Medical TV drama 'House' to end after eight seasons

News_Editor

Medical TV drama 'House' to end after eight seasons

2012-02-09 08:00:27 GMT+7 (ICT)

LOS ANGELES (BNO NEWS) -- The producers of the medical drama 'House, M.D.' on Wednesday announced the popular television series will end after the current season. The decision was said to have been made by the show's producers.

In a joint statement, executive producers David Shore, Katie Jacobs and Hugh Laurie called it a 'painful' decision to end the show after eight years. "The producers have always imagined House as an enigmatic creature; he should never be the last one to leave the party. How much better to disappear before the music stops, while there is still some promise and mystique in the air," the producers said.

'House', starring Hugh Laurie as the medical genius Dr. Gregory House, debuted on the Fox network in November 2004. Premiering to only 7 million U.S. viewers, the audience quickly grew to nearly 20 million by the end of the season, making it one of the most-watched television shows of the television season.

The audience continued to grow and reached a peak of 29 million viewers towards the end of the fourth season, after which the numbers began to drop amid poor reviews claiming the show had lost its sense of humor. Nonetheless, 'House' continued to be distributed around the world and, last year, Hugh Laurie earned a spot in the Guinness Book of Records as the world's most-watched man on television.

But ratings have continued to plummet this season, with three episodes premiering to just 6 million U.S. viewers, the lowest numbers since the first episodes of the first season in 2004.

"By April this year [the producers of House] will have completed 177 episodes, which is about 175 more than anyone expected back in 2004," the producers said in their joint statement. "The decision to end the show now, or ever, is a painful one, as it risks putting asunder hundreds of close friendships that have developed over the last eight years - but also because the show itself has been a source of great pride to everyone involved."

They added: "The producers can never sufficiently express their gratitude to the hundreds of dedicated artists and technicians who have given so generously of their energy and talent to make House the show it has been - and perhaps will continue to be for some time, on one cable network or another."

Kevin Reilly, President of Entertainment at the Fox Broadcasting Company, thanked the producers and fans of the show. "While it's with much regret, and a lump in our throats, we respect the decision Hugh, David and Katie have made," he said. "A true original, on the page and amazingly brought to life by Hugh Laurie, there is only one Dr. House. For eight seasons, the entire House team has given us - and fans around the world - some of the most compelling characters and affecting stories ever seen on television."

The final episode of 'House' is scheduled to air on May 21.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-02-09

Yes, the cynical hobbling Dr has exhausted his repertoire. Time to move on. Towards the end it became a bit too formularistic and predictable, so the writers were probably getting bored and running out of inspiration, as well. Thanks for the series, it was great while it lasted.jap.gif

I enjoyed it for 4 years and then could get no more shows for a while and forgot about it. Later, I tried to watch it a few times and had just lost interest. It was great for a while though and I had no idea that Hugh was a Limey until someone pointed him out in a Black Adder episode.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I enjoyed it for 4 years and then could get no more shows for a while and forgot about it. Later, I tried to watch it a few times and had just lost interest. It was great for a while though and I had no idea that Hugh was a Limey until someone pointed him out in a Black Adder episode.

Really, you never knew he was a Brit? I have always loved his work throughout the years and he is great as House, loved the character and show. I have the 1st 4 seasons on C.D but can't find the other seasons 5 to present. The 2 best shows to ever come out of the U.S are House and Deadwood.

Never liked House. Couldn't watch more than a few minutes at a time. Shame, as I think Hugh Laurie is brilliant and gifted.

But then, I prefer shows like Big Bang Theory, Red Dwarf, as I can relate.

(And yes I enjoyed Keeping Up Appearances, but certainly did not relate to Mrs. Bucket.) :P

The 2 best shows to ever come out of the U.S are House and Deadwood.

Deadwood...also starring another British actor..!!!!

I like House. I also like The Mentalist. I think the star is also an English person. They're both good actors.

Not sure why Google doesn't think so. Type 'define an english person' into google and see what I mean.

Edited by rijb

The Sopranos is really good. Breaking Bad. The Wire (another excellent British actor in this). There are lots of them.

Another good one with a British actor who is spot on as an American is Sons of Anarchy.

Soprano's was good, but as with most of these series run out of new plot idea's or start getting very bizzare plot lines

I also like The Mentalist. I think the star is also an English person.

Who got his break in the US in one of my favourite films...Pulp Fiction...

Simon Baker (born 30 July 1969) is an Australian actor and director.

This is world news?

The show has a woldwide audience and has a cast of british, Australian, Canadian, Indian and American actors. The term news does not just refer to Politics, war and terrorism it covers a wide range of subjects.

Woospie I am gettng this guy and Tim Roth mixed up, (who was in 'Lie to Me" and got his start in Reservior dogs and Pulp fiction)

Woospie I am gettng this guy and Tim Roth mixed up, (who was in 'Lie to Me" and got his start in Reservior dogs and Pulp fiction)

They are both guys, easy mistake could happen to anyone.

• Like 1

This is world news?

Sure beats the h*ll out of talking about our man in Dubai, his sister and various associated minnions, Sin Sot or do you think she is ripping me off...LOL

agree it is a refreshing change

Edited by chooka

This is world news?

The show has a woldwide audience and has a cast of british, Australian, Canadian, Indian and American actors. The term news does not just refer to Politics, war and terrorism it covers a wide range of subjects.

Fair enough,just thought it was stretching the term `news` a bit.

I have a good friend who thinks that watching E!News is actually the only news you need to watch.

Let me guess a Woman???

Actually, SG, no it's a guy. But to his defense, he's getting a Masters in Media (Something) and is doing his Thesis on some things that has to do with movies, actors etc.

I have a good friend who thinks that watching E!News is actually the only news you need to watch.

Let me guess a Woman???

Actually, SG, no it's a guy. But to his defense, he's getting a Masters in Media (Something) and is doing his Thesis on some things that has to do with movies, actors etc.

Scott = Credo?

No, but the original post was deleted for technical reason and I replaced it, but can't write a post under another persons name.

Sorry for the confusion. I should have (and usually do) explain the reason.

Which one? Timothy Olyphant is American.

Which one? Timothy Olyphant is American.

Ian McShane