anyway. When was the last time anyone checked that they were given the 5 L of gas they paid for? 4.5 L, 5 L, it all looks the same to me on my indicator which seems to be on permamently empty!laugh.png

So, rule 1. Don't plan to buy something in a day dream.tongue.png

Rule 2. Always check the pump has been reset to zero.

Rule 3. As Rooo says, check with the cashier, who probably isn't in on the scam. But soon will be, if they find out!laugh.png

Or use rule 4. Walk. The cynic in me says that the pump could be fixed in favour of the owner anyway. When was the last time anyone checked that they were given the 5 L of gas they paid for? 4.5 L, 5 L, it all looks the same to me on my indicator which seems to be on permamently empty!laugh.png

Having seen hundreds of water truck rip-offs and cement truck rip-offs, I am sure that your comment re the real litre v the pump litre is correct at some pumps.

But what are the options? I doubt if there is a 'weights and measures' office on the island. In the scale of things - it is not a lot. I always use PTT and Caltex on the grounds that they have more to loose if they are caught cheating. angry.png This of course does not mean that the staff are honest, but if a PTT station was 'shortchanging' every Thai - someone would have said something by now. cool.png

• 2 weeks later...

There was a time when everyone refueling over 1.000 Baht or full tank or so got a water bottle. I think on the mainland it's still usual. Not that I need that bottle, but I refuel every time ~60 liter since years and just remember that and the service cleaning the windshield, this and that....

Yes my tank was full. But surely they know its not possible to put 170 baht into a honda click they must fill them up all the time???

They hesitated at first then I started looking towards the cashier and they said ok ok.

if you want to stay switched on then takre your video caerma every time and filme the whole thing. they might be out off by the camera so you may not even need to turn it on just threaten them with it like as if it was a gun,

infact you could take a gun or is that ppushing the boater out too far .)

It might be a bit dangerous shooting someone with a gun someone might get killed.

Or if he cheats you offer him a cigarrette then through the matchinto some fuel and weeeeeeee drive off laughing

Well I'm guessing you have a Honda PCX,? which used to fill for about that amount..... 170 - 180 baht on empty. Now seems to be in the 220 - 230 baht range.....last three fills. That's a significant jump.... and not just PTT.

No one's considered the fact or looked at the actually price of gas, it's actually gone up ! ohmy.pngprobably nation & world wide????

I saw one place yesterday @ 50 b per litre, listed on the board for one grade... in Nanthon... but that place generally higher anyways... "Sunco" I think it is... & the new "old" Esso station in Ban Tai, was totally sold out the other day... they're generally higher than PTT too...

Brace yourselves, everything else will probably follow....with higher prices ..... .unsure.png

Well I'm guessing you have a Honda PCX,? which used to fill for about that amount..... 170 - 180 baht on empty. Now seems to be in the 220 - 230 baht range.....last three fills. That's a significant jump.... and not just PTT.

No one's considered the fact or looked at the actually price of gas, it's actually gone up ! ohmy.pngprobably nation & world wide????

I saw one place yesterday @ 50 b per litre, listed on the board for one grade... in Nanthon... but that place generally higher anyways... "Sunco" I think it is... & the new "old" Esso station in Ban Tai, was totally sold out the other day... they're generally higher than PTT too...

Brace yourselves, everything else will probably follow....with higher prices ..... .unsure.png

Fair enough statement and true enough, however, at every gas station all over Thailand, I always park my car in such a way that I can see how much goes into the car or bike. I always keep an eye out on the meter.

One of the gas stations that even has a bad rep among Thais is the one in Bang Rak on the way to airport.

• Like 1

pass by there since it opened almost daily and can't remember seeing a car over there.

Wonder, that there is not a PTT in the fast growing Plai Laem market area. There would be enough space before the Tesco Express, also convenient for the boats over there.....

I know that one too of course and I would say traffic there is 10 times less than at the market area - prices, quality, service possibilities, facilities? like PTT? I for one refuel only at the big ones and so do many others....

one thing that might save u getting ripped off is by telling them that you are doing a documentry on ripp of gas stations then ask then if they want to be the star in the show. while we sit back and see how many people he rips off.

the silly <deleted> shall probably try to rip more people off under the pretense tht we are paying him for filming him

Edited by BigC

The only time i've been ripped off was filling up at the one Samui Ring Road just past the new football arena on the left heading south, with a 7-eleven. The guy filling up decided to keep the 20 baht change, I always tip but prefer to give it to the kid rather than them decide for themselves.

I always use the same petrol station in Mae Nam now, set up an account there, never been ripped off, pump starts a zero, receipt is printed off a computer(tax).

Yep, think I kindly paid for the petrol in the bike before me tonight at PTT in Chaweng. The kids drove off pretty quickly having asked for 50 baht, in the split second i looked away, i am fairly sure my fill started at just over 50 baht and that the hose was never replaced in the pump. Couldn't be bothered to argue over 50 baht but lesson learnt :-(