Thai Postmark Date Ok For Us Tax Returns?

Thai Postmark date OK for US tax returns?

I have a US tax return due on March 15th does the postmark date of the Thai post office count for filing on time or does it need to be a US post mark?

Revenue Ruling 2002-23, 2002-18 IRB 811 seems to say that a Thai post mark will be fine - although it must be clear and easy to read.

Edited by TravelerEastWest

IRS regulations say that returns mailed before the due date will be considered timely if the envelope bears a legible, official postmark from a foreign postal service. If the return is late, however, the actual date of receipt is used. So, if you mail the return, be sure the postmark is readible.

Just for everyones clarification when you file your USA tax return from Thailand there is an automatic 60 day extension for most people in the USA taxes are due on April 15th therfore you are okay till June 15th this was my case last year.

It's probably OK for the day, but that 2055 year is going to have some penalties and interest accruing. Just kidding.

Laughing you are right.... Iused EMS so hopefully any issues can be resolved with online USPS information.

W11guy

The moral of the story is to get your tax return done earlier so that you don't have these issues.

I will try to reform wish me luck. Although actually the information I need is typically not available until the last minute.

Jimmiethe mook and Robbie22,

You are probably thinking about an individual return this is a return due March 15th -a calender year corporate tax return. So unless I am missing something (always possible) March 15th is the due date. Interestingly this type of return often has no tax due but still must be filed on time.

• 3 weeks later...

Just for everyones clarification when you file your USA tax return from Thailand there is an automatic 60 day extension for most people in the USA taxes are due on April 15th therfore you are okay till June 15th this was my case last year.

It's kind of automatic, but not exactly. I do believe you have to specifically include a note in your return claiming that 2-month extension. Just mailing the return from a Thailand postal location alone, absent the written claim, won't cut it.

Also, that's an extension to file...and an extension of time to pay without a late payment penalty. But you're still on the hook for accrued interest for any amount owed starting from the original domestic filing due date.

BTW, I went thru the postmark issue last year and it was an enormous hassle.

I mailed my return from Thailand within the two month extension window with the written claiming of the foreign resident extension. I sent it via registered mail with return receipt requested before the deadline, but it arrived at the U.S. IRS after the two month extension deadline.

I thought, no problem since I'd mailed and had it postmarked prior to the deadline. Not quite. A few months later, I got a letter back from the IRS with various things including a late filing penalty. And when I contacted the IRS office by telephone that handles expats' returns, the agent told me they don't record the postmark date on the received return, only the date it's received at the IRS..

I of course pointed out that the regulation specifies postmark date as the deadline. And what ensued was a long and involved appeals process I had to follow to request removal of the late filing penalty.

I had to send them copies of my Thai Post receipt, and then they promptly got confused by the Thai dating reference of putting the date first and month second, vs. the U.S. custom of doing the opposite, which required more phone calls and sending the receipt again with an explanatory note re the day/month dating references.

In the end, they finally waived the late filing penalty. But it was an enormous hassle and took a lot of time with repeated phone calls and sending of photocopied stuff. I never did get any clear explanation of why supposedly they're tracking/noting the arrival date of returns, but not the postmark date, in their system.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

coffee1.gif Yes, of course.

However there are some points to know.

Register it, and get a reciept....pay the fee for that.

That way you have proof you mailed it if it doesn't arrive. Also supposedly it can be tracked...but like anything in Thailand...no sure thing there.

Do you realise that living outside of the U.S. you can get an extension of the filing date from 15 April to 15 June? IRS allows a 60 day entemsion of filing date...but you should attach a letter to your tax forms (on top) requesting that extension and giving your foriegn address.

One caveat on that 60 day extension however. If you file and owe unpaid taxes any interest on that unpaid taxes starts as of 15 April even if you take that 60 day filing extension until 15 June.

Also, if filing with an overseas residence address....I mean the address you claim as your residence is not in the U.S.; you don't file to your U.S. state IRS office. There is a seperate IRS office for all taxpayers filing from a international residence you should file your return to.

It's all found on the IRS web site at www.IRS.gov

Don't file your return with a residence outside the U.S. to your state IRS office...because they're all idiots and will fork up and delay your paperwork getting to the right people. (I speak from hard-learned experience here).

licklips.gif

P.S. Seriously, the level of incompetance shown by the IRS is exceeded only by the Social Security people,