How To Get To The Land Transport Place Via The Dark Side?

Guderian

I have to renew the tax on my motorbike in a couple of weeks. Rather than going the obvious way, Sukhumvit and then Route 36, I want to try something that may be more interesting and peaceful, and cut through the Dark Side from Thepprasit. Looking at Google Earth and various maps, it's a maze over there and I don't see any obvious direct route. I don't know the Dark Side at all, and only generally go there to get bacon from Western Foods down on Chaiyapruk 2, or else use the road along the railway line as an easy way to get to the likes of Numchai or Index. The roads don't seem to be very well signposted from what I have seen.

So can anybody give me directions how to get from Soi Kao Talo, which is where I would most probably cross over to the Dark Side from Thepprasit, and end up at the Land Transport place on Route 36, going via the roads on the Dark Side?

Morning,

If you can get onto Siam Country Club road then follow it all the way to the golf course, stay on the main road and pass the course entrances and go past the UNI. Keep going and you will come out by the Bira circuit, go left and you will come to the place you need.

Paul1.

Morning,

If you can get onto Siam Country Club road then follow it all the way to the golf course, stay on the main road and pass the course entrances and go past the UNI. Keep going and you will come out by the Bira circuit, go left and you will come to the place you need.

Paul1.

Thanks, that sounds pretty simple. I believe that I can just follow the railway line until I hit Soi SCC, but how do I identify it, is it signposted? What is the UNI that you mention?

You're right, the roads aren't very well signposted.

Here's a possible route:

http://maps.google.c...171979,0.162048

Since you aren't very familiar with the area, it would be difficult to do without a smartphone with GPS capabilities on a motorbike.

Looking at the maps, that's what I thought, but I went for the Cheap Charlie option on the Honda Click and passed on the GPS satnav. An error in hindsight...

Aren't you able to renew the tax at any of the bigger Motocycle Shop (Mityon example (or where you bought your bike) for an additional charge ?

Yes, that's what I usually do. This time though I have misplaced the green book so I will have to turn up in person with the bike to get a new one, and tax it at the same time. I could take Suk/Road 36, but it's boring and I wanted to try something more prosaic through an area I haven't visited before.

Morning,

Paul1.

Thanks, that sounds pretty simple. I believe that I can just follow the railway line until I hit Soi SCC, but how do I identify it, is it signposted? What is the UNI that you mention?

It isn't simple. Let me walk you through it.

1. When you get on Siam CC Road you will follow it past the lake and straight ahead through the overhead arch. Follow that road until you arrive at Siam CC, clearly marked.

2. Instead of entering the Club, you will turn left and be on a somewhat narrow two lane road with lots of baht buses parked around. Travel about 200-300 meters on this country lane and you will take the first paved left turn.

3. This road will take you past the university, from whence it will take a few bends and turns. Follow it for perhaps 2 kilometers until you reach a stop sign.

4. At the stop sign, take a right turn followed almost immediately with a left turn which will take you along the side of Bira Race Track and will lead directly to highway 36. Turn left and you are on 36.

I always use the Highway 7.

I start Soi Kaotalo, follow the bypass and enter Highway 7 near Pattaya Nua.

Leave it at the second exit (Road 36), follow the signpost "Banglamung", pass "Regents school" and then left after ~400 meter.

Quick and easy, by far the best way...IMHO

Google Maps

Or, if you don't like the Highway, you can drive the bypass to the end, then go Road 36.

Not much traffic after Soi Siam Country also

Edited by vel_tins

Morning,

Paul1.

It isn't simple. Let me walk you through it.

1. When you get on Siam CC Road you will follow it past the lake and straight ahead through the overhead arch. Follow that road until you arrive at Siam CC, clearly marked.

2. Instead of entering the Club, you will turn left and be on a somewhat narrow two lane road with lots of baht buses parked around. Travel about 200-300 meters on this country lane and you will take the first paved left turn.

3. This road will take you past the university, from whence it will take a few bends and turns. Follow it for perhaps 2 kilometers until you reach a stop sign.

4. At the stop sign, take a right turn followed almost immediately with a left turn which will take you along the side of Bira Race Track and will lead directly to highway 36. Turn left and you are on 36.

Thanks, I'll print that out.

I always use the Highway 7.

I start Soi Kaotalo, follow the bypass and enter Highway 7 near Pattaya Nua.

Leave it at the second exit (Road 36), follow the signpost "Banglamung", pass "Regents school" and then left after ~400 meter.

Quick and easy, by far the best way...IMHO

Google Maps

Or, if you don't like the Highway, you can drive the bypass to the end, then go Road 36.

Not much traffic after Soi Siam Country also

Are mopeds allowed on Highway 7? I thought it was classified as motorway so they aren't.

If I took the other option and followed the bypass all the way to Road 36, how do I turn right? Is there a nearby U-turn place, or would I have to go back to Suk and turn around?

I take my truck to the body shop that I use on Sukhumvit in Naklua. They also arrange my insurance. They take the truck away to a place in the little soi connecting Soi Potisan and Bangkok Hospital and return after 30 minutes or so with tax disk and MOT testing done. No additional charge as the proprietor is a good friend and he gets all my business. No trips out to the boonies since 2003.

Your easiest option is to go to a bike shop, and pay them the extra charge (about 200 baht), give them the book and pay your money. You get all the stuff back in a few days.

Next easiest is to go to the top (inland) end of Kaotalo. Turn left and drive on a straight road until Naemplawan (T-junction). Turn right and go up to Wat at the end. Turn left. You really do need a map, as this road meanders a lot, but it can bring you to the building you seek. It's quite a simple drive across country.

The easiest way has been explained here already but a little confusing for a person who has never done it. Let me just simplify it a bit:

1) Get on SSCC and head out to the golf course (clearly marked)

2) Pass the golf course until you are at hi-way 36 and turn left

3) Turn left just past Regent school. THATS IT !!!!!!

If you get lost just ask anyone "Regent yu nai" Every mototaxi driver, person etc. knows Regent.

Are mopeds allowed on Highway 7? I thought it was classified as motorway so they aren't.

If I took the other option and followed the bypass all the way to Road 36, how do I turn right? Is there a nearby U-turn place, or would I have to go back to Suk and turn around?

Good question, I always see a lot of them, when driving Highway 7 by car, but if its legel?

The bypass ends a few meters from the junction 36/Sukhumvit. Than turn left and after ~150-200m meters there is a U-Turn.

I always use the bypass when I go back from the DLT.

But for going to DLT the other option is better (but not sure about mopeds)

Thanks for the replies. I'll take some sandwiches and cold drinks and make an afternoon out of it.

If you make an afternoon out of it I can see you going back again the next day too. Best to get there early in the morning if you need a new green book. You might or might not get it the same day even if you are there at 8:30am

Thanks for the replies. I'll take some sandwiches and cold drinks and make an afternoon out of it.

If you make an afternoon out of it I can see you going back again the next day too. Best to get there early in the morning if you need a new green book. You might or might not get it the same day even if you are there at 8:30am

Really? I'd read elsewhere that it was a simple process, so I'd hoped I could get the green book and then tax the bike at the same time.

Really? I'd read elsewhere that it was a simple process, so I'd hoped I could get the green book and then tax the bike at the same time.

I don't think so mate. Do you have a scanned copy of your old book in your name? That would help for sure but even if you are going there for a simple thing like registering a bike or changing your license etc. you still need to get there early in the morning as possible.

Let us know how things go as I have never had to replace a green-book and am very curious how this will go but like I say I wouldn't show up at 1:30 expecting to get it done that day. TIT

Oha, no book...I read over this part.

Imho you won't get a new book in Banglamung. I think you have to go to Chonburi for a new book. (BUT NOT SURE!)

It seems, Banglamung is only useful for the "very simple things", like tax renewal, transfer of ownership from a Choburi plated Bike, driving licenses.

For anything else "more complicated", you have to go to Chonburi.

Even a simple transfer of ownership, from a "non Chonburi" bike, requires three(!) trips to Chonburi.

Banglamung "cannot"..angry.png

So, I am not very optimistic for the OP

Edited by vel_tins