UK pensions

Overseas migrants aren't a burden on the UK despite what you may think.

Other than the advantage of free NHS, they aren't entitled to claim any public funds.

They either have to be self sufficient or sponsored.

It's the EU migrants that have 'carte blanche' in the UK.

As long as the UK is in the EU they are powerless to stop the migration of other EU citizens.

You must live in a different universe to the rest of us my old son ,immegrants from far and wide get social housing ,benifits and even those that jump off the back of a lorry in Dover get put up in bed and breakfast

• Like 2
i claudius, on 08 Feb 2015 - 09:26, said:
Faz, on 08 Feb 2015 - 08:55, said:

Actually if ever a party was to restore the parity to Pensions, I believe it would be a Labour government.

sorry ,where have you been ? it was the Labour party led by Tony Liar that faught tooth and nail up to the court of human rights to block pension increases for us and ensured there that it was not our human right to get them ,and honestly if anyone thinks that now when things are so tight ,that you are going to get parity ,then you will believe that there really are fairys at the bottom of your garden .

There are far to many "immegrants to Britain" and far to many good causes in places like India that need the govts money far more than us,sad.png

It was the 'fairies' that told me...................bet you don't believe in Santa Claus either. cheesy.gif

i claudius, on 08 Feb 2015 - 09:29, said:
Faz, on 07 Feb 2015 - 19:43, said:

Overseas migrants aren't a burden on the UK despite what you may think.

Other than the advantage of free NHS, they aren't entitled to claim any public funds.

They either have to be self sufficient or sponsored.

It's the EU migrants that have 'carte blanche' in the UK.

As long as the UK is in the EU they are powerless to stop the migration of other EU citizens.

You must live in a different universe to the rest of us my old son ,immegrants from far and wide get social housing ,benifits and even those that jump off the back of a lorry in Dover get put up in bed and breakfast

Nope! Your talking about refugees that claim asylum........different kettle of fish.

Overseas migrants have 'no recourse to public funds'.

Read this link: http://www.visalogic.net/uk/no-recourse-to-public-funds/4/142

Sorry we're going off topic!

As far as restoring parity to Pensions, I don't think we'll see any change within our lifetime, unless the UK and Thailand instigate bilateral agreements.

Having said that, I still believe it's unjust and we should carry on the argument for equality for all pensioners regardless of where we choose to live.

• Like 2

It's surprising that there hasn't been some legal action based on discrimination -- or did I miss something ?

You seem to be missing quite a lot jpinx smile.pngsmile.png ....... notably, the repeated confirmations that government agencies cannot access bank accounts or other external data.

jpinx, on 08 Feb 2015 - 11:09, said:

It's surprising that there hasn't been some legal action based on discrimination -- or did I miss something ?

European Court of Human Rights

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2010/mar/16/expat-britons-lose-pensions-appeal

Do not forget it was Tony Blair and the Labour govt that fought in the court of human rights to deny us our pension rises
  • Like 2

You seem to be missing quite a lot jpinx smile.pngsmile.png ....... notably, the repeated confirmations that government agencies cannot access bank accounts or other external data.

You've got me confused with someone else ;) Someone talked about legislation to be introduced which would allow HMRC access to bank accounts -- which I questioned, and then someone stated it as fact (nong I seem to remember) - which I refuted here (and elsewhere but I'm too lazy to search more) http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/540525-uk-pensions/page-37#entry9027325

:)

• Like 1
jpinx, on 08 Feb 2015 - 11:09, said:

European Court of Human Rights

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2010/mar/16/expat-britons-lose-pensions-appeal

Personally I think it is not a Human Rights violation -- it is a discrimination issue and needs to be tackled from that angle. There's plenty of anti-discrimination laws within UK and even more in EU -- we can bite this cherry multiple times until the politicians cave in.

• Like 2

You've got me confused with someone else wink.png Someone talked about legislation to be introduced which would allow HMRC access to bank accounts -- which I questioned, and then someone stated it as fact (nong I seem to remember) - which I refuted here (and elsewhere but I'm too lazy to search more) http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/540525-uk-pensions/page-37#entry9027325

smile.png

... in which case I unreservedly apologise wai.gif

I sometimes get confused these days......................

• Like 1

You've got me confused with someone else wink.png Someone talked about legislation to be introduced which would allow HMRC access to bank accounts -- which I questioned, and then someone stated it as fact (nong I seem to remember) - which I refuted here (and elsewhere but I'm too lazy to search more) http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/540525-uk-pensions/page-37#entry9027325

smile.png

... in which case I unreservedly apologise wai.gif

I sometimes get confused these days......................

....and unreservedly accepted :)

Indeed there is a lot of crud to sort through sometimes on hot topics. I miss important stuff occasionally and then get flamed for being a stupid old fool. I pays to have a hide like a rhino-sore-ass :)

• Like 2

UK PRESS: In what as been cited by critics as a bid to capture the UK pensioner...

UK PRESS: In what as been cited by critics as a bid to capture the UK pensionervote, Chancellor George Osborne has extended the "pensioner bonds" scheme by anextra 3 months, the Times reports. The extension comes in response to massivedemand from savers, the Chancellor said, with sales figures for the product thestrongest demand of "any retail financial product in Britain's modern history."But the government has not released a cost forecast for the new offer, with theoriginal "pensioner bonds" offer costing the UK taxpayer Gbp325mln over 5 years,the report says.

Source: Market News International (MNI) – A Deutsche Börse company

9. February 2015 07:04:18

UK PRESS: In what as been cited by critics as a bid to capture the UK pensioner...

UK PRESS: In what as been cited by critics as a bid to capture the UK pensionervote, Chancellor George Osborne has extended the "pensioner bonds" scheme by anextra 3 months, the Times reports. The extension comes in response to massivedemand from savers, the Chancellor said, with sales figures for the product thestrongest demand of "any retail financial product in Britain's modern history."But the government has not released a cost forecast for the new offer, with theoriginal "pensioner bonds" offer costing the UK taxpayer Gbp325mln over 5 years,the report says.

Source: Market News International (MNI) – A Deutsche Börse company

9. February 2015 07:04:18

Maybe important to UK residents, but....

.....The rates translate to an after-tax return of 2.24 per cent for a basic rate taxpayer.....

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2914458/Sale-new-government-pension-bonds-hugely-successful-1bn-worth-sold-2-days.html

Not exactly scorching returns and easily matched in Thailand and elsewhere.

• Like 1

Pensioner bonds sound good until you find out you can only put 10k into one

.....................NS&I will allow a total of £10billion to pour into the accounts before they are closed, with a maximum of £10,000 allowed, per person, in each bond.

That means savers can hold up to £20,000 in both bonds, and a couple can hold £40,000. If one joint holder passes away during the term, ownership passes to the survivor. The minimum investment is £500............

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2914458/Sale-new-government-pension-bonds-hugely-successful-1bn-worth-sold-2-days.html

As regards taking the entire Pot as Cash at 55 (subject to tax) does that include any Serps element attributed to the Plan......??

I'm getting wildly different figures from Friends Life as to what the estimated Pot will be in a couple months time and can only conclude its the Serps element thats making the difference....??

Any responses gratefully received.....

Edited by Chivas

Then we have to agree to differ on this, but I was told this by a very senior source in two Govt departments. Anyone who has any doubts should assume that I might just be correct for safety's sake.

Edit to add -- they can not even look at the stamps in your passport without your permission - or a court order. wink.png

Apologies but I can tell with utter certainty that is not the Case !!! Edited out the last sentence but just accept what I say !!

Edited by Chivas

If someone was sent to jail they presumably went through court, in which case the authorities could get the necessary court order.

Absolutely not they just helped themselves from Minute One..............And I mean minute one !!

Edited.......I agree they could have got a court order but they certainly didnt bother !!

Edited by Chivas

Sorry but any request for individual information has to be from the individual requesting (maybe under DPA) or a court order, there's no way a bank would allow any external agency unfettered access to its IT Systems or data...

Just my opinion having spent almost 30 years working in the IT department of a top 10 global (UK) bank, last 6 of which being responsible for its IAM...

Edited by JB300

Well as a link back to life certificate matters I contacted the pension authority in the U.K last night as I had not received my monthly pension payment for the last two months.

Seems as if a letter was sent but failed to arrive.

The man I spoke to (Brett) was indeed the most helpful person one could wish to have as a contact point, his attitude was first class as was his advice and indeed his action that he was going to and I presume has implemented.

As an aside he stated that the missing lost ''Life certificate'' letter matter was not an uncommon occurrence here in Thailand

Indeed, it's congratulations and thanks to the UK. ex pat pension office in Wolverhampton and their staff for bot the help and manner in which the situation was dealt with..

• Like 1

Well as a link back to life certificate matters I contacted the pension authority in the U.K last night as I had not received my monthly pension payment for the last two months.

The man I spoke to (Brett) was indeed the most helpful person one could wish to have as a contact point, his attitude was first class as was his advice and indeed his action that he was going to and I presume has implemented.

As an aside he stated that the missing lost ''Life certificate'' letter matter was not an uncommon occurrence here in Thailand

Indeed, it's congratulations and thanks to the UK. ex pat pension office in Wolverhampton and their staff for bot the help and manner in which the situation was dealt with..

Just tell them you moved back home and not have the life cert hassle, ceasation of payments is then linked to death cert

Just tell them you moved back home and not have the life cert hassle, ceasation of payments is then linked to death cert

So you would recommend an illegal act rather than deal with a simple piece of paper ?

I dont know how many of you have written to UKIP about our position and if they might like to correct it for a few votes but now is the time, but, as at this moment I have heard nothing.

I notice that sweeteners are already being aired in the early GE punches, I particularly like the one about doubling paternity pay, how jolly nice perhasp I should apply in advance, bound to be some more amazing offers coming up soon as well.

I was also thinking over the weekend that if UKIP, SNP etc make an impact in the GE what affect that would have on the exchange rate, you know what those chaps in the City are like, dont like much change and rumour and gossip are bound to give them skid marks in the wash! So whilst we are seeing a slow rise in the exchange rate at the moment expect more volatility in May.