Dog Breeders In Pattaya

minipeter

Hiya,

After living here a year and moving into a new house, I've deiced to get a dog. I don't think it would be a good thing to purchase a dog from alot of the 'pet stores' or on theperasit road night market as the conditions are awful and I've heard a few too many stories of the dog dying fairly quickly due to illness.

Anyway, I was hoping some people could link me or direct me to some reputable dog breeders in pattaya. I've looked on the classified's section but can't see much recently that isn't bulldog/pitbull, which isn't the type of dog I'm looking for.

If I had first choice I would like an airedale terrier and would go half way across the country to get one, sadly though via a thorough google search I can't seem to locate one. So any golden retriever puppies or any other type of breed that people know of locally? Maybe labrador puppies or something?

To reitterate I'm not looking for a pitbull/bulldog/doberman/ridgeback/ shih tzu, which i find rules out the majority of dogs I've seen advertised or seen..

Thanks for the help!!!!

Edited by minipeter

You are right not to buy a dog from anywhere that it cannot be proved it has been well bred. Our much loved pomeranian recently died at the age of 8. We foolishly bought the lovely little fellow from a local seller who got him from who knows where. He was ill when we got him and died of an hereditary heart disease.

We want another pomeranian and as we want to be sure (well at least have a decent chance) of having a healthy dog with a good lifespan, then we have taken advice from various people and are doing the following:-

- get as many dog magazines as you can. Some are in Thai and English, some just Thai. Carrefour (now Big C) has a lot of them. The other bookshops have some of them as well.

- In one magazines (SHAMU) there is a list of clubs and organizations.

- We contacted the Kennel Club Of Thailand to see if they recommended anyone who breeds pomeranians. The Kennel Club is listed in Shamu as 02-990 3618, 02-990-3428-9.

- We have now settled on 2 pomeranian breeders in Bangkok and will go there next month.

-I dont know anything about terriers, but the Terrier Club Of Thailand is listed iin Shamu as 02-918-8225. Some of the numbers are wrongly listed so sorry if this number is incorrect. There are some Terrier breeders listed in Shamu as well - they are Boston Terrier - 081-9222816 and Fox Terrier 081-8812375. I would ask the Terrier Club if they know of any good terrier Breeders.

Good luck with finding your new 'family member' and dont be talked into buying a 'market' or 'pet shop' dog, or like us, in a few years time you will be mourning your much loved pet.

Edited by dsfbrit

We bought our dog from the petshop opposite foodlands in 2003 with all the paperwork and certification you would expect. He is alive and well so I have to disagree with your comment in regards to all pet shops.

The owner of the pet shop was so embarrassed by her lack of English when dealing with me that she went and studied. This led to an increase in business, meeting a nice Scandinavian fellow and now living abroad where she opened a start up design company 2 years ago (after further study) . We communicate via Facebook often and all because she ran a credible and professional pet shop with integrity, honesty and a perfect attitude / work ethic.

Sent from Android please excuse errors in type or judgement

Edited by 2unique

2Unique, I am pleased to hear your dog is alive and well and I am sure there are dogs in pet shops that are healthy and have been well bred. The trouble is for every positive story such as yours, there are many many more stories similar to mine.

I would point out, and I do it with no pleasure at all, that your dog, like my dog, was also born in 2003 and he died last week - so the fact that your dog is now 8 years old and still alive sadly proves nothing. Contact me when he is 16 and you may have proven your point.

I am sorry to be so blunt, but I am really upset at the loss of my dog at such an early age, and the fact that the pet shop owner is a 'nice' person and learning English is irrelevant to this discussion.

The point I am making is that if you get your puppy from a reputable breeder, with a proven track record, then the chance of your dog living a long and healthy life is greater than buying your dog from a pet shop or market where they just deal in dogs and get them from various breeders.

As for certificates, our much loved little dog came with a certificate that said he was a PAPILLLON - ie a butterfly dog - which he clearly was not - he was a pomaranian/cross breed - bless him.

I believe a down-side to getting a dog from a breeder is that they can have the character (ie 'naughtiness') bred out of them, apart from that I would advise anyone who wants a healthy dog to go to a reputable breeder, found by using the methods I mentioned above.

Edited by dsfbrit

I can entirely understand the OP wanting a dog of a particular breed, but if I can make an alternative suggestion......why not visit a dog rescue centre on the off chance of finding a dog there that would fit the bill. It would be a kind act and there are many perfectly good dogs that are abandoned for one reason or another. I rememder reading on ThaiVisa recently about a guy living up near Mabprachan who had a large number of rescued dogs.

2Unique, I am pleased to hear your dog is alive and well and I am sure there are dogs in pet shops that are healthy and have been well bred. The trouble is for every positive story such as yours, there are many many more stories similar to mine...

Our dog turned 9 in January 2012 and our certificate was correct in all details along with supporting paperwork from the breeder (with details should we have wished to verify) so in as much as I do agree with your suggestion and realise we were lucky as much as we were prepared, I didn't think it was right for you to dismiss all pet shops

- and had i have listened to a similar post back in 2003 then this person's life would not have changed for the better (relevancy).

Therefore I felt compelled to speak out.