Monkees star Davy Jones dies at 66

News_Editor

Monkees star Davy Jones dies at 66

2012-03-01 22:37:26 GMT+7 (ICT)

INDIANTOWN, Florida (BNO NEWS) -- Davy Jones, the lead singer of the popular American pop rock group 'The Monkees', died in Florida on Wednesday as a result of a suspected heart attack, local officials said. He was 66.

Rhonda Irons, a spokeswoman for the Martin County Sheriff's Office, said Jones was rushed to a hospital on Wednesday morning after complaining of not feeling well. "[A witness] stated Mr. Jones began to complain of not feeling well and having trouble breathing," she said. "Martin County Fire Rescue responded and transported Mr. Jones to Martin Health System where he was pronounced deceased."

The cause of death was not immediately known, but a law enforcement source said Jones is believed to have suffered a heart attack. "At this time there do not appear to be any suspicious circumstances surrounding the death," Irons said in a statement. "The Office of the Medical Examiner will determine exact cause of death."

Jones, who was born in Manchester, England, rose to fame with pop rock group 'The Monkees' which was assembled for the NBC sitcom which carried the same name. The TV series premiered in the fall of 1966 and won the hearts of millions of fans, but the show was canceled in 1968 although the group continued their work through the years.

Besides Englishman Jones, the group was also composed of Americans Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith, and Peter Tork. Some of their greatest hits include "(Theme From) The Monkees", "Last Train to Clarksville", "I'm a Believer", "(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone", "Pleasant Valley Sunday" and "Daydream Believer". Their albums and singles have sold over 65 million copies worldwide.

"While it is jarring, and sometimes seems unjust, or strange, this transition we call dying and death is a constant in the mortal experience that we know almost nothing about," Nesmith said in a statement in response to Jones' death. "I am of the mind that it is a transition and I carry with me a certainty of the continuity of existence. While I don't exactly know what happens in these times, there is an ongoing sense of life that reaches in my mind out far beyond the near horizons of mortality and into the reaches of infinity. That David has stepped beyond my view causes me the sadness that it does many of you. I will miss him, but I won’t abandon him to mortality."

Jones was 66 years old.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-03-01