What Is It About Thai's On The Telephone

monty1412

I'm fascinated by the fact that a number of locals seem to be able to have a 5 minute conversation with a wrong number.

To be honest though regarding phone nightmares the same thing happened back home. I used to have a job in HR. Quite often it'd go like this

Me; Hello. Human Resources.

Caller: I came in last week for an interview. Have i got the job?

Me: What's your name please?

Caller: I came in on Thursday.

Me: What's your name please.

Caller: It was as PR assistant.

Me: Yes but we interview a lot of people. What's your name?

Caller; Who are you? I want to speak to the guy who interviewed me.

Me; That would be me. I do all the interviews. Now if you don't tell me your name I'm hanging up.

Caller: Are you the boss?

CLICK.........

LOL! It would have been good to find out the name so that you know who to delete from the list. That's why I wouldn't have hung up.

I'm fascinated by the fact that a number of locals seem to be able to have a 5 minute conversation with a wrong number.

To be honest though regarding phone nightmares the same thing happened back home. I used to have a job in HR. Quite often it'd go like this

Me; That would be me. I do all the interviews. Now if you don't tell me your name I'm hanging up.

CLICK.........

LOL! It would have been good to find out the name so that you know who to delete from the list. That's why I wouldn't have hung up.

It was amazing the amount for people who failed the interview before barely opening their gobs.

Once I was interviewing a bloke for financial controller and as I started with the usual " So tell me..."

Before I'd even fiished the sentence he lifted one finger as if silencing a child and said ( and I kid you not ) " Before we start can you tell me your qualifications in assessing me? "

I said " Certainly. I'm the man who's qualified in telling people whether they've got the position or not. Now am I interviewing you or are you interviewing me?"

Went through the motions of an interview. Big red " FAIL " imprinted in my mind.

Aplogies for the off topic folks!

Edited by mca

It was amazing the amount for people who failed the interview before barely opening their gobs.

Once I was interviewing a bloke for financial controller and as I started with the usual " So tell me..."

Before I'd even fiished the sentence he lifted one finger as if silencing a child and said ( and I kid you not ) " Before we start can you tell me your qualifications in assessing me? "

I said " Certainly. I'm the man who's qualified in telling people whether they've got the position or not. Now am I interviewing you or are you interviewing me?"

Went through the motions of an interview. Big red " FAIL " imprinted in my mind.

thumbsup.gif

CLICK.........

I had a similar experience where a lad turned up for an interview for a Junior Field Sales role wearing a duffle-coat with the hood up. I asked him politely whether he would like me to take his jacket. He told me he was OK and proceeded to sit down to be interviewed wearing it. I looked at my watch and reduced my interview from 1 hour to 10 minutes by asking the next question whilst he was still mumbling his last answer through his hood.

I stood up, showed him the door and he had the cheek to tell me he was looking forward to working for me. I told him that he should probably keep working on the applications and I was on the phone to the recruitment consultant before the door closed telling them not to waste my time any more with people they couldn't be bothered to vet themselves.

Of topic, yes, but it is fun to bitch about something non-Thai and show that the "other" world is just as odd.

• Like 1

Y U NO SPEAK THAI IN THAILAND?

You speak Thai then no more asinine phone conversations followed by asinine posts on TV. Everybody wins.

+1

Actually, until you learn to speak Thai, you never really know how assinine a conversation could possibly be.

I can read Thai, and speak it moderately, I have found however that the absolute best talent to develop is one that lets you NOT understand or comprehend a single word being spoken the second my wife picks up the phone. It all just fades into a slightly annoying background sound, a bit like cicadas or green frogs.

Even when she is speaking English.

I so envy you. Can do it with English but Thai and another couple of languages which I speak to some extent I can't. An iPod helps.

Oh oh oh . I think I know the answer to this riddle.

Is it, perhaps, because she is being extra polite and trying to communicate with you in your own language even though she is . . ummmm . . Thai and the conversation is happening in . . . . ummmm . . . Thailand?

When there are no Farangs about they all speak in perfect English only switching to Thai in the presence of a Farang, just to make a Farangs life difficult cos they don't want us here.

That's not Thailand - that's Wales

• 11 months later...
You will get used to it soon enough.

They expect you to recognize their voice. Why? Because they recognize voices.

Now we have caller ID, which helps. Before that, our customers expected to be recognized by their voice, and our Thai staff did. It was quite embarrassing when a customer called me and I had to ask who's calling.

Lucky you. I just tried to get Caller ID for my True land line and they told me it's not available in my area. Am I out in the sticks? No, I'm in Bangkok. Am I in the outer suburbs? No, I'm in the inner suburbs, in the Thonglor/Ekkamai upscale area close to major business areas. And my location has no Caller ID service. Can you beat that for a surprise?

They rarely introduce themselves and question "who is it?" or "who is calling" doesn't work, then just hang up option.

also are quite funny jealous thai guys, one guy kept calling me all the time days and nights he always just said "hallo" so I said "hallo" who is calling?" quiet...then he goes "hallo" then I hang up and the same again few hours later, one day I gave my phone to a thai friend to ask the guy what he wants from me as his phone calls don't make any sense, so this friend called him and the guy goes "I called wrong number" since then quiet...

At what stage do those who live and holiday in Thailand, which, is a Thai speaking country, finally work out they need to learn the frickn language and therefore stop complaining that the Thais that they talk to, speak Thai and arent fluent in the language of English all the time.

Hope your <deleted> seats nice.

LEARN THAI YOU WHINGING CHOPS.

Edited by krisb

Here was the one sided conversation my wife had yesterday....

kha...kha...khaa...kha.kha.....kha......kha....kha....kha.kha...khaa....kha...khaa..kha...............kha...kha.kha.kha........kha. (approximately 4 minutes later) ....kha ....khobp khun khaaa.

I ask.......who was that?

She....mai loo, wrong number.

I was having dinner with my Wife and Inlaws a few months ago and received a call I didn't recognise on my cell phone...

Me: Hello ?

Caller: Herrooorrr

Me: Hello, Yes ?

Caller: (Thai In English) Who is that ?

Me: Sorry ?

Caller: Who is that ?

Me: You called me, you should know !

Caller: Who are you ?

Me: Who are you looking for ?

Caller: Who are you?

Me: (laughing) This isn't the way a call works, you call me, I ask "who is it?"

Caller: Huh ?

I Hung Up !!!..

I have no idea who called me, there was no repeat call.