This Ain'T Right, Is It?

We just bought an new house from Supalai and are almost ready to move in. I'm doing some DIY so my tools are already in the house and every eve I'm doing some small jobs. There was a problem with one of the water pipes, some leaking, so we asked Supalai to fix it. One evening I come to the new house and find they have been working on the problem (great), but they have been using my own tools. I'm not happy with it (they dont do a good job, so use your own stuff, sorry....), so I lock this particular door. Next day I come back and find they still they have been using my tools...... Weird, I locked the room, so somehow they gained access. Apparently they still have keys to various rooms in the house, even though the house has officially been transferred in to our name. Secondly, they gain access to a locked room, and thirdly without asking permission, use my private tools. I am pretty annoyed by this! And refuse to let it go by... It even sound like a illegal act to me. Any suggestions? Or just let it be.... this is amazing Thailand after all where respect for other people's properties does not exist?

Thanks for your thoughts

May be me asking the obvious.., but, have you asked them to please give you all the keys to your property, as you have noticed they have still been using your tools. And whilst on the subject of the tools, explain to them that you don't want them using your tools?

If you haven't done that, then why not? If you have, what was the response?

Just put it down to experience! What ever say will make no difference. However, I would certainly buy at least two new locks - secure your entrance and exits. It is too easy for copies of keys to be made, a robbery could occur at any time, take no chances!

Edited by A. BOOZER

May be me asking the obvious.., but, have you asked them to please give you all the keys to your property, as you have noticed they have still been using your tools. And whilst on the subject of the tools, explain to them that you don't want them using your tools?

If you haven't done that, then why not? If you have, what was the response?

As the house was transferred to us, we should have all the keys... They asked for the key of the front door to get in and work on the water leakage, as they did not have any keys... but apparently were quite able to get into one of the locked rooms (located on the top-floor whilst the leak is downstairs).

I did not tell them not to use my tools, as I never granted them the right to use it in the first place. I am under the assumption that it is common knowledge and decency not to touch other peoples belongings, especially when they are locked away. Why even browse through my house, check all the floors and rooms...? They have nothing to do there, none of their business.

I have not yet confronted them with this, I only discovered it 2 days ago, and have not found the time yet to go to their office and report it. I will not take a day off from work for this, but will do it this weekend. I am just curious how you feel about this (so your feedback is appreciated :) ).

Just put it down to experience! What ever say will make no difference. However, I would certainly buy at least two new locks - one for your entrance door and one for your 'store' room. It is too easy for copies of keys to be made, a robbery could occur at any time, take no chances!

Good advice!! Thanks, I will definitely do that.

Just put it down to experience! What ever say will make no difference. However, I would certainly buy at least two new locks - one for your entrance door and one for your 'store' room. It is too easy for copies of keys to be made, a robbery could occur at any time, take no chances!

Good advice!! Thanks, I will definitely do that.

Go down to the hardware store, buy new locks for EVERY door in the house.

I went through our house took out every lock, both entrances and every inside door ( a total of 12) and gave them to the wife's family. I took the keys supplied by the contractor and threw them into the cement as they were building our security wall.

I put in new locks, set of keys for the wife, one set for me and disposed of all the other copies.

Confronting them is useless, they'll just lie, or deny

Be proactive and you'll be more secure

Rural Thais are brought up in a culture where everything is shared, including living space and owned objects, so it would be natural for them to assume that it would be OK to use your tools. Since they were still (in their minds) building our house, they would think nothing of seeking out the missing tools that they had come to depend on. Since they clearly had the door keys and there was no-one living in the house, they would probably be concerned they they might be accused of being unwilling to proceed with the work if they hadn't made the effort to get the tools and finish the job.

You should, however, take the advice to change the locks. Even if the people who did the work for you are loyal and honest, they might know people who are not.

• Like 1

I went through our house took out every lock, both entrances and every inside door ( a total of 12) and gave them to the wife's family. I took the keys supplied by the contractor and threw them into the cement as they were building our security wall.

That's sounds pretty mean: Give the in-laws all the door locks, but throw the keys in cement. laugh.png

That's sounds pretty mean: Give the in-laws all the door locks, but throw the keys in cement. laugh.png

I thought the same, maybe they wear the locks on chains, sort of upcountry farmer bling...