Demo Lesson Hell!

emmalebowski

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are currently looking for work in Thailand. We each have a demo lesson at the same school on Friday. We were told it would be with grade 2 (which we are assuming is P2 rather than M2). We were told to teach anything we like and that the lesson would last half an hour (again, we are assuming half an hour each). I think the class sizes are probably around 30 - 40.

We have never taught in a school before but we have very recently completed our CELTA course. So this means we don't really have any experience in how to teach young children and manage a large class size, but we'd both really like to work in this environment and are very enthusiastic about teaching young kids.

I am thinking of planning a lesson based on prepositions (the bear is on the chair, the bear is next to the chair etc) and Alan is thinking of planning a lesson around the weather (it is sunny, it is raining etc). We were thinking of using worksheets where students match the words to the pictures. Alan is thinking of then asking them to colour in the sun, clouds etc (any colour they choose) and then the students ask their neighbour what colour is their sun, rain cloud, etc. I was going to plan a game where they put their pens on their heads, under their chin etc. During the game, I'll put my pen above my head but say 'put your pen under your chin' and see if they copy me or put their pen under their chin.

The thing is, we're not entirely sure how to plan a lesson for a large class size in P2. We're not sure what kind of activities to include, whether we should have the kids working in pairs, what their level of English will be, will they understand our instructions, should we include songs (although we don't have any resources for songs or anything to play music with), should we ask every student their name, how are they etc at the start of the lesson, will the students be able to read the words to match the pictures with?

We're not sure how to pitch the lesson and whether we should pitch it more to P3, seeing as it's the end of the year. Do you think the ideas we have are too basic for their level? We don't want our lessons to be too easy or too difficult but we've no idea what they've been learning so far. Does anyone with experience in teaching to this level have any ideas if our lessons are too easy/hard?

Any feedback or help would be greatly appreciated. We'd really love to get these jobs and want to go in with a solid lesson plan and some good knowledge of what to expect, so any advice you can offer would be more than welcomed!

Thank you in advance!

Emma and Alan

A big weakness of the CELTA course is that it doesn't prepare teachers for real schools.

"We have never taught in a school before but we have very recently completed our CELTA course. So this means we don't really have any experience in how to teach young children and manage a large class size, but we'd both really like to work in this environment and are very enthusiastic about teaching young kids."

For the demo, keep it simple. The demo is to show your ability to teach the children. I would not use a worksheet or coloring--there simply is not enough time in half an hour. Have visual aids that you can put on the board to demonstrate what you are teaching--in, on, under for example.

1. Do a simple introduction with a simple game, or a song. Whatever you do, it is best if it relates to the lesson. Relating to the lesson is good, but not absolutely necessary. It should make the kids energized and feel good. A little physical activity helps them focus.

I don't teach much anymore because much of my work is administrative, but one that I do with the students is I give them certain instructions before they can set down. For example, 'you can sit down, if you are wearing earrings'. You can sit down, if you are wearing a watch. You can sit down, if you are wearing a necklace,bracelet, glasses, etc. Keep it simple--and use visual cues touch your ear lobe for earrings and point a student wearing them. The last one is you can sit down if you are wearing a school uniform.

2. Don't do anything that is too complicated. It's best to stay away from much of anything having to do with the head (cultural issue). For in, on, under, I used to have the students put their hands on the desk, then quickly say 'in the desk', 'under the desk' repeat a few times then mix them up.

3. Make sure the students spell the words--even if they are simple.

4. Don't give too many words. If they seem to know in, on and under, you can add behind, but much more than that and it starts getting complicated.

Hopefully others will be along with a little more experience. I've been away from teaching G. 2 kids for a while.

• Like 1

I've rarely had any luck with pair-work in this age group - I don't think that Thai teachers usually do pair work, so the kids will probably not be used to the concept.

Back when I taught English to younger students I would often have them practice things by writing out a conversation on the board between, Mr. A & Mr. B. Then I would practice with me being Mr. A and the whole class being Mr. B, and then vice-versa. Then I would split the class in 2 with 1/2 being A & 1/2 being B, etc., until I was down to smaller groups or pairs.

Your biggest problem will simply be getting the kids to understand want you want them to do. In your CELTA class you probably learned how to write a classic lesson plan with warmup, review of previous lesson, then presentation, practice and performance with a final summary/comprehension check. Personally, I wouldn't dream of trying to do anything this complicated with a new class. Focus on just one or two simple activities that will keep the kids busy and active.

Your evaluators will probably not nit-pick your lesson, they will probably be looking to see how well you can control the class, how well you can communicate with the students and how well you get along with them and the Thai teachers.

One final word would be to be flexible. You're expecting 20 minutes with 30 -50 2nd grade students, but don't be surprised if it turns out to be 60 minutes with 8th grade students or possibly a quick "Students, say hello to your new teacher". Whatever happens, just keep smiling and roll with it. WPFflags.gif

Sage advice as ever from our mod. There's not much to add.

Children of this age love physical activity, and as you will know, TPR is well grounded in 2nd LL theory. TPR songs are great because you don't have to try and work out what you're going to do next and next and next. Don't have too much content, but have something extra under your belt 'just in case'. Even with my younger M level classes I use tons of concept checking and modelling/ choralling- don't be scared to use those techniques.

You don't say where you're interviewing, or who by, but if it's a Thai they will probably be looking to see if the lesson is "sanuk" and if it's a qualified farang, then as long as your lesson is planned, they will see that you know what you're on about.

Good luck!

Hi, I can be of some help, I agree with others that CELTA offers little preparation, especially for working with young learners. I think your ideas are very good for a demo lesson;

I am thinking of planning a lesson based on prepositions (the bear is on the chair, the bear is next to the chair etc) and Alan is thinking of planning a lesson around the weather (it is sunny, it is raining etc). We were thinking of using worksheets where students match the words to the pictures. Alan is thinking of then asking them to colour in the sun, clouds etc (any colour they choose) and then the students ask their neighbour what colour is their sun, rain cloud, etc. I was going to plan a game where they put their pens on their heads, under their chin etc. During the game, I'll put my pen above my head but say 'put your pen under your chin' and see if they copy me or put their pen under their chin.

The trick is to really minimise the amount of time your are talking and be concise; don't say 'Now what I want you all to do is .....'.

Start with a 10min warmer activity like TPR or a song as you mentioned. Then a drilling activity where the class will repeat the target language, the 'Sit down' game is a good one; split the class into teams, they say sentence in unison once, then twice and then on the third time the first team to say and sit down gets a point. It relieves the tension of sitting down and is usually fun. Finally, do a practise game like the TPR one you suggested; extend it by asking each child at a time to give the rest of the class an instruction. If your lesson has worked, most children should be able to create their own instructions and use language authentically. That's 30 minutes, no need to bother with any worksheets.

Have fun!

When I taught 3rd grade I didn't think of it as a 50 minute period, but rather something like 2 25 minute periods or 3 15 minute periods with some leeway.

Kids at this age have a harder time staying on task with just one idea. They get a bit bored.

Prepositions can be a great lesson and since you can do board work, seat work, and having the kids being active you shouldn't have too much trouble.

Maybe pick 5 prepositions, in, on, next to, under, above, or some variation.

You can do an intro on the board and draw examples and write it in English. Then demonstrate each one with objects.

Move on to a game, simon says is a great game for preps at that age.

Then finish with a brief work sheet.

They are going to be more impressed with an ability to control the class and shift from one task to the next rather than if your prep is amazing.

Also, don't reinvent the wheel. There are TONS of lessons online just waiting to be used and then tweaked a bit to fit your needs.

Good luck, you'll do fine.

I would also say definitely no worksheets, we are in week 19 of the term, ready to take finals and wrap it all up, and the students must be sick of books and worksheets by now.

For any demo lesson, it is essential that you have a bunch of ideas for backup, if something doesn't work out, don't push it, be ready to switch to another game or song or activity. I don't know who will be observing you - Thai or westerner - expectations often differ. Usually Thais have a harder time accepting the inevitability of loud, "messy", active classrooms. If it was me, I would be looking for flexibility, preparedness, it would definitely be an advantage if you prepared a couple of flashcards, a story, CD, or props. Like, I don't know, a bunch of clothes for the topic of "weather", identifying suitable items for cold weather: whoever can say an appropriate word, phrase or sentence (depending on their level) about a piece gets to put it on - or anything creative and fun.

Good luck.

Edited by Firelily

...and to add to the above, the students under observation will at least probably be slightly better controlled and 'on their best behaviour', so you might risk a more sedentary moment or two- but you want to be prepared with plenty of 'emergency' ideas in case something falls flat. Given time and experience, you will have a better feeling for 'what works' before you even go into a classroom.

Hi, thank you for all your advice. We are just going to keep the lessons simple, include games and TPR and try to keep TTT to a minimum. I do think our biggest problem will be getting the students to understand our instructions so we're going to rehearse loads tonight and try to find the simplest way to say something (probably wont be that easy when we're standing in front of the class!). Thanks again for all your help!

when I did a demo lesson for P2 a kid got up walked over to me walked around me a few times with his hands in the air and started dry humping my leg. I very gently moved him back to his chair with both hands on his shoulders. I didn't get the job because I touched the student .... :D

Edited by thaicbr
  • Like 1

Hi, thank you for all your advice. We are just going to keep the lessons simple, include games and TPR and try to keep TTT to a minimum. I do think our biggest problem will be getting the students to understand our instructions so we're going to rehearse loads tonight and try to find the simplest way to say something (probably wont be that easy when we're standing in front of the class!). Thanks again for all your help!

If I were you, I would break the lesson up into three equally-timed parts: reading, writing, and speaking (in any order of your choosing).

By getting them to do these three tasks in that time frame, it will demonstrate that you can get them on task and make them productive.

Also, I would advise against learning their names. Sure, introduce yourself. But to get 30 - 40 names (and Thai names at that) would be useless because you may remember three or four, but the rest will be a blur. Administration may see that as a rookie ploy of "buying time" or "sponging."

Edited by ivan96822

Hi, we're thinking of starting the lesson with an ice breaker name game. I'm going to play the alphabet game (My name is Emma and I like apples. The next student says their name and likes something beginning with b etc). I'm going to have the students standing and clapping for this so it's more about a warm up than trying to learn their names - you think that would be okay? Alan is going to have a ball which is passed amongst the students and they say their name and age (we might have to change the students saying their names if we're both teaching the same class).

Thaicbr -that's hilarious!

Hi, we're thinking of starting the lesson with an ice breaker name game. I'm going to play the alphabet game (My name is Emma and I like apples. The next student says their name and likes something beginning with b etc). I'm going to have the students standing and clapping for this so it's more about a warm up than trying to learn their names - you think that would be okay? Alan is going to have a ball which is passed amongst the students and they say their name and age (we might have to change the students saying their names if we're both teaching the same class).

Thaicbr -that's hilarious!

Op is it an English program or normal. also what part of the country . If I were you I would have a few scenarios in place ranging from very low to medium high. because they are p2 so very Ltd English. make sure they can understand by showing. good luck.

Edited by thaicbr

Hi, we're not sure if it's an English programme or not. We went to drop off our resumes and the woman asked us to come back for a demo lesson. She was quite vague and she was thinking on the spot so we're thinking it could all have changed by tomorrow! If that's the case, then I guess we'll just have to wing it. We know a few teachers in the area and they've said the level of English at this school isn't very high. Our lessons are aimed at young children so hopefully that's who we'll be teaching otherwise it could all get a bit patronising!

Remember that you will need to have some multi media incorporated into your lesson. Ask if they have an overhead projector in the classroom. Most schools that I have worked for have them. PowerPoint would be the way to go. Make the lesson student centered which means that you need to plan the lesson around different learning strategies. Have something oral, kinetic, visuals for certain.

Situational language would be better than just prepositions alone. Do one activity with prepositions but not the whole 30 minutes. Do something active that they can easily perform. Do not use lengthy explanations or lots of words. Simple commands and simple questions. Your name game will definitely flop. Keep it simple. If you want to do names, then just have them stand up first person says his/her name second person says his/her name and the name of the first student. Give them the count of three then sit down if they cannot do it. Or even simpler is the ABC game. Have first student say A, second B, and so on. You can speed it up after the first round. If they get the letter wrong or mispronounce then sit down.

Well the demo lessons went okay we think. The kids had a great time. The woman assessing us told us we should have used worksheets and given them writing exercises to do but we explained that was difficult to plan for a demo lesson and normally we would structure a lesson around the curriculum and she seemed happy with that.

We've been to a few interviews now and this was our second demo lesson. Everyone tells us they will call us in April or May to confirm whether we have the job. Is this normal at this time of year? Also, our tourist visa runs out in June so we're thinking that if we don't have a job offer soon, and start applying for a work visa, then we'll have to leave the country at the start of the new term anyway.

Thanks for all your advice x

I just got hired and I am doing the Non Imm B now, but they also want to hire me to do a summer camp as well. I don't know if I can make that yet.

My first job back in 2006 hired me in late March and I went off to Laos around that time. I had a pain in the ass of a time in Laos, hoping that doing it from the states will be much easier.

Was it a pain in the ass organising the visa from Laos? You should be okay organising it from the states. I've heard if you have an employer who can organise your Non Imm B visa before you arrive in Thailand then it is easier than trying to get it when you're here.

Good luck anyway!

Was it a pain in the ass organising the visa from Laos? You should be okay organising it from the states. I've heard if you have an employer who can organise your Non Imm B visa before you arrive in Thailand then it is easier than trying to get it when you're here.

Good luck anyway!

Yeah, I umm had to take some measures into my own hands...

Immediately, the schmuck who was there was making life hell for any Farang, didn't matter the nationality. He would nitpick over documents while letting any other race go easy. When ever a school needed to talk to this guy he wouldn't accept other people's phones, the schools had to give HIM a call. Except he kept giving out fake numbers that never worked.

When it came to my coworker and I, she got passed, I didn't. She was Filapina. But what did it was the fact that she was hired in the English Program (EP) and I wasn't so I didn't have one document that she did. He kept telling me to get it, I kept telling him I was hired to a different position and that document was not part of my packet of info...

Long story short, I took her's photocopied it, cut it up typed it up using my info and recopied it. I get my stuff back and he doesn't even take more than a glance at it, he just wanted to give me shit. To this day I still want to knock him senseless. Well, it seems keeping cool paid of Karma wise, because when I returned back to Chiang Mai, I was told they wanted me to teach the EP program and then gave me a real copy of the document I made.

The bus ride wasn't fun, and if you fly, don't book a return. It seemed that this guy working there LOVED to make farang miss their flights.

low powered people in high power positions, tons of fun...

The new school wants me to try and be there by the 22nd, but since my documents are somewhere between here and there I doubt I will get the letter in time to send to the consulate which can take 14 working days.

Oh well, nothing to really stress over, the above story was a great introduction to me learning to just deal with things like that.

But I am sure you will have an easier time, this was back in 2006. Just make sure you have every single piece of paper with you.

• Like 1

Hi there!

Please make sure if they've got a projector to make a Power Point Slideshow. A good one worked for my third graders is" What do you do every day?"

If there's no projector, write the sentences on the board, let them all read it, talk about it by using simple words will be easy to understand for most of them.

Start with get up, have a shower, etc..ask questions what time they get up when and how they get to school. Works well for kids.

I'd suggest to come up with a song and a game as a warm up. A demo lesson is always watched by some superiors and kids won't be that loud as usual. Divide them into two groups, after your introduction, like boys against girls always works fine, like in reality...

Kids that age love games, prepare some flash cards with animals on it, show it to a kid from the first group. How is this animal moving? What sound does it make?

Kids will have a lot of fun and the ice will be broken. Speak slowly and clearly.

Thai kids will never say that they didn't understand you.

Wish you both good luck! jap.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1