Thailand's Prostitutes: Caught Between Passion And Compassion

webfact

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are many complex reasons why Thai girls become prostitutes. Over the years I have been with literally hundreds of 'sopheni' making sure I kept healthy by having my 'five a day' as the health professionals recommend. It certainly kept me fit and, for the most part, happy.

I have to ask - what is 'five a day'?

Prayers. Pray 5 times a day.

if Thai woman have it so hard why do so many Thai men want to become woman too?

I may be way off here, but I believe it is because gay males are generally not accepted in Thai society - if you are into guys then the only way to have a public life is to hide behind makeup. Most I have met are neurotic and seriously damaged people, mainly because of this false existence.

Personally I find the idea of an official 'third gender' abhorrent especially when introduced in schools. Having been friends with several gay guys I quite enjoy their company and have never understood why so-called 'normal' people discriminate against them.

Edited by ParadiseLost

Excuse my ignorance but where did this precept of daughters providing for the family come from. Is it something that has evolved over time or is it traced back to a certain era or set of circumstances and the tradition has never been dropped. Is it a buddhist religous law

As a UK male and the way I was brought up, I just cannot get my head around the female being the one to provide for the family.

News flash: Cambodia has Asian males as well.

Yes, you are correct but it also has much more flexible visa rules, property and business ownership and I can at least register my motorcycle in my name. Gambling is legal and the police are not arrogant cowboys. Males seem to be far more friendly and accepting of foreigners, especially if you have skills to teach them.

I agree. Thailand isnt the only show in town. Laos, Burma, Cambodia all have upsides where BKK/Thailand is lacking.

The last coup in Cambodia was so crazy that, pretty much every foreigner fled the country and many with families and businesses never went back. Nothing even close to this has happened in Thailand that I can remember.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Yes, you are correct but it also has much more flexible visa rules, property and business ownership and I can at least register my motorcycle in my name. Gambling is legal and the police are not arrogant cowboys. Males seem to be far more friendly and accepting of foreigners, especially if you have skills to teach them.

You can register a car or motorbike in your name in Thailand,i have both in my name.

Asia Sentinel is not a favourite of MICT because they write a few home-truths now and then. rolleyes.gif

But a decent proxy site or two can get around MICT all day long.

It seem they are more worried about the Lay Nuns, than the sex part of the story...

You can register a car or motorbike in your name in Thailand,i have both in my name.

As far as I know this is only if you 'own' a company, or have a work permit. I have neither as I do contract work outside the country. Of course immigration believes I work illegally in the country and treat me accordingly...

Edited by ParadiseLost

There is no family planning in Thailand. If one cannot afford to have family under strained circumstances

than don't. Even if times are on the upside, still know loss of a job or other such scenario usually

creates unbearable conditions.

Knowledge is power and it starts in the schools or in the home, ideally both.

Welcome to Thailand. Hopefully in a couple of months, you will look back to this post and smile.

• Like 1

I agree. Thailand isnt the only show in town. Laos, Burma, Cambodia all have upsides where BKK/Thailand is lacking.

The last coup in Cambodia was so crazy that, pretty much every foreigner fled the country and many with families and businesses never went back. Nothing even close to this has happened in Thailand that I can remember.

Yeah, but it is easier to get a visa and register your motorbike! Its a gamble you take, if that is your want.

As far as I know this is only if you 'own' a company, or have a work permit. I have neither as I do contract work outside the country. Of course immigration believes I work illegally in the country and treat me accordingly...

you know wrong, i have a car and m/c purchased while here on a toirist visa.

posted using galaxy tab

if Thai woman have it so hard why do so many Thai men want to become woman too?

I may be way off here, but I believe it is because gay males are generally not accepted in Thai society - if you are into guys then the only way to have a public life is to hide behind makeup. Most I have met are neurotic and seriously damaged people, mainly because of this false existence.

Personally I find the idea of an official 'third gender' abhorrent especially when introduced in schools. Having been friends with several gay guys I quite enjoy their company and have never understood why so-called 'normal' people discriminate against them.

biggrin.png

A man marrying a bargirl for money? not vice versa? very odd.

She was talking about a Thai men, not farang. Most of the women bonking farang for money (including our wives) have their Thai guy they're supporting (and bonking) on the side. Back home they'd be called pimps.

My ex-wife is now making a lot more money than me in the bar biz in Pattaya, and once in a while she sends me money to help out with the kids' school fees and such. I suppose that makes me a pimp now. . .

Always best to establish the rules before you enter a contract.

They must be only talking about farang prostitution.

I read 90% of Thai university students go to brothels and 75% of Thai men have been with child prostitutes.

If you read that the moon was made of green cheese would you believe that too? Do you really believe that 15 million Thai men have had sex with a child?

She was talking about a Thai men, not farang. Most of the women bonking farang for money (including our wives) have their Thai guy they're supporting (and bonking) on the side. Back home they'd be called pimps.

My ex-wife is now making a lot more money than me in the bar biz in Pattaya, and once in a while she sends me money to help out with the kids' school fees and such. I suppose that makes me a pimp now. . .

Always best to establish the rules before you enter a contract.

Wyatt Earp was giving his brother hell for his ho gf, his brother told him, your just jealous cuz you have to pay for it. Best advice, keep your ho working is my take away from that. from 'Wyatt Earp' (1994)

OK fine. But she don't have to work in a bar in pattaya.

Apparently that is where the money is, since that seems to be the utopia for these girls to earn their pot of gold.

OK Poach

Marry somebody who is looking for a pot of gold and it could end in tears, unless you and her are prepared to go 50-50. A business contract.

If she works in a bar that could make the guy a pimp......but I'm not judging. 60-40 in her favour and I'd begin to ask questions.

What a boring article. But interesting to see a completely different take on bargirls in general than the usually we read on TV. Such as the quote below from the article from an ex bar girl.

"No life is good life, it just depends on what you make of it," she says in her broken English. Her husband left her two years after her second child was born. "In Thailand, women do no fear being alone, we know that is the reality. I think my husband had married me for the money I had," Julia observes stoically.

http://www.asiasenti...4281&Itemid=392

As it is, you have seen only 1 part of life. I see this a lot even in Philippines, where in some segments of their society , some of their men are absolutely useless - lazy and drink most of the tine. How in the world they can ever convinced some women to "marry" them is a wonder. Not really married, but live-in, and at the woman's house too. What's worse, little or young step-daughters got abuse

very often. It;s'probably happening here too.

You can take a girl out of the bar,...........but you cant take the bar out of the girl !

You can take a girl out of the bar,...........but you cant take the bar out of the girl !

At the end of short time you usually can....sometimes even earlier.

''usually" NO, possibly , maybe

You can if she didn't want to be there in the first place.

And I've got a sneaky feeling its even possible if she did want to be there in the first place.

What a boring article. But interesting to see a completely different take on bargirls in general than the usually we read on TV. Such as the quote below from the article from an ex bar girl.

"No life is good life, it just depends on what you make of it," she says in her broken English. Her husband left her two years after her second child was born. "In Thailand, women do no fear being alone, we know that is the reality. I think my husband had married me for the money I had," Julia observes stoically.

Not really sure what you find so boring.... actually it is a very interesting article.... if you care about the story(s). The bargirls...the mae chii's...and barely touched on; Thai society's continuing (mis) treatment of woman. It is a sad story that a Thai male can run around doing whoever he feels, leaving children in his wake, while the woman are left to fend for the (his) children, themselves and her parents who are now looking after the children. The Thai male seldom supports, and although their may be a legal requirement to do so, it is not enforced by Thai courts. This drives many woman as the article states into prostitution, as a 6000 baht a month job just won't do it.

People who look down on these "prostitutes" live in a fantasy world. There are many factors which motivate some people to do whatever it is that they do. Sometimes it is as simple as "survival", with the skills or assets that they currently possess. For those of us that do not have a need to consider "survival".....we are truly among the luckiest people on the planet, for most of the planet "survives".

Very well put. One would think some of these moralistic nitwits would come up with a alternative. I am sure many of the girls would flock to their ideas.

My mother would never approve of it but she would never say a word against them because she had no answer. She maintained that most of the loud mouths against various things would not lift a finger to help the people they are trying to persecute.

Not really sure what you find so boring.... actually it is a very interesting article.... if you care about the story(s). The bargirls...the mae chii's...and barely touched on; Thai society's continuing (mis) treatment of woman. It is a sad story that a Thai male can run around doing whoever he feels, leaving children in his wake, while the woman are left to fend for the (his) children, themselves and her parents who are now looking after the children. The Thai male seldom supports, and although their may be a legal requirement to do so, it is not enforced by Thai courts. This drives many woman as the article states into prostitution, as a 6000 baht a month job just won't do it.

People who look down on these "prostitutes" live in a fantasy world. There are many factors which motivate some people to do whatever it is that they do. Sometimes it is as simple as "survival", with the skills or assets that they currently possess. For those of us that do not have a need to consider "survival".....we are truly among the luckiest people on the planet, for most of the planet "survives".

Very well put. One would think some of these moralistic nitwits would come up with a alternative. I am sure many of the girls would flock to their ideas.

My mother would never approve of it but she would never say a word against them because she had no answer. She maintained that most of the loud mouths against various things would not lift a finger to help the people they are trying to persecute.

Many words. I'm hoping I'm getting the gist of this argument correctly before I put my foot in it.