U.S. teacher shot dead by student in Iraq

News_Editor

U.S. teacher shot dead by student in Iraq

2012-03-03 02:59:51 GMT+7 (ICT)

SULAYMANIYAH, Iraq (BNO NEWS) -- An American teacher who worked at a Christian school in northern Iraq was shot dead by a teacher on Thursday, according to media reports on Friday. The student then killed himself.

Jeremiah Small, of Cosmopolis, Grays Harbor County, located in the state of Washington, was killed by a student at the English-speaking Medes School, located in Sulaymaniyah, in Iraq's Kurdistan region, the Seattle Times reported.

The shooter was identified as 18-year-old Biyar Sardar al Talabani who killed Small before shooting himself. The student later succumbed to the gunshot injury at a local hospital.

The motive behind the killing remains unclear, as Iraq's Kurdish Region, which is located northeast of Baghdad, the country's capital, has been a relatively peaceful region with little terrorist activity compared to other areas.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-03-03

"The motive behind the killing remains unclear........."

Hmmm, christian school, muslim student, proscribed penalties for (attempted or actual) conversion, "Advance to paradise" token for defenders of the faith. I could take an uninformed guess.

• Like 2

The area is a quite liberal area and is not known for much fundamentalist activity. Emotional responses in the area have been centered around the divide between the two political Kurdish factions (with a linguistic difference as well) and the divide between Kurds and Arabs. Religion has played an almost insignificant role in conflict in that area. There is a rather large Kurdish Christian community which lived pretty much conflict free with the Muslims.

SULAYMANIYAH, Iraq (BNO NEWS) -- An American teacher who worked at a Christian school in northern Iraq was shot dead by a teacher on Thursday, according to media reports on Friday. The student then killed himself.

Good proof reading.

Hmmm, christian school, muslim student, proscribed penalties for (attempted or actual) conversion, "Advance to paradise" token for defenders of the faith. I could take an uninformed guess.

It would be a very uniformed guess. No one said the student was Muslim and in fact there is a relatively large Christian group in Kurdistan. Kurdistan is also very pro American. I doubt religion has anything to do with the shooting. I've worked in Kurdistan for several years.

It would be a very uniformed guess. No one said the student was Muslim and in fact there is a relatively large Christian group in Kurdistan. Kurdistan is also very pro American. I doubt religion has anything to do with the shooting. I've worked in Kurdistan for several years.

That's why I said uninformed.

There is no country of Kurdistan, but there is a widely acknowledged Kurdish area which covers parts of Turkey, Iraq and Iran. The majority of the population in the area are Kurdish. The people of Iraq are mostly Arab, not Persian.

There is no KURDISTAN, not as a country and also not as a region !

and the iraks are not Arabs they are persians !!

Population of Iraq is very much Arab.

"According to the Central Intelligence Agency, Arabs form 75%-80% of the Iraqi population, followed by 15%-20% Kurds, and Turkoman, Assyrian, or other make up 5% of the population."

For proper source, see: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/iz.html

Persian is the majority population of Iran, with Arabs making up disproportionally large amount of the Religious Police.