Mae Sot,

OLDAUSSIE

I will be going to Mae Sot,

What is the best way to get there by public transport from BKK ?

Does any B.M. know of a decent hotel or G.H in Mae Sot, for around 500B a night.

Are there many foreigners living there?

What is there to do besides cross the border into Burma?

Thanks for any help you may be able to give.

Edited by OLDAUSSIE

Sorry not to sure about a bus No: (there's no train station in M/S) from BKK you can change at N/Sawan, K.P.Phet, or Tak. Up to you on that one. N/S is about 4+ hour's from BKK. K.P.Phet is about 5.5 hour's Tak is about 6.5+ the trip from Tak take's about 1.5 hour's + the waiting time between service's. So it's up to you if you fancy a short trip and stay overnight in afore mentioned place's. "All have cheap hotel's" or one long slog.

Right what is there to do there, The town is quite small you can walk round it in about an hour and a half. There are two market's one mainly food in the town and one at the bottom of the friend ship bridge that go's into Burma. Neither in my estimation is much to right home about. Plenty of shop's the normal Thai one's. Other than that without a car your buggered you will be down to using the local Tuk Tuk's. There are several good restaurant's there as well as the usual assortment's of stall's/Thai place's. Hotel's abound for around 500bt a night. Other peep's might be more clued up with name's and phone no: of same. Other than that the place is a one night stop over if that as far as I'm concerned. There are a few Farang's there mostly passing through. I don't know why you want to go there but unless you wan't to go for some real reason "Visa Run" I would give it a miss. All the above is just my opinion of course other's might like the place. But I cant for the love of me think why. Have a good trip.

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 2

There are a few farangs in MS mostly working for the NGO's. For cheap hotel/gh go to farang rest. valled Bai Fern. Beside them is a small hotel around 350bht. Good food at rest. as well. Lots of other hotels on outskirts but too far to walk around town.

• Like 1

There are buses departing at 0800/0830 and overnight from about 2100 from Morchit. These take about 8 hours to Mae Sot. New hotels and guest houses are opening all the time here, so you will have no problem finding somewhere to stay within your budget. Well worth a visit, do go on to visit Umphang if you have time.

Nok Air now have daily flights from/to Bangkok and Kan Air do from/to Chiang Mai 3 times a week. My preferred mode of transport these days.

There are buses departing at 0800/0830 and overnight from about 2100 from Morchit. These take about 8 hours to Mae Sot. New hotels and guest houses are opening all the time here, so you will have no problem finding somewhere to stay within your budget. Well worth a visit, do go on to visit Umphang if you have time.

Nok Air now have daily flights from/to Bangkok and Kan Air do from/to Chiang Mai 3 times a week. My preferred mode of transport these days.

I would just like to point out that a bus from C/M to M/S take's over 4 hour's. Edited by fredob43

I take the Greenbus Co. bus from Mae Sot to Chiang Mai about Once per month. Their service is twice daily. You are right fredob, it does take over 4 hours. In fact the usual time is 6 hours. Or maybe you know of an express bus service that I do not. If so, let me into your secret.

I take the Greenbus Co. bus from Mae Sot to Chiang Mai about Once per month. Their service is twice daily. You are right fredob, it does take over 4 hours. In fact the usual time is 6 hours. Or maybe you know of an express bus service that I do not. If so, let me into your secret.

Sorry No. I just worked it out on how long it take's in a car, I did it in well under 4 hour's so I just said over. Anyway it's still to far via plane. In hind sight it would more than likely take 4 hour's from C/M to Tak. Hope I didn't raise your hope's to much.

It is a small place and as Fred says the markets are not up to much. Here is an alternative for you, dont bother with the train it goes to N/S station which is about 8kms out of town, then shutes off at breakneck speed to Pitsanoluk, not KPP or Tak so the train is not the way to go.

Take a bus to KPP, there are apparently some nice places to stay there, Fred could help you.

Every day at 630, 730 and 830 am there is a small mini bus/van leaving N/S for Mae Sot it takes about 4 hours from N/S but you could get it at KPP do your run if thats what you are going for and get the mini bus/van back it leaves from the bus station at 1230, 1330 and 1430.

It seems a nice town but not much happening to entice you to stay more than a day and you would need someone local to help with accomodation.

• 4 months later...

does anybody know if it is possible to rent any kind of four-wheeled vehicle there ? something inexpensive, such as a Jeep (suzuki and the likes). or maybe a Tuk-Tuk with driver for a day as you can in Cambo (though rather unusual in Thailand).

otherwise will have to go via Phitlok and rent the 700-Baht Toyota Vios Manual from Avis at the airport there to take it all the way to Mae Sot.....

note: I definitely do NOT want a motorbike, so no need to suggest that, thanks

does anybody know if it is possible to rent any kind of four-wheeled vehicle there ? something inexpensive, such as a Jeep (suzuki and the likes). or maybe a Tuk-Tuk with driver for a day as you can in Cambo (though rather unusual in Thailand).

otherwise will have to go via Phitlok and rent the 700-Baht Toyota Vios Manual from Avis at the airport there to take it all the way to Mae Sot.....

note: I definitely do NOT want a motorbike, so no need to suggest that, thanks

I don't know about N/Sawan other's can help there, but K.P.Phet is a No No and I know you won't be able to get one in M/Sot. But you can get a Tuk Tuk/Bt bus to take you everyware you will have to negotiate price's of course. Tip there's not to much to see once you get a few KL outside M/Sot. When are you going and from where??? Edited by fredob43