Did You Invest In Teak?

Growing Teak..... Prices

Found these prices on a Costa Rica Plantation.

How do the prices compare with Thailand?

These are 6 yrs old, 8" in diameter & 50' tall.

100 - 400 trees

Price per 100 trees $6,358

500 - 900 trees

Price per 100 trees $5,246

:o

Growing Teak..... Prices

100 - 400 trees

Price per 100 trees  $6,358

500 - 900 trees    

Price per 100 trees  $5,246

not that easy babe .. seem when u guys re growing teak.. it just so-called belong to u

depend on the Royal Forest Department

i check info again

its reserved wood

i might be wrong

Edited by BambinA

I think you might be right, reserved wood.

We have four mature teak trees on our land, discussions regarding the removal of trees, soon came to the Teak trees. The Advice we had was we cannot just remove them, we need permission, who from we do not know.

However, the contractors who looked at the job, all became visibly excited at the sight of the teak trees, and offered to remove all the timber on the land, including the teak... nice of them I am sure.

However, with prices the way they are, the regulation might be reconsidered. There's a lot of unused land that could be put into Teak production.

To sell teak, you need to register them with the Royal Forest Department first, so really it only applies to tree's that you have cultivate yourself, unless you have happened to buy a plot with them growing on and they have already been registered. As has been inplied here there is a strong black market for them though especially older mature trees.

Basicaly the price rises exponentialy to the diamiter of the tree, the bigger they are the more you will get for them. They usually plant at about 3 meter spacing and then take the first cut at around 10 years, taking out every other tree, to leave room for the rest to grow. These 'smaller" trees usually go to the furniture making industry for making teak veneere. There is a real lack of large tree for furinture making.

Sorry dont know what the current prices are. I've no idea how they can get a 6 year old tree to 8 inch diameter and 50 foot tall are you sure thats for teak as here a 6 year old tree you would be lucky to get 4 inches and about 3 meters useable wood.

RC

Growing Teak..... Prices

100 - 400 trees

500 - 900 trees    

I would say that these prices are high. We bought a tree for a corner post for our traditional northern style house and its about 14" in diameter at the base and I've been told that it would probably cost 2,000 to 3,000 baht to buy it (we paid 500 baht because of a relationship with the owner)....so if the estimate on the value is correct then a much larger tree here is about the same price as the smaller trees there....a 14" tree will have about 3 times as much wood as an 8" tree...ballpark estimate. Also, around here teak seems to grow about 1 inch per year...this is not fertilized or irrigated but growing in lowland areas in reasonably fertile soil. Also teak grows faster when it has more water but also produces a lower grade of teak both structurally and aesthetically....or so I've read.

Edited by chownah

Growing Teak..... Prices

100 - 400 trees

500 - 900 trees   

:D

I would say that these prices are high. We bought a tree for a corner post for our traditional northern style house and its about 14" in diameter at the base and I've been told that it would probably cost 2,000 to 3,000 baht to buy it (we paid 500 baht because of a relationship with the owner)....so if the estimate on the value is correct then a much larger tree here is about the same price as the smaller trees there....a 14" tree will have about 3 times as much wood as an 8" tree...ballpark estimate. Also, around here teak seems to grow about 1 inch per year...this is not fertilized or irrigated but growing in lowland areas in reasonably fertile soil. Also teak grows faster when it has more water but also produces a lower grade of teak both structurally and aesthetically....or so I've read.

Have you got your maths wrong there? 100-400 trees $ 6,358 so thats $63 dollars a tree not sure what the exchange rate is but say 40 bhat/$ works out to about 2500 bhat for an 8 inch tree, where as your 14 inch had a worth of 2-3,000 so the trees here are cheaper.

I still recon there is something wrong with an 8 inch dia 50 foot tree in 6 years, thats some growth rate......yes I know it's in Costa Rica

EDIT chownah....just re-read your post, mis read it the first time :o

Edited by RamdomChances

Note: as I pointed out in the OP, these are seller's prices in Costa Rica for anyone interested in investing in teak trees in the ground. :o

I don't understand this. Do you mean I can buy the trees now and harvest them later when they're bigger?...or do you mean I have to pay this price and then I have to go cut and haul them myself by some certain date?