Any Recommendation For Good Indian Food ?

james78

Royal India is my favorite too and inexpensive. Not a great atmosphere though. Also, the Kabab House right around the corner is in the same category and the family is related

There is also a new, (cleaner) place almost across from the Duangtawan hotel that is a little more expensive with smaller portions, but tasty.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Bollywood is the best in my opinion after eating at most of them in Chiang Mai, I used to like Royal India but filthy people, dirty place with stains on the tablecloth and it STINKS to high heaven and put you off your food before it even gets there, in fact I had to leave one time as the friend I took there started feeling ill because of the horrific smell .

God knows that the kitchen looks like and food hygiene

If they were cleaner and did something with the smell (I told the guy straight up its stinks and he should change his tablecloths to plastic covers which would be easier to keep clean but nothing changed except I never went back.

So Spicy Bollywood is the place for me very tasty decent portions and friday nights is a good deal all you can eat buffet for 200 baht. Its located just past the old Spicey behind where the Jack Daniels Van is near the living room bar.

DK

Edited by DiamondKing

This evening , found Royal india, but not feel to go inside. Outside the corner, saw 2 Indian place, Kabab house and one other,forget the name, was quite crowded. Tried vindaloo at kabab house, was not very spicy and nan bread they make on fry pan. They dnt have tandoor. But price was realy cheap. Will try other place.

Royal India used to be my favorite Indian restaurant in CM. Yes, the walls need painting and it would be nice if they printed new menus, but they bought new tables and chairs and replaced the tables. A coat of paint on everything would eliminate all the complaints about it being dirty. I've never seen the kitchen, but after 40+ meals there, I've never been sick. The vegetarian dishes are great. The meat dishes, not so much.

But my new favorite Indian restaurant is New Delhi, right around the corner on Ratwithi Road (the "other one" mentioned above). Ever since Ravi, the owner, replaced the chef with someone who knows how to cook, the food is great, especially the curries. The food used to be too sweet, but if you ask for spicy, they'll gladly do it right. Some of my favorite dishes are the Palak Paneer, Fish Jalfrezi, Chicken Madras, and Chicken Vindaloo. New Delhi is one of the few Indian restaurants that spices their dishes properly if you ask. I wish I could say the same for the rest. imho, Spicy Bollywood is by far the worst. No matter whether you ask for "authentically spicy", you won't get it. Sweet yes, spicy no.

If Ravi is there, he's a great host. He has owned restaurants all over Asia and he's happy to sit and chat about where he's been and why he loves CM.

edit: New Delhi is not cheap, but if you want quality food prepared the way you ask, you might have to pay a little more.

Edited by el jefe
  • Like 2

I tried New Delhi after several recomendations on this forum. For my taste, Royal India and Kebab House are a little better and less expensive too. However, that is just my personal opinion. There is nothing wrong with New Delhi and it has a nicer atmosphere than the other two.

Royal India uses tandoor and Naan taste like those in India and food is just like India. They supply to big hotel so I've heard. Give it a try just ignore the decor and smell. (Been to India 3 times I've seen worst)

New Delhi was very very good too but heard some complaints, don't know the current status.

Bollywood, well.. the last time I had biryani it was like eating mexican rice but that's IMHO and Naan tasted like some pizza bread.

Hinlay, ... he don't make real Indian curry although beef randang which is Indonesian should be nice

Le Spice in the Night Bazaar does a Western style Indian food well decor

Chedi hotel, best curry in Chiang Mai similar to Rang Mahal in BKK but extremely pricey.

Still have not tried the one opposite the Duantawan hotel

If run out of options, try Sausage King Chicken Vindaloo, Rob sure knows how to make Curry, got me addicted!

This evening , found Royal india, but not feel to go inside. Outside the corner, saw 2 Indian place, Kabab house and one other,forget the name, was quite crowded. Tried vindaloo at kabab house, was not very spicy and nan bread they make on fry pan. They dnt have tandoor. But price was realy cheap. Will try other place.

Edited by ARISTIDE

Will try this thanks

Royal India is my favorite too and inexpensive. Not a great atmosphere though. Also, the Kabab House right around the corner is in the same category and the family is related

There is also a new, (cleaner) place almost across from the Duangtawan hotel that is a little more expensive with smaller portions, but tasty.

NEW DELHI was my old haunt the problem was Ravi was always off travelling and when he was away the place went to S#@T when he came back was back to being good but you never knew when he was going to be there so just went to somewhere else.

If Ravi was there all the time the choice would be clear its all freshly cooked and tastes great but as with any other business when the boss it away for long periods of time his business suffers.

DK

Bollywood is the best in my opinion after eating at most of them in Chiang Mai, I used to like Royal India but filthy people, dirty place with stains on the tablecloth and it STINKS to high heaven and put you off your food before it even gets there, in fact I had to leave one time as the friend I took there started feeling ill because of the horrific smell .

God knows that the kitchen looks like and food hygiene

If they were cleaner and did something with the smell (I told the guy straight up its stinks and he should change his tablecloths to plastic covers which would be easier to keep clean but nothing changed except I never went back.

So Spicy Bollywood is the place for me very tasty decent portions and friday nights is a good deal all you can eat buffet for 200 baht. Its located just past the old Spicey behind where the Jack Daniels Van is near the living room bar.

DK

Just as a matter of interest, how do you know nothing changed if you never went back?

I've been to royal India Lots of times and never had a bad meal. I've also had their take aways via Meals on Wheels.

• Like 1

In fact, if you are a Brit, as Rich54321 says, The Olde Bell have the best Anglo-Indian curries in town at the moment- just like your curry house back home.

Chicken Tikka Masala, Chicken Dopiaza, Chicken Korma and Chicken Vindaloo. The Vindaloo isn't the absolute hottest I've ever tasted, but then after Thai food anything is tame! I remember when we lived in UK, my (Thai) wife eating a Phaal and wondering what all the fuss was about! that said these are the nearest i've come across in Thailand to British Indian food. We've also got English style poppadoms, Onion Bhajis, Mango chutney and Pilau Rice. Aroy Maak!!

I lived in India for nearly a year and the most common/popular/authentic Indian food was vegetarian. It seemed to me that meat was mainly for the Mogul Muslims in the North, and I only ever saw those heavy and rich curry-sauce-based meat dishes there.

There used to be a small vegetarian Indian place off soi 9 Moon Muang, but it was replaced by a 'British' pub!!! I used to love my trips to Penang because the food was authentic Indian (vegetarian) and also Little India always warrants a visit on a trip to Singapore. Does anyone know where you can buy authentic pooris, masala dosas etc In Chiang Mai?

Edited by Loaded

If you want to eat at home you can go to Rimping as they have "Curry Nights" in stock in the freezer section Many ranges of Indian curries. Also have Pilaw and Yellow Rice as well as Onion Bhajis.Best curry l have had in Thailand and not expensive. Give it a try

NEW DELHI was my old haunt the problem was Ravi was always off travelling and when he was away the place went to S#@T when he came back was back to being good but you never knew when he was going to be there so just went to somewhere else.

If Ravi was there all the time the choice would be clear its all freshly cooked and tastes great but as with any other business when the boss it away for long periods of time his business suffers.

DK

DK

Ravi, seems to be very dedicated person for his job. Realy want to try his restaurant. Tonight will have a dinner there. Hope to get there real hot vindaloo. What is location of spicy bollywood.?

DK

Here's my solution to that problem -- If Ravi is there, go to New Delhi. If he's not there, walk 30 meters to Royal India. And as Loaded said, stick to the vegetarian options, especially at Royal India. Funny that someone said they use a real tandoor for their naan at Royal India. Maybe they do, but twice I was served naan that had been cooked much earlier in the day and was inedibly stale and re-heated. I won't make that mistake again.

Hinlay serves some very good dishes, but if you're looking for true Indian cuisine, you might be disappointed.

I tried Spices Indian Restaurant when they were at their prior location on Khamphaengdin Road. I didn't think they were very good then. Hopefully they left their chef when they moved.

Indian food is more than a 'hot curry' and the best I have found in Chiang Mai is an unassuming little place opposite the Imperial Mae Ping Hotel on that road that cuts across the bottom of the Loi Kroh Road but before the night bazaar. Its on the left if you walk from Loi Kroh with the hotel on your right. Cheap, great service, even greater food! I'd like to go there with el jeffe!

[quote name=OldeBellPedr' timestamp='1329758597'

post='5073271]

In fact, if you are a Brit, as Rich54321 says, The Olde Bell have the best Anglo-Indian curries in town at the moment- just like your curry house back home.

Chicken Tikka Masala, Chicken Dopiaza, Chicken Korma and Chicken Vindaloo. The Vindaloo isn't the absolute hottest I've ever tasted, but then after Thai food anything is tame! I remember when we lived in UK, my (Thai) wife eating a Phaal and wondering what all the fuss was about! that said these are the nearest i've come across in Thailand to British Indian food. We've also got English style poppadoms, Onion Bhajis, Mango chutney and Pilau Rice. Aroy Maak!!

Sounds nice! But, and be honest are they premade and then microwaved?

Not that there is anything wrong with that, its just I personally dont like it.

Royal Indian is dirty and the curry I had there the other night was far too oily and didn't sit right with me for the night.

Le spice and spicy Bollywood are the best they're more Anglo Indian but that's what I like.

New deli people are filthy I've seen horrible things going on there from the back, where the public toilets are for all the bars situated there.

Royal Indian is dirty....

...New deli people are filthy I've seen horrible things going on there from the back, where the public toilets are for all the bars situated there.

It sounds very authentic imo

Edited by Loaded

Indian food is more than a 'hot curry' and the best I have found in Chiang Mai is an unassuming little place opposite the Imperial Mae Ping Hotel on that road that cuts across the bottom of the Loi Kroh Road but before the night bazaar. Its on the left if you walk from Loi Kroh with the hotel on your right. Cheap, great service, even greater food! I'd like to go there with el jeffe!

That's the place and they really are good and could do with the support of a few more people.

Can't do any harm to put them on the map.