Barcode Insert In Passport At Immigration

CaptainSplod

This information was supplied by Raindancer in a duplicate topic.

I have just spoken with the local desk officer in charge of immigration in Chiang Mai to clarify the barcode situation. And NOT the Titular head who promotes the policy of immigration rules.

He ( the local commander in charge of immigration of daily applications) has confirmed that the barcode holds details of your passport, entry date into Thailand, current address details and current visa details. And yes in future those applying for 90 day reports at the office will have their barcode scanned and only need to produce a TM47 and their passport along with the barcode placed in their passports..

However there is no plan to deny the existing "mail in customers" submitting their applications, which will be treated in the hitherto fashion and will NOT cause any problems for existing "mail in " customers. Service for "mail in customers" will continue as normal.

I hope that this helps. If you are in doubt regarding this update from me, then by all means contact immigration to verify this update for yourselves.

I will not divulge his personal cell number nor his name...That would be a betrayal of the friendship and trust that I have established with him over the years.

If you need to call Immigration for confirmation, it is in the telephone internet site. Chok Di!

Regards

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm starting to get worried by all this...............Immigration becoming more sensible, actually reducing the reams of pointless paperwork we churn out for them to file away. Where will it all end, I ask?drunk.gif

edit: Anybody ever thought just how many copies of your passport you have given Immigration over the years?

Edited by catmac

This information was supplied by Raindancer in a duplicate topic.

I have just spoken with the local desk officer in charge of immigration in Chiang Mai to clarify the barcode situation. And NOT the Titular head who promotes the policy of immigration rules.

He ( the local commander in charge of immigration of daily applications) has confirmed that the barcode holds details of your passport, entry date into Thailand, current address details and current visa details. And yes in future those applying for 90 day reports at the office will have their barcode scanned and only need to produce a TM47 and their passport along with the barcode placed in their passports..

However there is no plan to deny the existing "mail in customers" submitting their applications, which will be treated in the hitherto fashion and will NOT cause any problems for existing "mail in " customers. Service for "mail in customers" will continue as normal.

I hope that this helps. If you are in doubt regarding this update from me, then by all means contact immigration to verify this update for yourselves.

I will not divulge his personal cell number nor his name...That would be a betrayal of the friendship and trust that I have established with him over the years.

If you need to call Immigration for confirmation, it is in the telephone internet site. Chok Di!

Regards

Thanks for the clarification.

+1 Cheers

<snip for brevity>

Hopefully they will have a scanner put in and you just walk up to it, put your passport with bar code page on it and done and dusted. Of course need a siren and red flashing light if it shows as being late and an ATM slider to pay your 2000 baht penalty. biggrin.png

Or perhaps just a trap-door, with a chute, leading to the Tiger-Pit at the Night-Safari ? ohmy.pngtongue.png

I do mail address reporting, and I don't see the barcode thing as a problem at all.

Most likely they are doing the barcode thing to expedite the processing of the human tidal wave that they have to deal with daily now, what with the Myanmar migrant workers, etc.

If and when I am informed that I need to present myself, front and center, in full uniform, to receive my official "barcode"....I will step over the border somewhere, reset the 90 day reporting clock, and just ignore the whole bother for a while.

:)

• 1 year later...

<snip for brevity>

Hopefully they will have a scanner put in and you just walk up to it, put your passport with bar code page on it and done and dusted. Of course need a siren and red flashing light if it shows as being late and an ATM slider to pay your 2000 baht penalty. biggrin.png

Or perhaps just a trap-door, with a chute, leading to the Tiger-Pit at the Night-Safari ? ohmy.png tongue.png

Be careful, the night safari might put you on their restaurant menu as 'exotic meat'.

Wow Chiang Mai, guess is a long way North and rather behind the times up there ?

I have a New Passport February 2012, so well over 1 year....... yes I have a Bar code on it, even have one on the old Passport, believe end of 2011 [ 50 km north of BKK.]

What does it doooooo ??

No idea, but going to Immigration or at some borders [others still scan the i.d page] the Thai Officer scans the Bar code, No less paperwork needed, maybe just saves the Officer typing as your history pops up in front of them on the PC........ Still all the paperwork is checked, then everything also written in the ledger books before another office stamps and adds another signature, my last Visit that last Officer checked every date and stamp in my Passport and counted the days between