Barcode Insert In Passport At Immigration

CaptainSplod

Yes - went for the usual 90 day report at CM Immigration - and no probs at all. An amazing amount of people, there - although that's a pretty normal thing, these days...

Only thing unsusual was that after handing over the usual form and photocopies, some of my passport info was then apparently registered onto their computer system. A small printer then produced a barcode slip which was stuck onto the last page of my passport. I gather it's another new thing that they're starting on.

I suppose it's for future control of - well, whatever - but I was wondering if anybody actually KNOWS what this is all about? Just curious - that's all.

Thanks

I just did my 90 day report here in Pattaya on Monday and I had no such barcode inserted. Just the bottom of the form ripped off and stapled in my passport back like always.

TBH.. there's not even a computer on the desk where they do the 90 day reporting and no info was recorded from my passport other than what was on my form.

Edited by Jayman

I also went in today for the 90 day report. Arrived around 3:10PM and out around 3:15. As mentioned, lots of people at the main building but also a bunch at the old building - don't know what they are doing there. They also put a bar code in my passport but also stapled the new report in so has not yet replaced it.

Hopefully they will have a scanner put in and you just walk up to it, put your passport with bar code page on it and done and dusted. Of course need a siren and red flashing light if it shows as being late and an ATM slider to pay your 2000 baht penalty. biggrin.png

I just had the barcode inserted in my passport. From the immigration officer: Next 90 day reporting I will only need the the completed form TM?? and no photocopies.

We have just helped save a tree. Now if we could only do this with our extensions.

CM immigration: Have always found them helpfull.

Edited by newcomer01

...seriously now...I went to Immigration today and asked about the barcode,it's confirmed,next time you go for the 90-day you only fill lout the form and no copies necessary....one small step in the right direction!...the only problem for the lady in back making copies,she will lose about 6 baht on everyone of us...

...seriously now...I went to Immigration today and asked about the barcode,it's confirmed,next time you go for the 90-day you only fill lout the form and no copies necessary....one small step in the right direction!...the only problem for the lady in back making copies,she will lose about 6 baht on everyone of us...

Then presumably the person producing the little bar code strips has more influence than the photocopy person.

So, how about those who are sending theirs in........no change?

What if you have a barcode because you went.......but this time you want to send it.

Send photocopies as before + barcode?

Edited by uptheos

What if you have a barcode because you went.......but this time you want to send it.

...beats me Uptheos...maybe just send a copy of your barcode..??giggle.gif

...beats me Uptheos...maybe just send a copy of your barcode..??giggle.gif

This is the trouble nothing is ever explained clearly by immigration.

They are unable to think of all situations when making changes, which they should do as an important part of government.

I, too, got the bar code on Wednesday. As the young lady was pasting it in, I commented that that was new and asked her what it was for. She replied, as Newcomer01 said, that I would not need to provide copies of my passport next time unless my address changed. Just bring the TM 47 and passport.

It would be interesting to learn who all got them and who did not. Will everyone get one or just those that have demonstrated a fixed address? I have had no address change for 5 years. Does that make a difference?

More likely her sales will increase because they will now require a copy of the bar code coffee1.gif

So, no-one actually knows what the situation is if you send your 90 day report in?. I suppose just keep doing it as usual until they inform you that you need a barcode. If it comes back as usual then obviously you are barcode free......I guess.unsure.png

I did send an e-mail to them yesterday to see if they could clarify it. Of course getting a response may be wishful thinking. wink.png

Like Tywais says maybe it is for a future where you just run it through a scanner.

That would speed things up and maybe free a staff to do retirement re-newels.

I like to day ream some times.

What if your address has changed?

Does it make a difference it is just a check in to see if you are still in Thailand. You don't really think they check addresses against your last check in do you.

Any way it is just a hope. Makes more sense to them than not checking in like many of the posters here seem to think ruins their stay in Thailand.

Could be a problem with the mail in people.

So, no-one actually knows what the situation is if you send your 90 day report in?. I suppose just keep doing it as usual until they inform you that you need a barcode. If it comes back as usual then obviously you are barcode free......I guess.unsure.png

I did send an e-mail to them yesterday to see if they could clarify it. Of course getting a response may be wishful thinking. wink.png

I think it is defined very clearly in Thai. Problem being most Farongs can not speak it or read it. Also a literal translation can have a different meaning from one culture to another. Also they do not feel that they need are approval.

Just playing the Devils Advocate.

I think it is defined very clearly in Thai. Problem being most Farongs can not speak it or read it. Also a literal translation can have a different meaning from one culture to another. Also they do not feel that they need are approval. Just playing the Devils Advocate.

My mistake in not 'snipping' out the quote more - I meant I sent an e-mail to clarify the bar code. Sorry about the confusion.

They probably haven't thought this through and I guess they will solve it the 'Thai way', i.e. no more postal notifications.wink.png

This information was supplied by Raindancer in a duplicate topic.

I have just spoken with the local desk officer in charge of immigration in Chiang Mai to clarify the barcode situation. And NOT the Titular head who promotes the policy of immigration rules.

He ( the local commander in charge of immigration of daily applications) has confirmed that the barcode holds details of your passport, entry date into Thailand, current address details and current visa details. And yes in future those applying for 90 day reports at the office will have their barcode scanned and only need to produce a TM47 and their passport along with the barcode placed in their passports..

However there is no plan to deny the existing "mail in customers" submitting their applications, which will be treated in the hitherto fashion and will NOT cause any problems for existing "mail in " customers. Service for "mail in customers" will continue as normal.

I hope that this helps. If you are in doubt regarding this update from me, then by all means contact immigration to verify this update for yourselves.

I will not divulge his personal cell number nor his name...That would be a betrayal of the friendship and trust that I have established with him over the years.

If you need to call Immigration for confirmation, it is in the telephone internet site. Chok Di!

Regards

• Like 2