Pattaya Bike Week

cdmtdm

Well, it's up to you really...

Do you want to ride through Bangkok which, depending on the time of day can be painless or really sucks, or do you want to make a major detour around to the north which will add a few hours to your travel time but will allow you to avoid the worst of the Big Smoke?

Answer that question and then I can share some recommended routes :)

Happy Trails!

T

thanks Tony , detour sounds good time not a problem , in fact we will head off on weds and dont really wanna be in pattaya until friday so a big detour is ok too...

cheers

Ok, given that you're not in a hurry and would like to go around Bangkok here's a possible itinerary for you-

Hua Hin to Kanchanaburi via Ratchaburi (you could ride up to the dam, perhaps have lunch at the reservoir- if you've never been up there it's really beautiful and a great road).

If you don't have a GPS or a good map it's a bit easy to get lost on the small roads from Ratchaburi to Kanchanburi. So, if that's a concern, don't go via Ratchaburi. Instead ride north on Phet Kasem (Highway 4) until it splits at Nong Pho. Main road goes right towards Bangkok, you'll want to stay left until the road comes to a T at the 323. Hang a left at the T junction and follow the 323 west into Kanchanaburi.

Then after Kanchanaburi you can continue on to Ayutthaya via 324, 321, 357, 329 and finally 309. These are pretty nice roads- mostly going through farm land and some smallish towns. Nothing fantastic, but not unpleasant. I don't know how well Ayutthaya has recovered from the floods, but it's normally a great place to spend an evening.

Following day head NORTH out of Ayuttahya on highway 32 until you rejoin the 329 which turns into the 33 which takes you to the 319 where you'll turn right (south) towards Prachin Buri.

When the 319 ends at a T junction with the 304 you can go either right or left- either way, you'll want to continue south on the 331 which takes you almost to Pattaya- you'll need to hang a right on either 3240 or 36 which will take you to Highway 7 which ends at Sukhumvit.

Here's a link to the route I've described:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Phet+Kasem%2FRoute+4&daddr=Sangchuto+Rd%2FRoute+323%2FAH123+to:Thanon+Rochana+to:14.4462667,100.688683+to:Suwanna+Sorn+Rd%2FRoute+33%2FAH1+to:13.4872422,101.2776913+to:13.013574,101.0669045+to:12.95509,101.01992+to:Route+7&hl=en&sll=12.911377,101.036453&sspn=0.135697,0.264187&geocode=FWx6wwAdxAT1BQ%3BFaD31QAd2r3uBQ%3BFbL72gAdXqT-BQ%3BFbpu3AAdK2MABintmXDa7PQdMTEglh0LN5IBEw%3BFSTs1wAd_voJBg%3BFYrMzQAd-18JBil9ogW8PSYdMTHATLm6StgDEw%3BFUaSxgAdmCgGBil5dXWYWcECMTFBwLy6StgDEw%3BFdKtxQAdEHEFBinrEgDEM8ACMTFRZ6anStgDEw%3BFZqGxQAd7K8DBg&mra=dpe&mrsp=7&sz=13&via=3,5,6,7&t=m&z=13

If you have a GPS you'll have no problems. If you don't have a GPS you may want to print out the map and directions and take them with you. Many roads and intersections are not well marked in Thailand so it's easy to miss a turn.

Have a great ride!

Tony :)

you can also sneak around the city by that route: Comig from Hua Hin on Rama II ride down until turn right into Suksawad there on straight down towards Pharpadaeng take a ferry or the Bhumibhol I bridge to cross the river (bikes normally not allowed). Ridestrough Pharpadeang and soon you will hit Sukhumvit in Samrong area. From there on you can ride straight down the old Sukhumvit trough Samut Prakarn then soon its Chonburi -> Pattaya

Have a good one :)

thanks guys , Tony that sounds the go , Teddy has a gps he is dying to use more and we want to put on a few miles on this trip , leave Phuket weds early into Pattaya Friday late afternoon ... sounds easily done

cheers

you can also sneak around the city by that route: Comig from Hua Hin on Rama II ride down until turn right into Suksawad there on straight down towards Pharpadaeng take a ferry or the Bhumibhol I bridge to cross the river (bikes normally not allowed). Ridestrough Pharpadeang and soon you will hit Sukhumvit in Samrong area. From there on you can ride straight down the old Sukhumvit trough Samut Prakarn then soon its Chonburi -> Pattaya

Have a good one smile.png

I have yet to find that dam_n ferry! One of these days I must give it a try!

Have a good one smile.png

I have yet to find that dam_n ferry! One of these days I must give it a try!

I took it once about 8 years ago,and believe it or not, I still have nightmares from it standing with a 350 kg bike which is fully loaded on the ramp when the ferry leaves and there isn't anything but water below you.Remind you that the ramp must be at about 45 degrees and a 2km dirt road is leading to it. Edited by janverbeem