Finnish Tourist Dies In Phuket Motorbike Crash

webfact

Finnish Tourist Dies in Phuket Motorbike Crash

PHUKET: -- A Finnish Tourist who was vacationing in Phuket, Thailand lost his live last night in a motorbike crash. According to the Finnish Embassy in Thailand the crash happened Wednesday evening, killing the 32 year old Finnish citizen.

“We can confirm that a Finnish man lost his lives in a motorbike crash last night. I have just been speaking to the hospital and they said that a lady was on the bike as well and doctors are still operating on her,” says Julia Klamola, Consular Officer at the Finnish Embassy in Bangkok.

The identity of the Finnish man is known by ScandAsia, but family in Finland still need to be notified and the name will not be published until that has happened. The identity of the passenger is unknown at this time.

Source: http://www.scandasia...75&coun_code=fi

-- scandasia.com 2012-03-08

footer_n.gif

And a tragic accident in Phuket...again...! Must be the deadliest province in Thailand for tourists and Thais alike so far this year.

I go there quite often for work and noticed that especially in the Patong and Rawai areas, nearly everybody drives around on motorbikes without a helmet.

And a tragic accident in Phuket...again...! Must be the deadliest province in Thailand for tourists and Thais alike so far this year.

I go there quite often for work and noticed that especially in the Patong and Rawai areas, nearly everybody drives around on motorbikes without a helmet.

Tourists shouldn't be allowed to rent motorbikes as they have no idea how to drive in Thailand.

Tourists shouldn't be allowed to rent motorbikes as they have no idea how to drive in Thailand.

Tourists shouldn't be allowed to rent motorbikes as they have no idea how to drive.

I drive the coast roads on Phuket everyday and see many tourists struggling to control their scooters, clearly they have had little or no training. Even those that can ride chat whilst driving or look at the view instead of the road. It's only the fatalities that get reported, the number of accidents is many times greater.

Not surprising that many tourists have accidents as

1) there are so many tourists on Phuket Island,

2) many tourists are not used to driving on the left side of the road,

3) not many tourists have no experience of driving a motor bike,

4) Thais & tourists have very different driving styles and knowledge of 'highway code', this causes much confusion,

5) Phuket roads are very very busy with lots of high speed taxis & minibuses racing along the roads,

6) there is no affordable public transport/taxi system thus driving tourists to rent a bike.