Camping In Thailand

backpacker4ever

Hello!

Could anyone here give me some tips on how to find campgrounds or very inexpensive places to stay in Thailand?

I'm heading for Chiang Mai for a few days of camping, but I don't know what to do after that. The wind always seems to carry me off on new adventures, but I'd like to develop even the most vague of game plans!

I'd like to explore all of Thailand, and see the real towns and countryside, but I am on a limited budget. Any advice would be most appreciated!

Thank you all in advance!

Thank you both for your kind and helpful replies!!! CDNVIC: your

link is invaluable, and you, CharlieH, have given me some much-needed optimism!

I will post here on the progression of my Thai oddesy, if you're interested.

Thank you again!

The link works for me...

Dear Canardo,

I don't mean to be impertinent; perhaps you misunderstood my comment. "Invaluable" indicates something having such great value that it is impossible to calculate. For me, cdnvic's reference to that website is proving to be a precious gift, a gift from a kind stranger which will enable me to explore Thailand in my preffered fashion. Actually, in the only fashion I can afford, Ha Ha! No pretentions here.

Also, I would like to add that CharlieH's Spock rules! My next haircut is going to be the Spock.

Thanks to all of you international explorers.

Dear Canardo,

I don't mean to be impertinent; perhaps you misunderstood my comment. "Invaluable" indicates something having such great value that it is impossible to calculate. For me, cdnvic's reference to that website is proving to be a precious gift, a gift from a kind stranger which will enable me to explore Thailand in my preffered fashion. Actually, in the only fashion I can afford, Ha Ha! No pretentions here.

Also, I would like to add that CharlieH's Spock rules! My next haircut is going to be the Spock.

Thanks to all of you international explorers.

If you like CharlieH's avatar so much what about mine ?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Yermaneewai.gif

Kao Yai has some great designated camp sites with toilet/shower facilities and brick built BBqs with electrical sockets in some (not sure if they work) it's very good for entry level camping with equipment hire and little danger from anything bigger than monkeys. Although there be tigers and bears, you'll find leeches more of a problem than anything else.

That you ask about Motels seems to indicate you have no clue wahtsoever how TH here works. There are hardly any Motels-those that look like that are tipically shorttime places for not a nap-but an hour or so of carnal pleasure with someone you just rented for that.
It all seems to me:
you are young, want a cheap (but most likely you have no idea what cheap here really means) and not taken the obvious very first step; a GUIDEBOOK. JUst borrow an older one from your library to start with. Then you find hat there are in the touristy areas=those areas you most likely want  to go to, scores, tons of cheap GUESThouses=a kind of pension/hotel but much more basic. Rooms (be aware: NOT HoStel again) there in the lowest bracket only offer a bed and a fan and cost from 100/120 bt/night. and up. There is always some frying up Thai food around-meals from 30 bt/plate.
Those campings are often rundown affairs from the state and obvously also limit you to parks=not the main cities etc and can also be quite nasty to even get to. Plus dragging a tent around is simply an utter waste of weight and time.
Frankly: this site is not aimed at bekpekkers like you-a heritage from oldtime wrong google-labelling. Go to sites like lonelyplanet/thorntree (yes, from those guidebooks) or travelfish and read more. ANY tipical first time newbie Q is posted there a few million times with answers.

admittedly I have only camped in Kao Yai but it was not at all rundown but well maintained

We drove and brought our own camping stuff however friends were able to hire every bit of equipment they needed very inexpensively.

There are buses from Bangkok and songthaews in the park that take you to the sites - or you can hop in the back of someone's pickup as no one seems to mind

Thanks, everyone for your advice! I am exploring and learning as I go along, and it's quite an adventure.

I went to Kanchanaburi with some new friends for a few days of camping right on the Kwai Noi river.

I can't seem to post a link, but info on the "4:20 Campground" can be found on the vacationthailandandtour

website, if anyone's interested. Just add the dot com to the end!

It's utterly gorgeous, and incredibly inexpensive. We rented tents, but they also have a floating

hotel/restaurant. We went river rafting, elephant riding, and saw the Bridge on the River Kwai.

The natural beauty of the area is astounding, and I'm definitely going back, perhaps after checking

out Chonburi and Rayong.

I met some cool people at the 4:20 Campground, both Thai and foreign, and sat in on the drums with a blues band.

At 4:20 each day, everyone gathers on the veranda of the floating hotel for a spiritually renewing ceremony. At night,

we had a campfire, a drum circle, some great conversation, and swimming in a natural pool at the side of the river.

I am being charmed by Thailand, and I never want to leave. Every day brings unexpected delights, and it

truly is the land of smiles.