Exchange Jersey Pound In Bangkok

I was at BKK airport this morning and I was approached by a guy from Jersey. He asked for help changing JEP to THB. He explained that none of the exchange booths accepted JEP , despite him explaining that it was linked to GBP and there shouldn't be a problem. I could understand why they wouldn't accept it as even I didnt I didn't know JEP existed..

All he had was JEP in cash..... No GBP or THB. I did the right thing and gave him some THB in exchange for the JEP as he needed some cash to tie him over until tomorrow (Monday)

I told him to call the British Embassy or go to a main office of a major bank. HSBC in Thong Lo may help as they have a presence in the Chanel islands.

Question, would the British embassy help him?

Has anyone else had this problem, possibly with Scottish notes?

Just curious

Well... let's start with the fact the EVERYBODY living on the Jersey's would know that their own banknotes are accepted ONLY on their own island and on some of the neighbouring islands...

So reading your post leaves me with three options:

1) your post is a troll post...

2) the guy from Jersey is genuine but a real idiot

3) if all you write is genuine, you just bought yourself some expensive paper coming out of a cheap laser printer... specially taking the fact that you write that you were not aware that this money even exists... then get yourself ready to face some not so nice descriptions for your buying that paper...

Would bet some decent money on option 3)

Anybody holding that bet?

coffee1.gif Well, that;s a new one. I never heard of them either, but then I'm an American.

Apaarently however, they do exist (I looked them up on WikiPedia).

But:

Both Jersey and Bank of England notes are legal tender in Jersey and circulate together, alongside the Guernesy Pound and Scottish banknotes. Although the Jersey notes are not legal tender in the United Kingdom, creditors and traders may accept them if they so choose.

So my guess, is there is no way to exchange them here in Thailand...unless possibly if he finds a money changer, but I doubt that.

I used to work in the Faroe Isalnds. They are a self-governing part of Denmark. They have their own currency, the Faroese Kroner which can be exchanged at a one-to-one parity in Denmark for Danish Kroner.

There is no bank in Thailand that will accept Faroese kroner...which is why I always made sure to get Danish Kroner for my Faroese Kroner at the airport in Copenhagen before I left. You can exchange Danish Kroner for Baht here in Thailand.

licklips.gif

P.S. I've seen topics on this forum before about Scottish pounds also. Banks here in Thailand may accept them, but many don't.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

I am assuming that they are still paper, I have some £1 notes from Jersey in the UK. Notes should be OK if you choose the right Bank,but if they have gone to coins you are going to be stuck. Tried to change some Euro coins here and banks did not want to know, paper donominations are accepted.

It is a strange logic to be sure to come here with Jersey pounds and hope for the best, a litle research would have been in order before departure.

Well... let's start with the fact the EVERYBODY living on the Jersey's would know that their own banknotes are accepted ONLY on their own island and on some of the neighbouring islands...

3) if all you write is genuine, you just bought yourself some expensive paper coming out of a cheap laser printer... specially taking the fact that you write that you were not aware that this money even exists... then get yourself ready to face some not so nice descriptions for your buying that paper...

I gave the guy 900 Baht for the £20 note.

I was shocked that he only had Jersey pounds with him. He admitted it isn't accepted in the UK as he took it to Gatwick thinking he could change it to Baht there - he couldn't, hence the wallet full of notes.

I felt for the guy, he was in a state of panic. I could see that he just wanted to have a nice holiday and he was planning on going to Laos. The least I could do was help the poor guy out. It's the least I could do.

So it's a combination of options 2 & 3 of your assumptions.

An interesting variation of the Nigerian scams

I was at BKK airport this morning and I was approached by a guy from Jersey. He asked for help changing JEP to THB. He explained that none of the exchange booths accepted JEP , despite him explaining that it was linked to GBP and there shouldn't be a problem. I could understand why they wouldn't accept it as even I didnt I didn't know JEP existed..

All he had was JEP in cash..... No GBP or THB. I did the right thing and gave him some THB in exchange for the JEP as he needed some cash to tie him over until tomorrow (Monday)

I told him to call the British Embassy or go to a main office of a major bank. HSBC in Thong Lo may help as they have a presence in the Chanel islands.

Just curious

I remember very well about 20 years ago in my time as a backpacker on low funds being delighted to find 30 forgotten pounds in a pocket in my rucksack in my last few days in BKK and totally skint - enough to fund a couple of good nights out - much to my dismay they were Scottish notes and NONE of the exchange booths in the Khao San area of BKK would touch them. I went as far as the BKK bank head office in Silom without success.

Finally met a couple from the UK who were going home that night who were kind enough to assist.

Sang Thip all round!!

Just curious

I remember very well about 20 years ago in my time as a backpacker on low funds being delighted to find 30 forgotten pounds in a pocket in my rucksack in my last few days in BKK and totally skint - enough to fund a couple of good nights out - much to my dismay they were Scottish notes and NONE of the exchange booths in the Khao San area of BKK would touch them. I went as far as the BKK bank head office in Silom without success.

Finally met a couple from the UK who were going home that night who were kind enough to assist.

Sang Thip all round!!

I refuse to believe that any bona fide resident of Jersey would not be aware that the Jerseay Pound is not even legal tender in the United Kingdom.

• Like 1

I refuse to believe that any bona fide resident of Jersey would not be aware that the Jerseay Pound is not even legal tender in the United Kingdom.

I'm all for living in the moment, but how do people travel to a foreign country and not check these things ahead of time? preferibly with people already there?

"2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from TV android app.

I gave the guy 900 Baht for the £20 note.

I was shocked that he only had Jersey pounds with him. He admitted it isn't accepted in the UK as he took it to Gatwick thinking he could change it to Baht there - he couldn't, hence the wallet full of notes.

I felt for the guy, he was in a state of panic. I could see that he just wanted to have a nice holiday and he was planning on going to Laos. The least I could do was help the poor guy out. It's the least I could do.

So it's a combination of options 2 & 3 of your assumptions.

Good for you.

900 Baht is worth the chance that the case was genuine.

We are not all as "worldly" as most of the members here and dismiss each and any story as a scam. Sometimes you can take a chance on someone.

smile.png

I'm surprised that he wasn't able to exchange the money in the UK, but it certainly doesn't surprise me that he can't exchange it here.

I lived in Scotland a few years ago, and always had trouble spending Scottish pounds when I was down south. But I laughed when after being to Northern Ireland, I had trouble spending their notes in Scotland.

Fact 1 northern ireland, Scotland, Jersey, isle of man, falkland island, Gibraltar, st helena and a few others issue their own notes which incidentally are denominated or called pound. Their values are at parity with the English sterling pound. All these countries issue their own currency based on equivalent deposits with the bank of England. Meaning if jersey deposits 1 million english pound with the bank of England, in exchange the bank of England will authorize them to print 1 million jersey pounds. Thus making them recognized and redeemable at the bank of england.

Fact 2 ,legal tender is confined to the territory of the issuing country. For example, a us dollar is only legal tender in the us and their protectorate such as Guam. Anywhere outside of those territory, you can choose to reject them. Being accepted as payments in other territory does note mean it is legal tender there.

Fact 3. Money changers makes money by buying in low and selling them high. Would you buy a currency that nobody wants to buy? Therefore depending on the geographic location, the local money changers have a groups of active currencies and a group of exotic currency.

Exotic currency if accepted will usually have a very big spread between the buy and sell rate.

Coins are generally not accepted by most money changers due to the weight and value. Would you accept 1 or 2 pound coins when you go to the local money changer for 500 pounds?

Edited by thai4me

I reckon it's #2.

You are to be commended for doing a good deed.

Who in their right mind would travel overseas and not ensure you are able to access funds. It is so easy to get money from the ATM.

You can sleep good even if you are 900baht lighter.

The magic words on a UK bank note is POUNDS STERLING so go HSBC and they should change them.

You got normal Pounds for England and Wales, Northern irish pounds, Scottish pounds, Jersey pounds Gurneys pounds and Isle of Man pounds all are Pounds Sterling, English notes are printed by The bank of england all the other note have different banks printing then.

I hope that helps

Mac

coffee1.gif Well, that;s a new one. I never heard of them either, but then I'm an American.

But:

Both Jersey and Bank of England notes are legal tender in Jersey and circulate together, alongside the Guernesy Pound and Scottish banknotes. Although the Jersey notes are not legal tender in the United Kingdom, creditors and traders may accept them if they so choose.

So my guess, is there is no way to exchange them here in Thailand...unless possibly if he finds a money changer, but I doubt that.

I used to work in the Faroe Isalnds. They are a self-governing part of Denmark. They have their own currency, the Faroese Kroner which can be exchanged at a one-to-one parity in Denmark for Danish Kroner.

There is no bank in Thailand that will accept Faroese kroner...which is why I always made sure to get Danish Kroner for my Faroese Kroner at the airport in Copenhagen before I left. You can exchange Danish Kroner for Baht here in Thailand.

licklips.gif

P.S. I've seen topics on this forum before about Scottish pounds also. Banks here in Thailand may accept them, but many don't.

you know i never knew the faroes was under the sovereingty of denmark, learn something new every day....to the op I would never have done what you did just in case its a scam, Im into helping people but if the fella was genuine then he must be genuinely stupid aswell....

But:

licklips.gif

you know i never knew the faroes was under the sovereingty of denmark, learn something new every day....to the op I would never have done what you did just in case its a scam, Im into helping people but if the fella was genuine then he must be genuinely stupid aswell....

Bingo !

i nipped across to laos for a border run last year (iv been a few times before), i had no thai baht left after id paid my 5 days overstay and no kip but assumed my atm card would work as usual. i got to the guest house but no chance he would let me check in before i got money so i walked about a mile to the atm, card wouldnt work so i tried anthr one then anthr 2 or 3, not a hope! so walked all the way back, got my bag from reception where id kinda stupidly left it with £2500 in english cash in it then walked all the way back to find a money changer only to find it was sunday and they were shut! drenched in sweat walked back to guest house and offered the guy £40 till the nxt day just to get in a room for a shower, no chance! then had a brainwave, phone my uk bank and get my card activated for laos, only to find i had no credit and couldnt top up my uk phone using any network there so im stuck in vientiane with no means communication, no local cash, no room, £2500 in a bag, soaking wet with sweat, starving hungry and dying for a beer, what a bloody nightmare! hadnt a clue what to do when i heard english accents so i asked a man and his wife could they help me, not a prob said the man, so we went his hotel, changed money,i went back to my guesthouse, quick shower and back out to meet him for beers which turned into a brilliant night out and all ended well thank god! !i got so drunk in the nightclub that night that when i woke in the morning i hadnt a clue where i was, turned out a woman had taken me back to her shop in her car as she said i was so drunk, so id spent the night on a shop floor! she even gave me a lift back to the border that afternoon just for the price of the petrol

so always make dam_n sure u have an atm card that works and local currency in ur pocket!!

i always try to help people if they are stuck, i like to think what goes around comes around, as they say, its nice to be nice!.

i nipped across to laos for a border run last year (iv been a few times before), i had no thai baht left after id paid my 5 days overstay and no kip but assumed my atm card would work as usual. i got to the guest house but no chance he would let me check in before i got money so i walked about a mile to the atm, card wouldnt work so i tried anthr one then anthr 2 or 3, not a hope! so walked all the way back, got my bag from reception where id kinda stupidly left it with £2500 in english cash in it then walked all the way back to find a money changer only to find it was sunday and they were shut! drenched in sweat walked back to guest house and offered the guy £40 till the nxt day just to get in a room for a shower, no chance! then had a brainwave, phone my uk bank and get my card activated for laos, only to find i had no credit and couldnt top up my uk phone using any network there so im stuck in vientiane with no means communication, no local cash, no room, £2500 in a bag, soaking wet with sweat, starving hungry and dying for a beer, what a bloody nightmare! hadnt a clue what to do when i heard english accents so i asked a man and his wife could they help me, not a prob said the man, so we went his hotel, changed money,i went back to my guesthouse, quick shower and back out to meet him for beers which turned into a brilliant night out and all ended well thank god! !i got so drunk in the nightclub that night that when i woke in the morning i hadnt a clue where i was, turned out a woman had taken me back to her shop in her car as she said i was so drunk, so id spent the night on a shop floor! she even gave me a lift back to the border that afternoon just for the price of the petrol

so always make dam_n sure u have an atm card that works and local currency in ur pocket!!

i always try to help people if they are stuck, i like to think what goes around comes around, as they say, its nice to be nice!.

Great story, one that you will carry with you for a long time.