TAT To Unveil Miracle Thailand 2012 Campaign

webfact

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The slogan is embarrassing. If they are going to use a corny, silly slogan at least make it grammatically correct.

it is correct,.....did'nt you know thais are always right ?.......not to mention their superb english skills

Agree, but in marketing grammar often goes out the window - even from native speakers.

IF they did the testing of the slogan and know that it is effective with tourists, then so be it (that is a big 'if' and I wonder if they did). But a slogan alone doesn't make a marketing campaign. Let's see what else comes out of this.

Cant be any worse than the Aussie tourism slogan, "Where the bloody hell are you"'

That is hilarious. Is this for real?

I thought this was an old thread bumped.

Wasn't this announced several months ago and didn't TV posters come up with exactly the same comments then?

Maybe they had to wait for official approval from the Vatican, like when an image of the Virgin Mary appears on a grilled cheese sandwich.

• Like 2

BANGKOK, 24 February 2012 (NNT) - The Thai tourism authority is set to unveil a new campaign to promote the country's tourism in the southern region.

Such attractions include the trout farm and the koala house at Chiang Mai Zoo as well other featured destinations from the previously-launched Unseen Thailand and Amazing Thailand projects.

What is this 2 quotes above, promote southern region and Chiang Mai.

Did they move Chiang Maii to south?

also there is something wacky about the dates the miracle campaign is for 2015 and we are 2012. some sort of joke ?

• 1 month later...

TAT is animistic to the core. If they say it, it will happen. Will it?

Thais are uniquely wrapped in their Thainess that they cannot see beyond the scope of what they perceive is reality.

There is a critical disconnect between officials (and Thais in general) and the world they live in. I keep telling my good Thai friends that Farangland is not a huge country populated by white people.

Animism of Theravada Buddhism tells them from an early age that spirits will go to their assistance if summoned properly with the right offerings. That translates into the idea that if they wish it and they say it, it will happen. During the last flood of 2011 (a seasonal phenomenon that is inherent to the region for ions), the powers that be went to wats with offerings to appease the deities of the waters. What was the result? 2 months later after the flood started I went to visit a friend in Salaya, (right before entering into Nakhon Pathom), and I had to wade in water up to my knees and board an army truck to get to the main road (Borommaratchachonani) to get back to Pinklao. This new TAT campaign will be a costly exercise in futility.

When it fails, then they will come up with another slogan. Will they ever address safety of tourists in LOS? Chiang Mai was plagued with "coincidental deaths" last year and this year has the worst pollution in years but, TAT will promote Chiang Mai while doing nothing to improve safety and quality of life for tourists. I am in Chiang Mai and I know first hand how bad the situation is.

Yes, sadly the culture is forestalled by this "Magical Thinking", say it is so and puff! it will be so.

I dread derailing the thread, but a perfect example was Thaksin declaring Thailand a drug-free country.

Grandiose declarations and then nothing meaningful gets really done.

Ah yes; and Mr T also proclaimed that Thailand was already a developed country !

When it comes to scams, it is.

Edited by Skywalker69

Current Australian travel advisory (Tuesday, 14 February 2012)

http://www.smartrave...Advice/Thailand

Possibly what the Big Brains at TAT are thinking is, if you come to Thailand, it will be a Miracle if you don't get scammed, extorted threatened and robbed by jet ski owners, robbed, assaulted and/or raped by taxi drivers, night club staff, ladyboys, or even passersby, pulled over and extorted by police, charged radically higher prices for everything (if you're not of Asian ethnicity), or in general be treated not as a human being but a walking unfeeling ATM whose sole purpose in life here must be to give away your money. A fun, safe, crime free holiday could truly be viewed as a Miracle Thailand, so it certainly seems to be a good slogan, especially for visiting Phuket.

Or ending up commit suicide, maby by stabbing your-self in the back.

Imagine I opened a restaurant and publicized it with a million dollar campaign with TV spots and colorful brochures everywhere. Only one problem, some clients, while sitting at their restautrant tables, get their toes nibbled on by giant rats. Blood on the floorboards, screaming customers, ruined vacations.

You'd expect I might do something about the rats running around the restaurant.

But no, I'm TAT, and though I've heard there are extortionist mobs ripping tourists off daily at knifepoint on the beaches of Phuket and Pattaya, I don't pay it any mind. I only want to promote good things and show pretty pictures, I don't want to have any discussion or involvement with bad things. So come to my Thai restaurant, you might get your toes bitten off, but that's mai pen rai to me. I'll have pretty hostesses smiling nearby, and a bouquet of flowers on every table.

Its a Miracle Thailland if you come for 2 weeks holiday and don't get scammed, robbed, shot at, drugged by hookers, end up on hospital, hustled by corrupt police and manage to return home unscathed?

A more appropriate slogan would be 'Come to Thailand, the wild east...'. At least it would attract the danger and adrenaline junkies, rather than those looking for a safe holiday in a nice warm place?

Edited by MaiChai

Imagine I opened a restaurant and publicized it with a million dollar campaign with TV spots and colorful brochures everywhere. Only one problem, some clients, while sitting at their restautrant tables, get their toes nibbled on by giant rats. Blood on the floorboards, screaming customers, ruined vacations.

You'd expect I might do something about the rats running around the restaurant.

But no, I'm TAT, and though I've heard there are extortionist mobs ripping tourists off daily at knifepoint on the beaches of Phuket and Pattaya, I don't pay it any mind. I only want to promote good things and show pretty pictures, I don't want to have any discussion or involvement with bad things. So come to my Thai restaurant, you might get your toes bitten off, but that's mai pen rai to me. I'll have pretty hostesses smiling nearby, and a bouquet of flowers on every table.

For your restaurant example: The solution would be:

Add another million in promotion.

Put one million to suppress any bad news.

Put a transvestite show to distract the customer

Increase the prices (call it quality surcharge) so you can keep the profit with less customer stable.

I think they should make an ad which shows what Thailand is famous for, beautiful temples, friendly people, unique culture, Thai boxing, beautiful beaches and delicious cuisine.

Those, and the prostitutes. Don't be offended. The TAT knows about that.
  • Like 1

Talking of prostitution, I saw somewhere recently, not sure where, forgot, but it said that Thailand is now, presently the number one destination for sex tourism, surely, I would have thought that goes to Amsterdam or the Phillipines. Anyone know where the number one destination for sex tourism is? Maybe there's a list of the Top ten.

Talking of prostitution, I saw somewhere recently, not sure where, forgot, but it said that Thailand is now, presently the number one destination for sex tourism, surely, I would have thought that goes to Amsterdam or the Phillipines. Anyone know where the number one destination for sex tourism is? Maybe there's a list of the Top ten.

google brought this... and yes, at Number 1; Miracle Thailand.

http://www.askmen.com/top_10/travel/destinations-for-single-men_1.html

Jingthing, TAT surely use the prostitution Hub, as the main gateway to Thailand, but hide behind it and promote NICE things in adverts to attract tourists.   They are also aware of the S##t scams that are everywhere, but difficult to tread on VIP toes who run them.   TAT are a farce, and the hi-So's that run it.

TAT does have a number of native speakers (including myself) who work for them either directly or indirectly. However, the slogans always come from the top managers and cannot be changed by those who understand that they are grammatically incorrect.

A few years ago I saw a new slogan: "Every hour in Thailand is happy hour!" I quickly pointed out that 1) there should be an a before happy, 2) this meant that drinks were going to be discounted 'every hour'. rolleyes.gif

Fortunately, feedback from me and others managed to squelch that one!tongue.png

I think they should make an ad which shows what Thailand is famous for, beautiful temples, friendly people, unique culture, Thai boxing, beautiful beaches and delicious cuisine.

How is Thai culture unique when it is mostly misappropriated from the Khmer, along with their language and sports?

• Like 1

Thailand's culture is unique in that no other country has an exactly similar culture. Though you are right to point out that it's culture does originate from kymer culture which is practiced in parts of Cambodia today. Heres an interesting link on the origins of Thai culture. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CFgQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mahidol.ac.th%2Fthailand%2Fculture.html&ei=u5aTT5TrFo3irAeKoL3rBA&usg=AFQjCNEqbWonHPfTIIreJumACbijOuLZcw

i have been here a month so far on this trip , i've been to a few beaches in north pattaya and 2 in rayong , i have NEVER seen them looking so dirty , plastic bottles , beer bottles , plastic bags , poly food containers etc etc , i needed to use the toilet while in northern hatmeuramphung beach..........i paid 5b but could not use them, the filthy disgusting state of them turned my guts , and if i wanted toilet paper it would be 10b more !! , ..........i jumped back on my motorbike in search of another hopefully cleaner toilet , after about 4-5 km i found another ''public'' toilet, .........talk about ''hong nam'' there was so much water flooding the place mixed with urine among god knows what else , ....again 5b + 10 for a tissue , i could not use the mens as they were unfit for any westerner, if not,any human being, i used the ladies toilet instead which was slightly better , but with no soap or towel/hand tissues , , i will return to these places in a few weeks to take some photos and post them on-line somewhere , the following day i had a tummy bug and needed anti-biotics , i've seen cleaner facilities in africa !..............amazing, miracle thailand , good luck with your BS campaign !

• Like 1

I've been seeing this ad campaign on TV recently. Compared to Malaysia, Truly Asia, and the Singapore one, they are amateurish and starts off with a nice big advert for a mall (I wonder which TAT directors family owns that one) .

i cant think of anywhere that gives worse value for money on designer/branded goods than thailand , thats why the copies here sell so well, ...i pay half for trainers and aftershave is 70% cheaper in the UK........the only thing that is on a par or cheaper is the food chains , Fuji,oishi , sizzler etc

• Like 1