Double Entry Tourist Visa From Vientiane, Laos - Trip Report

Just came back from Laos, I thought a quick trip report might be useful to somebody.

My passport had one previous tourist visa, a double entry also from Laos. I thought I'd try it without any help from the touts to save a bit of cash.

Got to the Thai embassy at 1130AM, there were only 3 people in the queue at this time. The embassy is supposed to close at 12PM, so I was worried that I'd cut it a bit too fine. No problems with the counter staff, the lady flicked through the passport for maybe 10 seconds, gave me a ticket number (the machine was broken), and let me go.

I went inside the building where you pay - there were about 25 other people already waiting there. Everybody sat around until 1210PM, then a guy with a microphone read out a few numbers and quickly processed the payments. After that he told everybody to queue up to pay regardless of numbers, so there was a crazy dash to the front. Got a receipt and went off to find a guesthouse, ready to return the next day.

Inside the payment building I'd seen a sign saying "Passport collection 1PM-3PM", so I thought I'd leave it until 2.15PM - I don't particularly enjoy long queues, and I wasn't in any hurry. I got in and out of the payment building in about 90 seconds.

The visa itself was fine - a double entry as I'd requested for 2000 baht. There was no red stamp, so perhaps Vientiane is loosening up a bit on its visa issuing policies.

Last time around, I didn't intend to get involved with the touts either. I was approached by a personable Laos guy who spoke excellent English at the Thai side of the Friendship Bridge - he offered to take me to the embassy and fill in my forms, then onto a guesthouse for 500 baht. I figured that it was a pretty good deal, so I took the plunge. As part of the service, he marched me straight to the front of the queue and said that I was next. I was pretty embarrassed by this, but I didn't want to complicate the situation that he had somehow taken charge of. It saved me half an hour or so, for what it was worth.

This time around I got a normal taxi to the embassy for 300 baht, and a tuk tuk to my guesthouse for 100 baht, so in theory the tout ( from last time) had only earnt 100 baht extra for his help. However, he took me to a guesthouse costing 700 baht/night that wasn't worth more than 500, so I suspect he was getting a "bonus" from the guesthouse owner. You can dodge that scam easily enough by booking your guesthouse in advance.

The benefit of using them is that they appear to be friendly with the embassy staff, so it is perhaps more likely that you will be given the visa that you want if you go via a tout. Obviously there are no hard and fast rules. If I go to Laos for a third tourist visa I will probably use a tout - it seems that the more tourist visas you have in your passport, the less your chances of getting a double entry from Laos. I've heard that some touts look through your passport beforehand and tell you whether or not you can get your visa.

[quote

...]

My passport had one previous tourist visa, a double entry also from Laos. I thought I'd try it without any help from the touts to save a bit of cash.

Thanks for the report. How much time was there between when you used up the previous double-entry visa and when you applied? Did you have extensions on it?

Two or three months I think, did a couple of visa on entries to stay in Thailand. Yes, I extended my previous visa twice by 30 days so that I could get the full 180 days.

this is surprising news because I was firmly under the impression double entry was unachievable in neighbouring countries?

why do you think Laos is prepared to do it while no other in this region will?

A double entry toruist visa is normally valid for 6 months, meaning you must use both entries within 6 months of date of issue.

But some consulates, like Vientianne, only give a validity of 3 months, so than you only have 3 months from date of issueance to use both entries.

A double entry toruist visa is normally valid for 6 months, meaning you must use both entries within 6 months of date of issue.

But some consulates, like Vientianne, only give a validity of 3 months, so than you only have 3 months from date of issueance to use both entries.

" you only have 3 months from date of issueance to use both entries."

I am confused about this?

I thought the first entry would give you up to 90 days assuming you obtain a 30 day extension.

So are you saying the second entry would then have expired?

No, depending on the number of days you would enter Thailand after getting the visa, you still might have a few days left. If you enter before the date the visa expires, you still get the full 60 days and also can extend it as usual with 30 days.

The visa expiry date is simply an enter before date.

No, depending on the number of days you would enter Thailand after getting the visa, you still might have a few days left. If you enter before the date the visa expires, you still get the full 60 days and also can extend it as usual with 30 days.

The visa expiry date is simply an enter before date.

so for example you have your 60 days and get your 30 day extension and say you leave the country after 26 days

during the extension period and re-enter Thailand on day 28 so then you get another 60 days which can be extended

one more time for 30 days. If this is correct?

A double entry is not impossible in neighbouring countries, but several double entries in a row does seem to be a problem.

Hi,

I need a 90 days - preferably double entry - Non Imm 'O' for purposes of extension after 60 days to a 12 month Non Imm 'O' ( purpose retirement.)

I presume all the above is for a Tourist Visa which I understand is something different?

Is Ventiane only relevant for a Tourist Visa or is a Non Imm 'O' possible?

Rgds.

FS

Edited by factseeker

A non-O visa is either single or multiple. Getting a single non-O is possible with proof of finances. A multiple is unlikely and not needed.

If you are on avisa exempt entry or tourist visa, it is possible to convert to a non-immigrant visa and extension of stay without going abroad. Most immigraiton offices will send you to Bangkok to do it, but some like Chiang Mai and Pattaya immigration will also do it.

A non-O visa is either single or multiple. Getting a single non-O is possible with proof of finances. A multiple is unlikely and not needed.

If you are on avisa exempt entry or tourist visa, it is possible to convert to a non-immigrant visa and extension of stay without going abroad. Most immigraiton offices will send you to Bangkok to do it, but some like Chiang Mai and Pattaya immigration will also do it.

Hi Mario,

Thnxs for advice.

Wife and I came in on Visa waiver 30days with intention to extend to a 90 day non immi O then after 60 days extend to the 12 month non immi O (retirment).

All beautifully organised - minimum outlay - except for one thing.

Thought funds had to be in Thai bank at extension to 12 months from 90 days - not extension from 30 to 90 days.

So with 30 days fast running out - decided to do a 'reset' and start the same path again but after funds in process of transfer.

Now a real mess as running out of time this trip - can prove income now but will take time to get pension funds to Thai bank.

At least do have Thai Bank Account - that went well.

Trying to recover situation - now in Penang and can get a single entry O here - been to see them at immigration - have to say most helpful and patient.

No wish for another debacle so can you advise please.

1. Reading elsewhere in forum seems that maybe a single entry still allows outside visit - if re-entry stamp obtained and visa still within expiry date - correct?

Might want to visit Lao.

2. A single entry Non Immi O 90 days will be OK for purposes of retirement?

3. As a side issue do you know anything about foreign currency accounts in Thailand?

Are they a problem in any way?

Reason I ask is that Pension involves a 'lump sum' over which I have no control except to ask for it.

This means that funds some way above the 800k required would arrive and I have no wish to convert to Thai Baht right now.

Prefer to keep in Sterling.

Any advice gratefully received.

Rgds.

FS

Edited by factseeker

Hi Mario,

Thnxs for advice.

Wife and I came in on Visa waiver 30days with intention to extend to a 90 day non immi O then after 60 days extend to the 12 month non immi O (retirment).

All beautifully organised - minimum outlay - except for one thing.

Thought funds had to be in Thai bank at extension to 12 months from 90 days - not extension from 30 to 90 days.

So with 30 days fast running out - decided to do a 'reset' and start the same path again but after funds in process of transfer.

Now a real mess as running out of time this trip - can prove income now but will take time to get pension funds to Thai bank.

At least do have Thai Bank Account - that went well.

Trying to recover situation - now in Penang and can get a single entry O here - been to see them at immigration - have to say most helpful and patient.

No wish for another debacle so can you advise please.

1. Reading elsewhere in forum seems that maybe a single entry still allows outside visit - if re-entry stamp obtained and visa still within expiry date - correct?

Might want to visit Lao.

2. A single entry Non Immi O 90 days will be OK for purposes of retirement?

3. As a side issue do you know anything about foreign currency accounts in Thailand?

Are they a problem in any way?

Reason I ask is that Pension involves a 'lump sum' over which I have no control except to ask for it.

This means that funds some way above the 800k required would arrive and I have no wish to convert to Thai Baht right now.

Prefer to keep in Sterling.

Any advice gratefully received.

Rgds.

FS

1. It is a single entry visa - you get a 90 day stamp on entry which you can 'preserve' for a further exit/re- entry by purchasing a 'Re-entry Permit' whilst you are inside Thailand - when you exit/re-enter you will be stamped in again to the orginal 'Permitted to Stay Untill' date stamped in your passport, so the max stay before a new visa/extension is 90 days.

2. Such a non immigrant 'O' is fine re your plans for a one year extension of permission to stay on the ground of retirement.

3. Not my area - but I think that foreign currency accounts have caused problems with some immigration depts.

For a conversion it is enough if you can show the money in the bank in Thailand, doesn't have to be there 60 days.

1. with re-entry permit no problem.

2. Single and multiple can both be extended for 1 year, every year, for reason of retirement.

3. Foreign currency accounts are normally accepted, as long as the amount stays above 800,000 THB worth.

Note that retirement is always:

800,000 in a bank account in your name in Thailand (for 2 months for the frist extension and 3 every next)

OR

an income of 65,000 a month (which can be from abroad and in that case must be confirmed by your embassy and dos not have to be deposited in a bank acocunt in Thailand)

OR

a combination of yearly income and money in the bank in Thailand, together totaling 800,000 THB (no need for the money to be seasoned)