Visa Run To Kuala Lumpur

tolstoy

CM has a direct flight to KL so even though I have been to Penang a few times, I know nothing about KL. Would love to have some suggestions on wear to stay and the like.

What would be the best (cheapest) way to get from the airport?

What would be a good area to stay? I am leaning towards Bukit Bintang. Trying to find places for around 50 ringit a night.

One of my favorite things about Penang is how everything is close together. My favorite thing about the visa run is filling up on Indian food (malaysian style). I assume the Bintang area has good Indian food, but if anyone knows of better places I would love to hear about it.

Finaly, what is the best way to get to the Thai Embassy. On their web page it states that it is possible to get the multiple entry non o visa, but on Thai Visa's page it says not. Has anyone recently received the Non-0 Multi Entry. I know Penang did it for me but required a bank statement of 400K just like immigration requires for the extension.

You dont state on what basis you are applying so its practically impossible to comment.

You need to state what you are applying for, based on marriage, children , retirement, employment, business and so on.

There are a number of Hotels all around the Embassy itself, I would suggest you use the Embassy address via somehinig like" trip advisor" and that will give you hotels in the area.

Dont forget its submit application one day before 12 noon collect after 2pm the next day. Go early as their are always queues.

Finally the Airport is around 45 minutes drive by taxi to town, not sure about bus,If you get a taxi from the Airport you pay the office NOT the driver.

Good luck

Edited by CharlieH

• 4 months later...

I just made a visa trip to KL.

Very useful directions and info: http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/kualalumpur/2012/05/18/getting-a-thai-visa-in-kuala-lumpur/

I stayed in Brickfields area close to KL Sentral (this is the main transport hub in KL and therefore a convent place to stay and 1 subway ride away from Thai embassy.

Procedure was swift (bring morning pick up afternoon next day).

There were 25 people before me and I was out in 30 minutes!

Download the form from the embassy website and check the requirements.

You will notice confusion about pic sizes: it is the size mentioned on the form, not the size on the embassy checklist (so the smaller one)

(I had both just to be sure)

Recommend hotels: MyHotel; (roughly THB 800/night on Agoda) and Hotel Sentral (THB 1200 on AGoda)

Sentral has the nicer rooms (ask for room in old wing - more spacious), but MyHotel has as very nice covered terrace.

Both hotels are 200 meter from each other in a street full of hotels botch cheap and middle class (mind you there are 2 Myhotels in the same street, the one with the nice terrace is the corner one).

Planes from Low Cost carriers arrive not at KLIA but at LCC (therefore the name :-)

From LCCC to KL Sentral hub: there is a ticket booth from Skybus (red) in the arrivals area of LCC.

Mind you: the bus ride to KL SENtral is takes 1.5 hour!

After arriving at KL Sentral: it is hard to give exact directions since they are building around there so the route will change weekly.

It is just a few minutes walk. From where you get our of the bus:

- do NOT go inside KL Sentral but walk away from the bus in the forward direction of the bus

- follow the walkway until the end which brings you at a big crossing

- you will see a fenced sport field front left and a China bank.

- cross the street straight and continue for 100 m - MyHotel on your right.

- for Sentral hotel go right after MyHotel - after 200 meters on your left

Together with the directions mentioned above and the embassy info this is really all you need to know.

It will be difficult to find acommodation for 50 RM/night but not impossible.You dont take taxi from airport!It

will cost you 60;train will cost you 35,bus - just 8(eight),it is very comfortable aircon coach which will bring you where you want,but most of them go to Sentral(Brickfields)(one hour).If you want to stay there - Myhotel is overpriced,Sentral is even more expensive,however good value - is booked out;YMCA there is closer to your budget,there are some cheaper option as well,just stroll away you will find KualaLumpur LittleIndia with a lot of restaurants.50 RM you will pay for guest house in ChinaTown,WheelersPlace is even cheaper,excellent location opposite RaeggeBar on night market - place with character(restaurant on the roof,free buffet for residents on friday!katoys in reception).WinSin near BKKBank on PetalingJaya is very decent hotel - 70RM.On BukitBintang there are some hotels with cheap rooms,area is very alive with a lot of restaurants,shopping malls open long time.Use monorail for transport and other trains(like metro) - very cheap!One of them will take you to BatuCaves - very impresive place,must to see.You can go up

on PetronasTower,but I think - going up TVTower is better experience.If you are fed up with heat - go to GentingHighlands couple of hours away - you will cool down or freeze.CameroonHighlands are much better

but you would have to stay there.Go there if you like strawberries.

the above from B-vik muist be years old.

Wheelers has lost the single katoey 2-3 years ago. It really is a rundown and VERY basic place-just look atv the bathrooms. Even that often so maligned Khaosarn offers better.

Look at sites like hostelworld or hostelbookers for accomm in that range and DO read very careffuilly reviews. many -this is MY-suffer from bedbugs and lazy housekeeping/cleaning. Most of it in KUL is done by Burmese.

The Indian quarter is around the now renovated Puduraya busstation, also just south of Brickfields-sentral (nothing to really rec that area though).

The cheapest bus is booked same time as AA-the red one. Time taken really varies with traffic-50 mins is min (early sunday morning), 2 hrs can also happen. There are red+yellow buses=jif not prebooked, just take the first one to go-very frequent. For the many railbuffs: you can also do a combo Bus+hi=spedtrain-cost 12 or 13 MYR, to Sentral. Other buses run to Pudu busstesyen.

My tip is ask where the Mosque is.

My hotel the first time I stayed there had the Mosque right next door.

Which was all very nice until you copped the call to prayer at 5am ... dry.png

OH ... the LCCC terminal which AirAsia use is a long way from the center of KL.

** THIS IS A RE-POST OF MY PREVIOUS POST WITH MINOR CORRECTIONS AND SOME ADDITIONS **

I just made a visa trip to KL.

Very useful directions and info: http://www.travelfis...n-kuala-lumpur/

I stayed in Brickfields area close to KL Sentral (this is the main transport hub in KL and therefore a convent place to stay and 1 subway ride away from Thai embassy.

Procedure was swift (bring morning pick up afternoon next day).

There were 25 people before me and I was out in 30 minutes!

Download the form from the embassy website and check the requirements.

You will notice confusion about pic sizes: it is the size mentioned on the form, not the size on the embassy checklist (so the smaller one)

(I had both just to be sure)

Recommend hotels: MyHotel; (roughly THB 800/night on Agoda) and Hotel Sentral (THB 1200 on AGoda)

Sentral has the nicer rooms (ask for room in old wing - more spacious), but MyHotel has as very nice covered terrace.

Both hotels are 200 meter from each other in a street full of hotels botch cheap and middle class (mind you there are 2 Myhotels in the same street, the one with the nice terrace is the corner one).

Planes from Low Cost carriers arrive not at KLIA but at LCC Terminal (therefore the name :-)

From LCCT to KL Sentral hub: there is a ticket booth from Skybus (red) in the arrivals area of LCCT.

Mind you: the bus ride to KL Sentral can take 1.5 hour!

After arriving at KL Sentral: it is hard to give exact directions since they are building around there so the route will change weekly.

It is just a few minutes walk. From where you get our of the bus:

- do NOT go inside KL Sentral but walk away from the bus in the forward direction of the bus

- follow the walkway until the end which brings you at a big crossing

- you will see a petrol station and a fenced sport field front left and a Public bank straight ahead

- cross the street straight and continue for 100 m - MyHotel on your right.

- for Sentral hotel go right after MyHotel - after 200 meters on your left

To the thai embassy: there are several subway and monorails in KL. You need the LRT line inside KL Sentral.

6th stop from KL Sentral is Ampang Park. (RM2 single journey). Journey incl walk takes about 45 minutes.

Together with the directions mentioned above and the embassy info this is really all you need to know.

1 more question: are there 2airports in KL? I understand, international airport is KUL. Then what is SZB (firefly flies there). Is it far from the center of the city?

No idea SZB..there is International and LCC ( low cost carrier Air Asia etc) Good hotel is Mountbatten ( 900 bt last time I was there) downtown near china town. sort of boutique updated with WIFI TV air and modern rooms .fancy bathrooms and shower near Mackers and 7 and rapid transit. ( about 10min walk from Central)

When you arrive at airport do get a tourist map. Transport etc is excellent in KL use rail to access Thai consul ( on map) cheap as chips. Rail station is in a mall about 12 min walk to embassy.

Edited by David006