Cheap Piano Keyboard For Kid.

seefah

I'm thinking of getting a piano keyboard for my kid, but just a cheap one to start with to see if the interest is there or not.

I see there is a small stall selling keyboards in Big C Extra (previously Carrefour) and also in Lotus North Pattaya, different brands. Anyone had experience with these cheaper brands?

Anywhere else selling similarly priced keyboards?

Suriya music have a Yamaha electric Keyboard for around 9,000 baht, I can;t remember the exact model, but an entry level keyboard isn't that much, you would be able to get at least 1/2 your money back or more if you got one of these and decided to sell it later.

Check this out too http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&twu=1&u=http://www.thaimusiccenter.com/store/product/view/Yamaha_PSR_E233-17596496-th.html&usg=ALkJrhgU_i8LJJj8WAFtvJH55r_EaCdUlQ

Yeah the ones I have seen were about 2,000 - 2,500 Baht with stand. Several not well known brand (China brands I'd suspect), just need to decide on which might not break with short use.

That ThaiMusicCenter web site has okay prices too, so thanks for that. For now its just a cheap one, but good advice on resale of brand name if I needed to.

Depends on how old your kid is. Our daughter had her cheapo BIG C keyboard at the age of 18 months and it took her about 2 days to figure out how to switch those pre-programmed melodies on.

She also does her own compositions now which are strongly influenced by Schoenberg and Penderetzki...

If your kid is older, baz' advise for a keyboard in the 10k range is a better option as these keyboards have larger keys (as they should be) and better sounds. As in all hobby stuff from music over golf to diving, the sky is the limit and there is always gear that is more expensive. If the interest in music grows, you can always knock the old gear off on the second hand market and go for something better.

They are fine for the price, they're like 2,000 baht or so, limited downside. A good quality electric piano is 100,000 baht up. You get what you pay for.

Got a good Yamaha electric piano a couple of years ago for only 30,000 Baht. For 100k you're looking more at acoustic uprights.

Raro is right. Depends on the kids age etc but those cheap ones at Big-C etc. are actually pretty good and can even be plugged into a PA system if needed.(For a starter)

• 4 months later...

I forgot to post the outcome for this subject, so here it is.

So a couple of months ago I was looking for a keyboard for my young kid, I ended up getting a SK XTS-5089 with legs for 2,400 Baht from upstairs in Tesco Lotus South Pattaya. This keyboard is also branded as Angel upstairs in Big C Extra, though not sure if that stall has moved on now. The keyboard I got can power from mains power, but also can be powered by battery, though I've not tried that. Came with a cheap microphone too.

The other main cheap brand available here is Beethoven (spelling?) that I found in Tesco Lotus North Pattaya, however on the keyboards I tested I couldn't hold a cord with the left hand and play notes with the right hand, the right hand produced no sound. The SK XTS keyboard I got could do cords and notes fine together. If you are looking for a keyboard, then that might be something to test out. For my kid that's a little off yet, still chop stick finger playing at the moment, but the main thing is that the keyboard is easy enough to work out and enjoyable.

One small annoyance is that the key stickers are numbered instead of lettered, maybe its done this way to allow Thai kids to read the example sheet music, not sure.

By the way, there is also a 1,500 Baht smaller keyboard in Mike's Shopping Mall with half sized keys for much smaller hands and runs off mains or battery, but it also has the same issue of only a few keys can be pressed at the same time, add more notes together and they don't all sound.

I did ask the music center opposite Outlet Mall if they had lettered stickers for piano keys, but they only had numbered ones. Anyone know where to get lettered ones?

Edited by seefah

In case anyone is interested in a more advanced keyboard, a friend of mine is selling a Yamaha PSR-3000. I'm no expert but it seems to be all singing and all dancing. My friend has had it a few years but has hardly used it I believe. I've posted all the details in the classifieds in the Music & Movies section. He's looking for 30,000 Baht for it. Please PM me for details.