Ex-Con, Friend Confess To Attack On Chinese Tourist

Lite Beer

Keep in mind too that there is nothing in this story to indicate the 20 attacks occurred to foreign tourists. In fact it is probably unlikely they were targeting "foreign" tourists based on this story as this was a Chinese women which would be difficult enough to tell from a motorbike but since there are plenty of Thai-Chinese ....

You are mistaken, their gang of 3 had been attacking tourists for 2 months.

From the OP.

"Natthapong confessed that he, his girlfriend and another friend had robbed and attacked tourists walking alone about 20 times in the past two months to get money to buy drugs and go out clubbing."

Edited by z12

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least China seems to take an interest on behalf of their citizens. Good luck with trying to get the US Embassy to help out...

Do you really think the Chinese Embassy gives a rat's a@@ about this incident? They simply used it as an opportunity to apply pressure on Thailand for something else they want which likely has to do with some kind of trade issue.

Chinese tourists are killed and robbed all over the world often but it doesn't result in this kind of warning especially when it is a city like this that doesn't even come close to having the kind of violence you will see in other cities in the world.

I would bet no travel advisorys were issued related to any of the below....

30 Chinese tourists robbed in South Africa

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/china/2011-11/08/c_131235502.htm

13 Chinese sailors murdered Myanmar / Thailand

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46164812/ns/world_news-asia_pacific/#.TznGqbHOV2B

Eight Chinese tourists killed in Philippine bus hijacking

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20100824/world-news/eight-chinese-tourists-killed-in-philippine-bus-hijacking.323783

Around 25 Chinese tourists have been robbed in Amsterdam over the past few months

http://www.chinaherald.net/2009/01/chinese-tourists-robbed-in-amsterdam.html

10 Chinese tourists allege robbery in Pattaya-bound Taxi

http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/36518/chinese-tourists-allege-robbery-in-pattaya-bound-taxi/

A Chinese tourist had his hand cut-off during an attack on Beqa island in the south of Fiji last Sunday.

http://www.rnzi.com/pages/news.php?op=read&id=66116

Chinese Tourist Robbed While Sleeping in his Car in Saipan

http://stayingsafeabroad.blogspot.com/2012/01/chinese-tourist-robbed-while-sleeping.html

Chinese tourist 'raped' in Morocco after using travel internet site

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1205794/Rape-horror-tourist-used-couchsurfing-website-aimed-travellers.html

Keep in mind too that there is nothing in this story to indicate the 20 attacks occurred to foreign tourists. In fact it is probably unlikely they were targeting "foreign" tourists based on this story as this was a Chinese women which would be difficult enough to tell from a motorbike but since there are plenty of Thai-Chinese ....

From the OP.

"Natthapong confessed that he, his girlfriend and another friend had robbed and attacked tourists walking alone about 20 times in the past two months to get money to buy drugs and go out clubbing."

You appear to have not read my post but instead chose to selectively respond to a portion of it nor have you picked up on the underlined word FOREIGN tourist. Again there is no indication the 20 were FOREIGN tourists and actually good reason to believe most were not as I explained in the previous post you are partially quoting.

In case you are still missing the mark here ... tourist from all over Thailand visit Chaing Mai in what I would guess are significantly higher numbers than foreigners.

From the OP.

You appear to have not read my post but instead chose to selectively respond to a portion of it nor have you picked up on the underlined word FOREIGN tourist. Again there is no indication the 20 were FOREIGN tourists and actually good reason to believe most were not as I explained in the previous post you are partially quoting.

In case you are still missing the mark here ... tourist from all over Thailand visit Chaing Mai in what I would guess are significantly higher numbers than foreigners.

That is a bit of a leap. It is highly doubtful they would be targeting Thai tourists "to get money to buy drugs and go out clubbing."

Edited by z12

From the OP.

Wow, I don't think it matters whether they are foreign or domestic tourists; if a gang operated with impunity for so long then the fault lies with the authorities for being apathetic.

If a place is unsafe for "tourists" whether homegrown or from other places then I see nothing wrong with a government making sure their citizens avoid this destination. To do otherwise would be wrong.

The term "som nam na" comes to mind.

From the OP.

Actually just before this appeared in the news my wife read the local thai newspaper up here in Chiang Mai, and said it reported that on the same day only hours apart a women from Denmark and another from Australia were attacked by a male and female on a motor-cycle while walking alone in the same area and were robbed at knife point. This was only reported in the local Thai paper. Good chance they are related.

Perhaps one of the Thai TV members could find a reference to this.

From the OP.

That is a bit of a leap. It is highly doubtful they would be targeting Thai tourists "to get money to buy drugs and go out clubbing."

Really? How do you suggest they knew this was a Chinese tourist as they approached and attacked her from a motorbike? Maybe before clubbing here on the head they first asked her for her ID or checked her abilities to speak Thai.

Edited by Nisa

Thai society is in a downward spiral that is going to destroy the fabric of this country. Take into account the political, the lack of good leadership, economic problems, the drug problems, flooding, the sensless killing, and problems in the education ssystem and prison system, the outlook is not good.

I'm glad other countries are putting out travel warnings. To the traveler, these conditions are not apparent, but to all those who love and live here, the problems are very real.

Needs more countries to issue warnings , Not just USA and China. Let Thailand know, you are not going to hide news of violence in your country and we will warn our citizens against going to particular locations in Thailand. UK, FCO and Consulate in Bangkok take note

Edited by KKvampire

From the OP.

Wow, I don't think it matters whether they are foreign or domestic tourists; if a gang operated with impunity for so long then the fault lies with the authorities for being apathetic.

If a place is unsafe for "tourists" whether homegrown or from other places then I see nothing wrong with a government making sure their citizens avoid this destination. To do otherwise would be wrong.

The term "som nam na" comes to mind.

Yes two months is a long time to get away with robberies. I know in the US (where nearly 1/2 of murders go unsolved) they have these serial criminals including robbers, murderers and rapists caught long before 2-months. Clearly Thailand, which has one of the highest incarceration rates in the world, has police force who largely don't arrest people or investigate crimes. Clearly the very high number of arrests throughout Thailand are due to Chinese pressure.

From the OP.

Really? How do you suggest they knew this was a Chinese tourist as they approached and attacked her from a motorbike? Maybe before clubbing here on the head they first ask her to speak to verify she was not Thai-Chinese.

20 successful attacks would mean they had been able to determine the difference quite well, probably from studying the area and the tourists. There is more than just visual and voice indicators that you are a foreign tourists. And since they wanted big baht for drugs and clubbing, they would want to make sure they picked a tourist most likely to be carrying big baht. Do you see any Thai citizen tourists "walking alone" from OP?

Edited by z12

Thai society is in a downward spiral that is going to destroy the fabric of this country. Take into account the political, the lack of good leadership, economic problems, the drug problems, flooding, the sensless killing, and problems in the education ssystem and prison system, the outlook is not good.

I'm glad other countries are putting out travel warnings. To the traveler, these conditions are not apparent, but to all those who love and live here, the problems are very real.

Needs more countries to issue warnings , Not just USA and China. Let Thailand know, you are not going to hide news of violence in your country and we will warn our citizens against going to particular locations in Thailand. UK, FCO and Consulate in Bangkok take note

If you want tourist advisories to become meaningless then yes every country should issue one each time crimes occur in areas tourist visit. Because had China not issued their advisory then certainly Thai authorities would not have been able to go back in time and install a video camera, that led to the arrest.

Anyone who thinks the arrest had to do with China's warning needs to take off their doom and gloom Thailand glasses. How often does Thailand cave to the pressure of other countries, regardless of their power, in such situations? Anybody see an end to the Jet Ski rental scams in Pattaya that has been going on for many many years while also being reported globally numerous times in just about every media form?

Edited by Nisa

Really? How do you suggest they knew this was a Chinese tourist as they approached and attacked her from a motorbike? Maybe before clubbing here on the head they first ask her to speak to verify she was not Thai-Chinese.

20 successful attacks would mean they had been able to determine the difference quite well, probably from studying the area and the tourists. There is more than just visual and voice indicators that you are a foreign tourists. And since they wanted big baht for drugs and clubbing, they would want to make sure they picked a tourist most likely to be carrying big baht. Do you see any Thai citizen tourists "walking alone" from OP?

My point exactly. The likely didn't know this was a tourist from China or any other foreign tourist. You are assuming they were all foreign tourists with no proof of such and given what we know from this OP, it would indicate they were not specifically targeting foreign tourists. I also believe you are giving drug addicts too much credit in being able to identify a Chinese Tourist from that of a Thai-Chinese tourist from out of the area ... this is something that would be difficult, if not impossible, for a non-doped-up and knowledgeable person to do.

This type of crime is near impossible to solve quickly, in any country, unless they police get a lucky break ... such as video of one of the suspect and even then they often need to turn to the press to determine who the suspect is. These types of crimes are random, happen fast, are done in different locations and times, where the criminal has easy and fast means of escape and there is usually nothing left behind from the suspect to provide clues of his/her identity.

I'm a bit confused as to the walking alone comment. Are you suggesting that foreign tourists are more likely to walk alone than a Thai tourist?

Edited by Nisa

From the OP.

Why is it taboo to go out clubbing and drugging with money stolen from a Thai? I'm sure they were targeting what appeared to be easy marks and those who looked like they had money.

My point exactly. The likely didn't know this was a tourist from China or any other foreign tourist. You are assuming they were all foreign tourists with no proof of such and given what we know from this OP, it would indicate they were not specifically targeting foreign tourists. I also believe you are giving drug addicts too much credit in being able to identify a Chinese Tourist from that of a Thai-Chinese tourist from out of the area ... this is something that would be difficult, if not impossible, for a non-doped-up and knowledgeable person to do.

This type of crime is near impossible to solve quickly, in any country, unless they police get a lucky break ... such as video of one of the suspect and even then they often need to turn to the press to determine who the suspect is. These types of crimes are random, happen fast, are done in different locations and times, where the criminal has easy and fast means of escape and there is usually nothing left behind from the suspect to provide clues of his/her identity.

I'm a bit confused as to the walking alone comment. Are you suggesting that foreign tourists are more likely to walk alone than a Thai tourist?

There is no proof they were not foreign tourists, and the OP alludes they were.

The OP says they targetted tourists walking alone, do thia tourists walk alone?

Edited by z12

I am not sure where it alludes they were all foreign. Can you point this out to me?

Again, I am very confused as to what appears to be your belief that Thai tourists don't walk alone but foreign tourists do.

I have no idea if they were all foreign tourists but given what I have read it would appear they were not selectively targeting foreign tourists and there really would be little reason to do such. There are plenty of Thai tourists, who carry somewhat large money amounts on this person, and they simply would be looking for easy marks who such as this women, who would not be able to be identified as being from China based on this report, walking alone. But lets suppose she had a sign on that specified her country of origin ... do you believe they would have left her alone if she was Thai-Chinese?

Edited by Nisa

I am not sure where it alludes they were all foreign. Can you point this out to me?

Again, I am very confused as to what appears to be your belief that Thai tourists don't walk alone but foreign tourists do.

I have no idea if they were all foreign tourists but given what I have read it would appear they were not selectively targeting foreign tourists and there really would be little reason to do such. There are plenty of Thai tourists, who carry somewhat large money amounts on this person, and they simply would be looking for easy marks who such as this women, who would not be able to be identified as being from China based on this report, walking alone. But lets suppose she had a sign on that specified her country of origin ... do you believe they would have left her alone if she was Thai-Chinese?

Yes, they most probably would have left her alone. Their intent was to target foreign tourists walking alone and apparently quite good at it.

Do any domestic thai tourist walk alone?

Edited by z12

Yes, they most probably would have left her alone. Their intent was to target foreign tourists walking alone and apparently quite good at it.

We are all entitled to live in our own reality.

We are all entitled to live in our own reality.

google 'chinese tourist chang mai gang of friends to assault foreign tourists'

Edited by z12

[snip]

I think you underestimate how easy it actually is to spot a foreigner vs local even if of the same or similar ethnicity. Give me five minutes around people, listening to them speak and so forth, and I can tell you which are foreign and which are Thai, and I suspect criminals who get paid, in part, to be able to do this well, do it quite well.

Also, it's always rather easy to spot a Thai Chinese. Just look for the person with an ego larger than life, very carefully blocking any sun from his or face, and who has a demeanor which might suggest he or she has grown up in a society where he or she is worshiped for his or her pearl white skin.

Works for me every time, and I know overseas Chinese from all over the world. Various parts of Europe, HK, Singapore, US, etc.

As for Thais walking alone while being tourists, its commonly known among people who live in Thailand (esp foreigners who are often better able to think about these things) that Thais (like many other Asians, but perhaps to a stronger degree) don't really like doing many things alone. Thais are a very strong collectivist people, and I would find it (as most Thais would) uncommon and surprising to see many Thai tourists travelling anywhere alone while on vacation. It is just not likely to happen much.

• Like 1

I think what the warning says, is, rob and beat each other and other nationalities up as much as you want to but leave our people (Chinese) alone or you will loose tourist numbers and revenue, we'll see to it that happens. Thailand is sensibly taking notice it seems.

I actually think this s pretty accurate. Remember the Aug. 2010 Manila hostage crisis. Hong Kong put out a black travel warning on the whole country, and 18 months later has not lifted it even though the chances of another similar situation is almost zero. China would be just as happy to do that with Thailand.

With regard to mainland Chinese tourists. Oh boy, are you guys welcome to them! Enough said.

• 2 months later...

I can say this has already had an effect on China.

Me and my Chinese GF are planning to come to Thailand next month. All my GF's friends, and family are sayng

"WHAT YOUR GOING TO THAILAND?! THAILAND PEOPLE ARE BEATING CHINESE ALL OVER THE PLACE! MAYBE THAILAND SOON HAVE FIGHT WITH CHINA"

My gf was telling me this , and I had no clue what she was talking about. But apparently the news here(In China) has been buzzing about the dangers of Thailand.