Udon Thani Hospitals Re: Child Birth

saanya

Hi,

We live in Udon Thani.

My wife is 6 months along and her Dr. in Ta Bo (a village 2 hours away) advisedmy wife what I had insisted on all along -find a hospital in Udon Thani.

Her contractions are too many to early on because she doesn't rest enough. Now I think she gets the picture.

Does anyone know if the private hospitals are better than the govt hospitals (which I don't want or need to have her go to) and if so which ones are the best and if possible which doctors?

Upcountry the quality of care is usually better in government hospitals than in private -- and especially so with regard to obstetrics as their is a strong tendency for unnecessary c-section in private hospitals.

You can opt for a "hong piset" (private room) in a government hospital at extra charge if it is amenities you are concerned about.

In Udon Thani, in addition to the main government provincial hospital there is a military hospital (on Khon Khaen road) which is open to civilians. Quality of care in the military hospitals is usually excellent and there also you can get a private roonm.

Usually the military hospital will be less crowded than the main government hospital as while it is open to civilians, I believe Thais not in the military aren't eligible for free care there whereas they are in the provincial hospital causing the latter to usually be quite crowded. Even paying full fee, it will still cost less than a private hospital is likely to and for much better quality of care.

If you do want to go to a private hospital regardless, AEK sees]ms to be the preferred one, but check first to make sure they have a proper NICU...and do beware of unnecessary c-section. It s the norm in private Thai hospitals.