At least 12 wounded in Lebanon clashes

News_Editor

At least 12 wounded in Lebanon clashes

2012-02-13 07:23:24 GMT+7 (ICT)

BEIRUT (BNO NEWS) -- At least 12 people, including several Lebanese soldiers, were wounded this weekend in renewed clashes in northern Lebanon, local media reported on Sunday.

Clashes erupted on Friday afternoon between the pre-dominantly Alawite neighborhood of Jabal Mohsen and the mainly Sunni district of Bab al-Tabbaneh in the northern coastal city of Tripoli. Security sources said that at least six soldiers and six civilians have been wounded since Friday.

Three people, including two Lebanese soldiers, were wounded on Saturday. In a statement, the army said one soldier was in critical condition, according to the Daily Star newspaper.

Security sources told the newspaper that the Lebanese Army has been ordered to carry out patrols, both on foot and in military vehicles, and arrest anyone found to be carrying weapons. The army said in the statement that a number of armed men have been arrested, while large quantities of arms and ammunition have been confiscated.

Prime Minister Najib Mikati said he had confidence that the army would resolve the matter, adding that he is in contact with army officials. "The Lebanese Army, its abilities and leadership we have faith in, is fulfilling its role ... I am certain that the situation will be under control and the army will restore order," Mikati, who is ending his official trip to France, told journalists in Paris.

Clashes broke out on Friday after midday prayers when 700 people marched from a mosque in Tripoli and demonstrated in the city center against the Syrian government. According to reports, rocket-propelled grenades were used during the clashes.

The ongoing clashes have raise fresh concerns about unrest spilling over into Lebanon as violence and turmoil continue to destabilize Syria. Thousands of Syrian nationals have been seeking refuge across the border in Lebanon due to the escalating political and human rights crisis in Syria.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-02-13

Is there any part of the Middle East without major problems?

They need a new religion over there. The one they keep shouting about is worn out and archaic. Or, how about growing out of deism altogether and embracing the infinate fascination of science and nature? Naw, won't happen. It's easier to go back to the Kalishmikovs and IED's, obsessing over bodily fluids (read Kohemeini to see what I mean), ......and destroying womens' lives.

"Wag the Dog". It takes some media attention off of Syria and the Iranian bomb making mess.

Wouldn't think so. More likely to be seen as part of what's going on rather than a spin. There's a pretty large Alawi minority in Lebanon, and this is practically next door. It was just a question of when trouble will start there as well.

If the rebels (which are mostly Sunni) win this conflict, guess quite a few of the Alawi will make a run for it (with or without good cause). Most likely destinations are Lebanon and Turkey.

They need a new religion over there. The one they keep shouting about is worn out and archaic. Or, how about growing out of deism altogether and embracing the infinate fascination of science and nature? Naw, won't happen. It's easier to go back to the Kalishmikovs and IED's, obsessing over bodily fluids (read Kohemeini to see what I mean), ......and destroying womens' lives.

A bit off topic, but here goes:

I think every religion goes through a certain process of maturation, growing milder and more pragmatic as time passes. Christianity went through this as well, and relatively speaking, Islam is a young religion. Not a very hopeful point of view for the short term, though.

Edited by Morch

A bit off topic, but here goes:

I think every religion goes through a certain process of maturation, growing milder and more pragmatic as time passes. Christianity went through this as well, and relatively speaking, Islam is a young religion. Not a very hopeful point of view for the short term, though.

Interesting theory, one to which I would subscribe. Given that the Spanish inquisition started in 1480 and lasted some 350 years. Mohammad died in 632 some 1380 years ago. Now given an equal speed of development to Christianity Islam will reach it's own Spanish inquisition type phase in another 100 years, so given a similar span for an inquisition phase we should have peace in some 500 years or so.