Help. Landlord Trying To Terminate Contract

Hi All,

Today has been a nightmare. I moved into a rented condo less than a months ago and signed a lease for a year. The landlord contacted me today to say I need to leave by April as the property is going to be sold.

I have refused based on the contract, but he is saying I must leave. There's nothing in the contract about early termination, or the fact that the condo was on the market.

In addition I work offshore, so it is very difficult for me to keep moving and I will be offshore when he has asked me to leave.

Does he have a leg to stand on and can I insist that the one year contract holds, or do I need to see a lawyer?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Usually there is a provision in the lease if the property is sold while you have an existing lease. I know for a fact that in my lease if the property gets sold during my lease, the owner has to move me at his expense to another unit of equal size.

Did you deal with the owner directly? Or did you deal with a real estate agency? I presume that the lease is written and signed in English, and you should read it to see what the provision provides for if the property is sold while your still have legal tenancy.

There is nothing in the lease about the property being sold. The lease is in English and is signed by the landlord and myself. Thanks in advance for your input guys

In that case, to the best of my knowledge, the contract is not legal. In my humble opinion, get your deposit back and move out, before your landlord moves your possessions for you!

There is nothing in the lease about the property being sold. The lease is in English and is signed by the landlord and myself. Thanks in advance for your input guys

In that case, to the best of my knowledge, the contract is not legal. In my humble opinion, get your deposit back and move out, before your landlord moves your possessions for you!

Why is it not legal?

because this is Thailand and only contracts in Thai are legal. or so most people think. personally I think an English contract is legal AS long as there is NO Thai contract.

That is not true...a lease in +English is legal however if it goes to court it must then be translated to Thai and the thai version then applies.

Harrry. I was thinking along the same lines which is why I didn't reply to the previous TIT reply. In addition, although my contract is with the owner, the contract was witnessed and signed by an introductory estate agent.