Bangkok Bombers 'Targeted Israeli Diplomats'

webfact

Bangkok bombers 'targeted Israeli diplomats'

by Boonradom Chitradon

BANGKOK, February 15, 2012 (AFP) - Iranian suspects behind a failed attack in Bangkok aimed to assassinate Israeli diplomats, a Thai official said Wednesday, in the third bomb plot to shake world capitals this week.

The explosions in Bangkok on Tuesday came a day after bombers targeted Israeli embassy staff in India and Georgia, with a female diplomat seriously wounded in New Delhi, in attacks Israel said were orchestrated by Iran.

One of the Iranian suspects -- named as 28-year-old Saeid Morati -- had his legs blown off as he hurled an explosive device at Thai police while fleeing an earlier blast at a house in Bangkok on Tuesday, officials said.

"These three Iranian men are an assassination team and their targets were Israeli diplomats including the ambassador," a senior Thai intelligence official told AFP, speaking on condition of anonymity.

"Their plan was to attach bombs to diplomats' cars."

Iran, which has already denied responsibility for the Delhi and Tbilisi incidents, said it had no link to the Bangkok blasts and blamed what it called "elements linked with the (Israeli) Zionist regime".

Foreign ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast "rejected the accusations by the Zionist regime of implication (of Iran) and accused that regime of trying to harm the friendly and historic relations between Iran and Thailand," according to the Iranian state television website.

Thai bomb squad experts were called out to the Sukhumvit Road area in the east of the city in response to an apparently unintended blast at a house rented by an Iranian, after which three men were seen fleeing, authorities said.

One of the men hurled an explosive device at a taxi, which refused to stop, and then tried to throw another at police, triggering a blast at the side of a busy road which tore off his legs, they said.

Authorities detained a second Iranian man trying to board a flight out of the country while the third suspect is believed to have fled to Malaysia.

Explosives and magnets were later found inside the partially destroyed house, police said.

Individuals appeared to be the target of the botched plot as the devices were not powerful enough to cause large-scale damage, said Thailand's National Security Council chief Wichean Potephosree.

"Yesterday's incident was caused by current international tensions in world politics," he told a news conference.

"It's happening not only in Thailand but also elsewhere. Thailand's weak point is that we are an open country to help our economy so I urge all Thais to be vigilant and inform the authorities if they see anything suspicious."

Bangkok has been on the watch for a terror attack since police last month charged a Lebanese man suspected of planning a strike, following a US warning that tourist areas might be targeted.

Thai authorities alleged the Lebanese man had links to Hezbollah, an Iranian- and Syrian-backed Muslim Shiite group that is blacklisted as a terrorist organisation by Washington.

Israel was quick to accuse Iran of involvement in Tuesday's blasts in Bangkok.

"The attempted attack in Bangkok proves once again that Iran and its proxies are continuing to act in the ways of terror and the latest attacks are an example of that," Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak said.

The blast in New Delhi blew up a car, critically wounding the Israeli diplomat and her Indian driver.

In Tbilisi, an Israeli embassy employee found a bomb on his car and contacted police who were able to defuse the device before it detonated, according to Georgia's interior ministry.

Thai police said they had found no direct link between Tuesday's bombings and the earlier threat but had received a separate warning from intelligence sources about a potential new attack.

The United States condemned the Bangkok blasts and voiced concern about a worldwide "uptick" in such violence, including some with alleged links to Iran.

"We're concerned about it. Some of these (attacks) have been linked to Iran," State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said.

The Bangkok blasts are another blow to the kingdom's tourist-friendly image, which was badly dented last year by devastating flooding across much of the country, as well as rounds of rival political protests in recent years.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-02-15

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reports said he used M26 Grenade's but after looking online the only people who use these are ... ?

USA / Canada / UK / Aus / Portugal / South Africa / South Vietnam .. Plus The M26 was adopted in Israel, and is still in use in that country. Its variant is named the M26A2, but it has no relationship with the American-made M26A2.

Source http://en.wikipedia....iki/M26_grenade

Edited by nicky1982
  • Like 1

Who gave them the information that they were planning to target Israeli diplomats, one guy is in hospital unable to speak, the second was caught and maybe not speaking yet, the third is still at large, or is this a presumption on someones part.

Bangkok blasts bear hallmark of similar attacks in India, Georgia

image_201202151215377F6FF1A5-DE3E-1AA2-B6036CC81BADD5C7.jpg

BANGKOK, Feb 15 - A senior Thai security official said on Wednesday that the bomb-making materials used in three Bangkok blasts bear the hallmark of similar attacks targeting Israeli diplomats in India and Georgia.

On Monday, an Israeli diplomat's wife and driver were wounded in New Delhi when a bomb attached to their minivan exploded, and another device was defused on an Israeli embassy car in Tbilisi, Georgia.

Speaking at a news conference after a one-hour meeting of the National Security Council (NSC), Secretary-General Wichean Potephosree said preliminary investigation indicated that the blasts were targeting individuals. Although the investigation found no link with terrorism, further investigation is needed.

Gen Wichean said the bombs being assembled here using magnets resembled the bombs targeting Israeli diplomats in India and Georgia.

Despite Israel accusing Iran of being behind the violence, the NSC chief said more investigation will be carried out to verify such a claim.

Iran denied responsibility for the India attack and the foiled bombing of an Israeli diplomatic mission car in the Georgian capital on Monday.

Meanwhile, Deputy Police Chief Pol Gen Pansiri Prapawat said more evidence is being collected to seek an arrest warrant against the third suspect believed to have fled the country, possibly into Malaysia.

The three suspects, all men, were reported to have fled a rented house in Soi Pridi Banomyong 31 off Sukhumvit 71 Road where the first bomb exploded, blowing the roof off the building.

An Iranian national identified as Saeid Moradi was seriously injured by his own hand grenade when confronted by police officers in a squad car. He hurled the grenade at them, but it bounced back from the vehicle. The explosion tore off his legs.

The second bombing suspect, an Iranian identified as Mohammad Hazaei, was taken into custody at Suvarnabhumi Airport while attempting to board a plane to Malaysia, and has been transferred by police for further questioning at Khlong Tan station. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-02-15

Iran denies link with Bangkok blasts, accuses Israel

TEHRAN, February 15, 2012 (AFP) - Iran denied any link with explosions in Bangkok and accused "elements linked with the (Israeli) Zionist regime" of being responsible, state TV said on its website Wednesday.

Foreign ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast rejected "the accusations by the Zionist regime of implication (of Iran)", accusing Israel of "trying to harm the friendly and historic relations between Iran and Thailand."

"The Islamic Republic of Iran believes that elements of the Zionist regime are responsible for this crime and is prepared to help and cooperate with the Thai government to shed all light on these events," he added.

Mehmanparast noted that Israel's accusation followed US allegations last October of a Tehran-hatched plot to assassinate the Saudi ambassador to Washington, and Israeli claims Tehran was behind bomb attempts against Israeli diplomats in India and Georgia on Monday.

He termed both those other accusations "baseless".

Thai authorities were holding two Iranians in connection with a series of explosions in Bangkok on Tuesday.

One of the men, named as 28-year-old Saeid Morati according to a passport found in his possession, lost both his legs when he tried to hurl an explosive device at Thai police while fleeing an earlier blast at a house in Bangkok.

The other Iranian was detained as he tried to board a flight out of Thailand.

A third suspect was believed to have fled to Malaysia.

Israel saw the detention of the Iranian nationals as proof the Iranian government was involved.

"The attempted attack in Bangkok proves once again that Iran and its proxies are continuing to act in the ways of terror and the latest attacks are an example of that," Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak said.

Israel blamed Iran for an attempt on an Israeli diplomat in New Delhi, who was critically wounded along with her Indian driver when a motorbike assailant attached a bomb to her car on Monday. It also said a thwarted, similar attempt to blow up an Israeli diplomatic vehicle in Georgia had Iran's fingerprints on it.

Iran denied any connection to those attacks.

Observers, however, noted that the use of motorbike assassins to blow up targets' cars closely mirrored the method used to murder nuclear scientists in Iran in the past two years, raising the possibility of Iranian payback and a vicious covert war between the Middle East foes.

A senior Thai intelligence official told AFP on condition of anonymity that the three Iranian suspects linked to the Bangkok blasts were "an assassination team and their targets were Israeli diplomats including the ambassador."

He added: "Their plan was to attach bombs to diplomats' cars."

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-02-15

Reports said the suspect bomber was also carrying 8,500THB and $2,800 in cash; and a large amount of cash in Iranian currency but they did not say how much something doesn't sound right to me why only bring two up and why not all three something fishy here going on ...

Edited by nicky1982

A senior Thai intelligence official told AFP on condition of anonymity that the three Iranian suspects linked to the Bangkok blasts were "an assassination team and their targets were Israeli diplomats including the ambassador."

Good to know that some intelligence DOES exist in Thai intelligence. coffee1.gif
  • Like 2

Good to know that some intelligence DOES exist in Thai intelligence. coffee1.gif

Perhaps the Thai's should just stop making statements. At least the American warnings are credible.

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 2

Also there was a third suspect who wasn't caught ??? Sorry people just trying to connect the dots.. Who not to say the third suspect was a undercover intelligence officer that's why there was a huge argument at the house then a bomb went off then other two fled one went to the airport and other person try to do a runner but ended up blowing himself up ...

... as much as I want to rely upon local authorities to "get it right," I simply cannot bring myself to trust anything issued by a Royal Thai Anything anymore ... by their gross mishandling of the Lebanese-Hesbollah incident last month, Thai authorities proved themselves incapable of doing anything other than deny, mislead and blabber inanely.

... so, awaiting for international authorities to weigh-in ... I consider any intel originated by Thai authorities as simple-minded speculation ... or ... worse.

And if it was agents from the Mossad trying to discredit Iran ? I know it sounds silly ... but in this story nothing is really clear ! Maybe the Iranians did it in Thailand because its an easy country to get explosive due to the south Muslim issue. anyway I agree Thailand is not a play ground for those people ..

Who gave them the information that they were planning to target Israeli diplomats, one guy is in hospital unable to speak

So you went to the hospital and visited him and verified he is unable to speak?

He was operated on to remove his other leg if you read the story, therefore I do not think he is capable of speaking because of the drugs used to sedate him and for the pain relief.

Reports said he used M26 Grenade's but after looking online the only people who use these are ... ?

USA / Canada / UK / Aus / Portugal / South Africa / South Vietnam .. Plus The M26 was adopted in Israel, and is still in use in that country. Its variant is named the M26A2, but it has no relationship with the American-made M26A2.

It's hardly rocket science.

Chances of these grenades being brought into Thailand by these Iranians on a commercial flight- slim to none.

Shipped in by diplomats using diplomatic pouch- possible (don't forget who was Imperial Iran's main arms supplier and provided lots of hardware to Khomeini during IranContra)

Bought locally - almost entirely plausible (Thailand heaves with Vietnam era US hardware, from tanks to grenades). Run a search on m26 grenade Thailand and you will see they are the grenade of choice for local hoodlums.

Sorry to scotch the conspiracy theory.

Reports said the suspect bomber was also carrying 8,500THB and $2,800 in cash; and a large amount of cash in Iranian currency but they did not say how much something doesn't sound right to me why only bring two up and why not all three something fishy here going on ...

if I gave you 100,000 Iranian rials would you know what it was worth?

All cops here can recognize and value $ & Bt, rials not so obvious.

What does Israel expect when Iran's nuclear scientists are mysteriously blown up?

I think that is a fair question. However, if Iran wants to attack Israel they should attack Israel, not mess with countries like India, Georgia, and Thailand.

Correct, they need to take their fight elsewhere.

How about not fighting at all? coffee1.gif

It's hardly rocket science.

Chances of these grenades being brought into Thailand by these Iranians on a commercial flight- slim to none.

Shipped in by diplomats using diplomatic pouch- possible (don't forget who was Imperial Iran's main arms supplier and provided lots of hardware to Khomeini during IranContra)

Bought locally - almost entirely plausible (Thailand heaves with Vietnam era US hardware, from tanks to grenades). Run a search on m26 grenade Thailand and you will see they are the grenade of choice for local hoodlums.

Sorry to scotch the conspiracy theory.

Yea fully understand and you are correct about that i did look ,, I seen loads of stuff come up about pad and other things ..

if I gave you 100,000 Iranian rials would you know what it was worth?

All cops here can recognize and value $ & Bt, rials not so obvious.

Works out about $9000 OR 270.000THB

Nicky1982

Whoops; looks like you made the mistake the cops were keen to avoid!

I will take $9000 any day off you in exchange for 100,000 rials as they are actually worth just over $8. There is a 100,000 rial note.

You must be an ex-employee of Lehman Brothers.

Nicky1982

I will take $9000 any day off you in exchange for 100,000 rials as they are actually worth just over $8. There is a 100,000 rial note.

I was being kind lol lol poor man lost his legs ROFL ... I did use xe.com for the exchange rate ..

post-132209-0-52845200-1329290672_thumb.

Edited by nicky1982

Nicky1982

I was being kind lol lol poor man lost his legs ROFL ... I did use xe.com for the exchange rate ..

A career in investment banking beckons. You could lose much more than just your legs on trades like yours.

Edited by folium

Nicky1982

A career in investment banking beckons. You could lose much more than just your legs on trades like yours.

Not use to changing money these days thank god or i would be screwed lol lol ... I'm a blonde what more can i say ... wai.gif

A question.....

If this is indeed payback for multiple assassinations of civilian scientists in Iran, is it not logical and fair?

There has been no escalation, merely a tit for a tat.

The attacks on Israeli diplomats have used the exact same technique as used in Iran. They have been less successful so far.

Lack of practice?