Buy Clothes Here Or In England?

sidjameson

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you checked the current UK temperatures????

You will need warm weather clothing that you are unlikely to find in Thailand

I took a merino cardigan from Scotland to my Thai GF, my friends in Scotland thought I was mad taking that to her, when she first looked at it she thought I was mad too ( I'm quite good at reading female body language, especially the disdainful reactions ). Anyway, she lives in Chiang Mai, and they promptly had a cold snap and I was elevated in her eyes to the role of fashion guru, soothsayer and life saver as her new favourite item of clothing became the talk of her friends as they all sat shivering in unheated bars and restaurants.

That's the good news, the bad news is I dumped her last week for being in possession of a Thai personality.

Marks and Spencers. Pair of leather boat shoes for 40 quid. High quality pure cotton polo shirts specially designed to keep you cool 8-12 quid each. T-shirts a fiver. The best knickers and socks in the business. Don't know about jeans but you can buy two pairs of their basic chinos for 30 quid.

www.landsend.co.uk

Their stuff is guaranteed for ever. If you're not happy at any time send it back and they'll give you your money back. I sent a 4 year old shirt back because the stitching was coming undone. Got my money back by return of post. I'm still wearing polo shirts that I bought from them 10 years ago.

THe high streets are full of charity shops and you might be able to pick up a bargain if you have the time. With current temps in the UK you certainly need to wait and assess the situation when you arrive. But it has to be UK not Thailand.

I'm a bit of a clothes-horse so maybe not the best person to commment but...for £20 you can get an excellent shirt made in Thailand. Drop the T-shirts and get some shirts, 'designer' clothes are good if you can afford them but a t-shirt with Versace or Ralph Lauren wriiten on it is not 'designer' clothes. Also if it says Versace Jeans or anything Jeans then its its no more 'designer' then George@Asda.

The old adage 'you get what you pay for' is relevant here. Although if the budget is too tight to stretch...good quality shoes are easy to find in BKK. Even buying from a Big C gets you good quality, hard wearing shoes but the styles are limited and they'll be under your budget.

If I buy t-shirts I get them from the UK as they're cheaper and I find the t-shirts sold here to be much thicker, which I don't like in the hot weather.

I'd up the budget for the jeans and buy diesel. Good Jeans last for years so in my view worth the expense.

In the UK try Gap and Next. Not always the cheapest but they are good quality.

Who knew M n S were so reasonable!!!! Will be paying them a visit.

Took note of the diesal jeans too.

And the guy that said looking the part will go a long way in Thailand; I have to agree, thats why I am making an effort.

Would like to wear shirts but fearful that even the 5 minute walk to the station will have me looking like I took a swim in the klong.

Oh and the clothes I buy in uk will be for Thailand. Dont really care what I look like in blighty to tell the truth. lol

And the guy that said looking the part will go a long way in Thailand; I have to agree, thats why I am making an effort.

Would like to wear shirts but fearful that even the 5 minute walk to the station will have me looking like I took a swim in the klong.

Oh and the clothes I buy in uk will be for Thailand. Dont really care what I look like in blighty to tell the truth. lol

Don't think l have every seen a bloke that looks the part in LOS, seen plenty who think they look the part. biggrin.png

• Like 2

you have to be a bit careful with tee and polo shirts they can be too good quality / thread count designed for u.k climate and get back here and you'll be uncomfortable in them, also cheap tee shirts are often thicker and too hot for thailand.

take a look in river island and top man they should have some last season or end sale items .

i went back to the u.k after being away for just 3 years and i was amazed how clothes had changed in the u.k.

next is fine for a pair of jeans and much cheaper i doubt you'll need genuine levis and deisel when you come back to thailand.

i wouldn't recommend you buy clothes from all these different shops people are suggesting because the clothes may not go together ,

you also may want to think about what you'll be wearing back in thailand so if your wearing shorts here then buy shirts in the u.k that will go well with them.

go for simple design clothes but try to get good quality/designer - your after versatility ,

and the fit is very very important,

if i were you i would try some shopping in bkk first to practice.

in the u.k the staff are very good so ask there advice especially jeans shopping it isn't easy,

good luck,

have fun

Marks and Spencers. Pair of leather boat shoes for 40 quid. High quality pure cotton polo shirts specially designed to keep you cool 8-12 quid each. T-shirts a fiver. The best knickers and socks in the business. Don't know about jeans but you can buy two pairs of their basic chinos for 30 quid.

Well said M and S shareholder! Sadly the shop has slipped from grace and is no longer the bastion of good quality products that is was once famed for, slashing quality to keep margins up, staid ranges that dont aim at the whole range aims has takne its toll. For along time they did not believe their customers would ever dessert them, over the year they have and its a lot harder to win them back.

By all means have a look and see if they have learnt anything, dont be surprised if you dont.

In Blighty no one takes any notice of anyone but themselves, so I agree why bother especially when you get to certain age, whatever that might be.

I would wait till you back to the UK and go to Primark, the quality is better, might get some bargains in Sports World as well.

Even in Primark...what do you thing he is going to get for 30 quid ?...rolleyes.gif

With the budget suggest by the OP sounds like the local Tesco Lotus would fit the price range. wonder when you were last back i the UK? you might just have the VAT covered now add more for the cloths! lol

I would wait till you back to the UK and go to Primark, the quality is better, might get some bargains in Sports World as well.

Even in Primark...what do you thing he is going to get for 30 quid ?...rolleyes.gif

With the budget suggest by the OP sounds like the local Tesco Lotus would fit the price range. wonder when you were last back in the UK? you might just have the VAT covered now add more for the cloths! lol

I could be out of date with prices...lol

But the replies so far...are as confused as I am. lol

A lot of people just haven't really bought clothes here outside of maybe night market t-shirts, or are too big for them, or need brand names. You can get really nice looking clothes here for really good prices. I'd suggest taking a chick with you to Platinum Fashion Mall to help you pick out stuff if you can. Although that may eat in to any savings you would have over back home

Edited by DP25

I am in the UK and I do all my clothes shopping in the UK. Asda and Tesco are doing excellent deals on clothes, and decent quality too. Primark are super cheap however they can wash out too easily ( as mentioned earlier). The best value for money is TK Maxx, they do somE superb deals on branded clothes. I was in recently and they were doing Ted Baker shirts at £15.00, as well as Ralph Lauren and many other brands at around the same price. If your not sure about styling get a lady ( sister? niece? cousin? ) to go with you. They will love that.

I could suggest taking a gf with you but that will end up costing you a fortune as they will start batting their eyelashes when they see some of the designer gear at the right price.

By the way I have taken note of the fact that you are not bothered about designer gear, but why not buy it at these prices? and the quality is far superior to a lot of the cheapo crap out there.

ps I bought a nice pair of Lambretta shoes in TK Maxx for £25.00......their shoe selection is quite limited but you can get some real bargains.

I'd forgotten about TK Maxx! Definitely the best advice provided on this thread - find a TK Maxx and shop there.

As long as you're not looking for the latest fashion, they sell good quality clothes v cheaply BUT, you need to pay attention, as they also sell low quality clothes.

In Blighty no one takes any notice of anyone but themselves, so I agree why bother especially when you get to certain age, whatever that might be.

I don't agree with that.....there isn't much you can do about the ageing process but there is no need to give up on dressing well. There are too many people living in Thailand slouching about the place 24/7 in athletics vests and shorts. It winds me up when I am at a decent restaurant or night club and these guys come slouching in.

I'm not advocating dressing sharply 24/7 either, but there is a time and place.

If you are in Bangkok, I would say go to Pratunam. Good prices good quality. If you need winter clothes, plenty there also.

Although for underwear I would say Next are about the best.

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1

IME M&S have slipped bah.gif

I would not buy underwear or socks there any more, far too expensive and not the quality they used to be.

Get those items before you leave

Must disagree, mine are 10 yrs old and perfect. Worn once and washed, still going strong. They may not look much BUT they are good. drunk.gif

I would not buy underwear or socks there any more, far too expensive and not the quality they used to be.

Must disagree, mine are 10 yrs old and perfect. Worn once and washed, still going strong. They may not look much BUT they are good. drunk.gif

Perhaps standards have slipped since you last bought new undies ten years ago.

Noooo, my pal just brought me over some exact additions to my undies collection. Some here do not understand, it's not what they look like, YOU will never look like the ads, it's about materials used, plain and simple, BUT many are more concerned about looking like the guy in the ad than understanding, comfort and longevity. rolleyes.gif

Except for a few items, I've found just about everything cheaper in North America if I shop in Wallmart. I happen to like the Camo brand shirts with the big pockets in Thailand, and the same goes for the shorts with multi-pockets, but other than that I can find cheaper deals in Canada just about every time if I'm not in a big hurry. I would imagine that England is similar if you know what you like and know where to shop. Shoes are certainly cheaper elsewhere than Thailand.

I am not fat but the few things I buy here are all tight around the legs. I wonder if the opposite is true with American clothes?

Anyway, how much are 501's here compared to uk?

If you find the 501's a bit tight around your legs, I suggest you get yourself a pair of Wranglers Texas Stretch in the UK, either online or by a store. They can be bought in three choices of blues plus black, the light blue one is of very fine, thin quality and fits perfectly for your next trip to tropic Bangkok.

Actually I split up my clothing budget between Europe and Bangkok. The best of what each offers can be found in either place.

I agree to a previous poster to raise the budget on a quality pair of Jeans and quality shoes in the UK, and all the rest you get for much less in BKK.

However, underwear, shirts & T-shirts can be bought in Bangkok at very good quality and very good pricing, if you dare to shop around a little bit at Mah Boon Krong ( Tokiyu Dep. Store) and at the Fashion Mall across from Pratunam Market.

Inside Bayoke Tower I personally shop every year for the past 15 years for shirts - a batique-style fine fabric - at CARBON in the first floor of the Tower, pay 600 BHT for one shirt - warning, don't laugh at me, if you check their quality cotton and stitching quality you will understand why I would be willing to pay such an exorbitant high price - I have never been dissapointed by the quality after many many washings - on the left of course !

In the fashion Malls, there are many more stores of this calibre and choice - well you said you hate shopping , but that's how to get to the basics in Bangers - keep your shopping restricted to airconditioned malls and you will hopefully find it quite interesting to compare. Allow your fingers test the fabrics and determine. In the tropics, the thinner the cotton fabric, the more comfortable it feels when being worn. Find out about one CARBON shirt, and compare all others against this one, you won't ever be dissapointed by a mislead or gone-wrong buy.

Underwear, I find in the 3 rd parallel road behind the Khaosan Road - I am a bit clumsy, and all their cotton underwear fit, though !

If you buy at the street stalls , you must expect a poorer quality - what do you expect from a 3 $ shirt anyways , but like I said many department stores have excellent quality , but NOT your pants & underwear size as well as probably NOT your shoe size. Jeans here all are manyfactured in a different cut from that of the UK , more fit for asian (shorter) legs. Don't get yourself talked into buying one here. Only Bermuda or Short pants will fit you.

Noooo, my pal just brought me over some exact additions to my undies collection. Some here do not understand, it's not what they look like, YOU will never look like the ads, it's about materials used, plain and simple, BUT many are more concerned about looking like the guy in the ad than understanding, comfort and longevity. rolleyes.gif

Holy Cow, class AAA advice !!!!jap.gif

Personally, Marks & Spencers is the only place for me for good quality clothes, COTTON, costs, but, last forever.

Sadly, M&S food does not. How I wish M&S had food shops in Thailand. And yes, M&S offers some indestructible clothes. I can keep a pair of M&S underwear for years. Lifespan of former Carrefour sourced underwear is less than a year. The quality in Thailand for regular clothes available at the malls and the street vendors, is poor. Colours run, seams disintegrate and the weave thread count is minimal leading to shiny pants syndrome.

There a a few m&s outlets in thailand. Not full selection, but some basic treats are available here.

Interesting thread as I'm going back to the UK next month too and haven't been for 6 years.

I'm out of touch about clothes and shopping.

What I need to buy is warm jackets for me, the wife and kids. Some jumpers, scarves, gloves?, and hats. Welly boots maybe and longjohns.

Any suggestions?

I've never heard of Primark.

Skis, showshoes, balaclava, mittens (warmer than gloves) and don't forget the fur lined jockstrap. giggle.gif