Maldives President Nasheed resigns after public protests, mutiny

News_Editor

Maldives President Nasheed resigns after public protests, mutiny

2012-02-08 03:24:31 GMT+7 (ICT)

MALE, MALDIVES (BNO NEWS) -- Maldives president Mohamed Nasheed on Tuesday announced his resignation after weeks of opposition protests and a mutiny by some police officers. Vice president Waheed Hassan was sworn in to take over.

Nasheed, the country's first democratically-elected president, made the announcement during a televised news conference after signing a letter of resignation which was addressed to the Speaker of the People's Majlis as per the requirements of the Constitution.

"As I see it, if I remain as president any longer, there would be numerous repercussions and a lot of damage for which reason I have resigned as president of the Maldives," he said. "I wish everyone a better future and I have never believed in remaining in power by the use of force."

The former president, during his news conference, added that he wishes the Maldives will have a 'consolidated democracy.' "I wish for justice to be established. My wish is for the progress and prosperity of the people," he said.

Nasheed won the country's first democratic election in October 2008, defeating long-time President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom who led the country for three decades. As president, Nasheed strongly supported the environmental movement, fighting global warming and climate change as the archipelago nation faces inundation due to rising sea levels.

Opposition protests that led to his resignation were triggered after Nasheed ordered the arrest of Judge Abdulla Mohamed, the country's Criminal Court chief, who ordered the release of a government critic. Mohamed argued that the critic was illegally arrested, but Nasheed accused the judge of being controlled by Gayoom.

Hundreds of police forces joined the protests in Male, the capital of the Maldives, on Tuesday as troops clashed with demonstrators. A group of mutinying police officers also took control of state television in Male and began playing out messages in support of Gayoom.

Nasheed visited police officials to ease tensions, but it only fueled further chants for his resignation. However, it remains unclear if Nasheed had been forced to resign due to reports that Nasheed was being held against his will by security forces at the presidential palace in the capital.

"Security forces say they can't release him, he wants to come home," Nasheed's brother, Ibrahim, told the BBC.

After Tuesday's resignation, Vice-President Mohamed Waseed was sworn in by Chief Justice Ahmed Faiz Hussain as the fifth president of the Maldives. He later issued a statement in which he assured that rule of law will be maintained and that no unlawful orders would be issued.

"The nation witnessed difficult times in the recent past, but today the Maldivian people have made a momentous decision," Waheed said in his statement. "Following that decision ... at any cost, the rule of law must be upheld."

The new president, who may continue to serve until presidential elections take place next year, also called on political parties and the public to set aside differences in order to establish national unity. Speaking on transitional justice, Waheed said no law must be violated in any revenge against past political leaders.

Responding to the developments, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon expressed his 'strong hope' that the handover of power will lead to the peaceful resolution of the political crisis. "[ban] calls on all Maldivians to refrain from violence and engage constructively in addressing the challenges their country is facing and to protect and build upon the important gains the Maldives has made in recent years in establishing democracy and rule of law," his spokesman said.

The spokesman added: "The Secretary-General acknowledges the important contributions of President Nasheed, the country's first democratically-elected president, to the establishment of democracy in the Maldives and his role in raising international awareness of the dangers of climate change and rising seas. The United Nations will remain a close partner of the Maldives and will continue to extend its support in the period ahead."

The United Kingdom, Germany and Australia updated their travel advice for the Maldives in response to the unrest, warning their citizens to reconsider their need to travel. "Further protests, political unrest and violence could occur in coming days," the Australian government said. "You should avoid public gatherings and protest, particularly in Male, as they may turn violent."

In London, a spokesperson for the UK Foreign Office said the British government has received no reports of unrest directly affecting tourists, tourist resorts or other islands. "The international airport, which is on a separate island to the capital, is operating normally," the spokesperson said.

"Ministers are seeking to speak to Maldivian leaders, including the former President, Vice-President and leader of the opposition. A team from the British High Commission in Colombo will travel to the Maldives urgently," the spokesperson added. "The Maldives is a new democracy and we view these developments with concern. We call on all groups and institutions in the Maldives to find a peaceful way through these difficulties, in accordance with the Constitution."

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-02-08

It looks like the cave dwelling theocrats are intent on destroying the tourist industry cash cow, just as their counterparts in Egypt are doing.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gpQRnwpootZot3dABRpS168QzLbg?docId=CNG.b7b84d73ae0e2b3179e9deb594bd393e.481

MALE — At the Maldives' National Museum, smashed Buddhist statues are testament to the rise of Islamic extremism and Taliban-style intolerance in a country famous as a laid-back holiday destination.

It looks like we have an attempt to turn this into an anti-islamic thread.

The OP doesn't address that issue and I would suggest you don't either.

Scott, The Maldives is so tiny you'd be hard pressed to find news items about it which were not general to the whole Island. The article also points out that the former president was commended by US diplomats as being progressive and moderate, alas the same does not appear to be true for some of those who contributed to his resignation, if it's anti-Islamic to point that out then so is the truth.

Unfortunately, in this particular case, religious zealots are aligned with the former dictator and his corrupt police force. The dictator wants his power back, the police are upset about the attempts to clean up corruption and so they both play to the religious segment, using them to overthrow an elected government. It is a sad situation, particularly since the former dictator and the police represent everything the religious group is opposed to.

Very sad, and I expect this will soon get bloody.

Unfortunately, in this particular case, religious zealots are aligned with the former dictator and his corrupt police force. The dictator wants his power back, the police are upset about the attempts to clean up corruption and so they both play to the religious segment, using them to overthrow an elected government. It is a sad situation, particularly since the former dictator and the police represent everything the religious group is opposed to.

Indeed it is very sad and reflects the world geopolitical situation in microcosm. Not for the first time do autocrats team up with the religious right wing in order to obtain/regain power.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca

The trouble is that by using religious zealots as a tool to further your own aims you let a cat out of the bag which is extremely difficult to stuff back in. I do hope the world is paying attention.

Indeed it is very sad and reflects the world geopolitical situation in microcosm. Not for the first time do autocrats team up with the religious right wing in order to obtain/regain power.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca

The trouble is that by using religious zealots as a tool to further your own aims you let a cat out of the bag which is extremely difficult to stuff back in. I do hope the world is paying attention.

If they didn't get the message from the Osama Bin Laden/Taliban debacle in Afghanistan to oust the Russians I doubt the Maldives is going to make a difference.