Planning To Marry And Live In Thailand 2

(I decided to re-post this because I wrongly assumed my girlfriend did not have a Tabien Baan)

My objectives:

I would like to be able to live in Thailand with my wife most of the year but will also be travelling back and forth from Hungary to visit my mother a few times each year.

About me:

I'm a 43-year-old male. A holder of both Australian and Hungarian (EU) passports. I am currently resident in Australia. I intend to marry my girlfriend in Thailand sometime in May or June this year.

As far as I can tell I meet all the requirements for extending the 'O' visa (eg Marriage cert, tabien baan, 400K in the bank)

I have some questions:

1. Does applying for an extension to the non-immigrant O on the basis having a spouse sound like the best option for me?

2. In theory if I obtain the extension, will I be able to live in Thailand continuously throughout the year without being forced to leave the country after a certain number of months? (Think this has been answered as YES)

3. Once I have the extension will I be able to travel freely in and out of Thailand without terminating my visa in some way (ie is mult-entry option available)?

4. It is my understanding that if I wish to live continuously in Thailand on a non-immagrant O visa, then I will need to apply for a new visa and extension each year as well as do some reporting every three months. Is this correct?

5. Once I'm in Thailand, can I take care of all the bureaucratic requirements of the visa from Chiang Mai (where we intend to live) or is there some part of the process which will require me to go to Bangkok or elsewhere? (Think this has been answered as YES)

Edited by telstrareg

Married extension for 1 year is 1.9kbht

Re-entry permit is 1kbht a time or 3.8kbht for unlimited

You can come to CM on a tourist Visa and do everything at CM immigration.

The only paperwork you need to do in BK is get your 'affirmation of freedom to marry' document translation stamped and approved by the Foreign Ministry. Don't know if your country has a consulate in CM who can countersign your AofFM first. But a translator in CM can do the Foreign Ministry for you, takes a couple of weeks.

Edited by ludditeman