UK pensions

mrmazinkle

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting report below and our champion Sir Roger Gale is again going full tilt at the matter on our or we pensioners behalf.

MP fights back against expat winter fuel allowance cuts British pensioners set to lose the benefit, worth up to £300, have won the backing of a Tory MP who hopes to thwart the rule change

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/expat-money

Listen Boys ,there just is not enough money ,there are millions of immigrants that need looking after,people who need their bosoms made bigger. Families who have no intention of ever working ,single mother's with kids by loads of different father's who need to be housed Fed and get the latest plasma tv,(not to forget holidays abroad) so what f_------g chance do you think we have ,we only paid into the system for 40 odd years so we have no hope

Eeothers

i claudius, on 21 Jan 2015 - 17:02, said:

Listen Boys ,there just is not enough money ,there are millions of immigrants that need looking after,people who need their bosoms made bigger. Families who have no intention of ever working ,single mother's with kids by loads of different father's who need to be housed Fed and get the latest plasma tv,(not to forget holidays abroad) so what f_------g chance do you think we have ,we only paid into the system for 40 odd years so we have no hope

Eeothers

Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day.

But get him an incapacity benefit form and he can have takeaways every night for life.

There was an interesting poll in the Express today in which 80% wanted to get out of the EU. Pressure is growing for an early referendum and if it happens and we do vote to come out how will that affect our relationship with Europe ( it would have to renegotiated) and our pensions? Would expats living in Europe still get the annual increases if we came out? How would it affect us? The cost saving is said to be 55m a day that just over a week to sort us out.! The upcoming GE is going to be very interesting and what happens in the next couple of years.

There was an interesting poll in the Express today in which 80% wanted to get out of the EU. Pressure is growing for an early referendum and if it happens and we do vote to come out how will that affect our relationship with Europe ( it would have to renegotiated) and our pensions? Would expats living in Europe still get the annual increases if we came out? How would it affect us? The cost saving is said to be 55m a day that just over a week to sort us out.! The upcoming GE is going to be very interesting and what happens in the next couple of years.

80% +1

80% +1

And one more for me too.

80% +1

And one more for me too.

80% plus 2

Eeothers

Unfortunately there is a lot of truth in what you say, however we must keep on trying.

165064_128427217220473_1825598_n.jpg?oh=

Another strong article by Simon Read in the Independent : it is clear that the issue of frozen pensions is not going to go away!

Hopefully Big Dave and his cronies will fail miserably and the new/old/new or whatever Labour Party will fare worse. Lib/Dems will go into a coalition with just about anybody. Actually the few survivors will try. That leaves UKIP and the odds and sods who may not do any better that Labour/Conservative/Lib/Dems but couldn't do any worse.

billd766 post # 849

Hopefully Big Dave and his cronies will fail miserably and the new/old/new or whatever Labour Party will fare worse. Lib/Dems will go into a coalition with just about anybody. Actually the few survivors will try. That leaves UKIP and the odds and sods who may not do any better that Labour/Conservative/Lib/Dems but couldn't do any worse.

Looking at the propaganda all the parties are pumping out I see little or no concern for pensioners whether ex pat or domestic, however if one is a ''refugee'' who has contributed nothing nor in the greater majority of case will contribute nothing along with the chavs and the workshy, well the purse is bottomless.
Now we silly old sods who paid our way over the years and by living out of the U.K.save on average some 9,000 pounds a year on assorted benefits, health matters etc.
We've no chance, we're but cannon fodder for those P.C social workers who scream for the aforementioned wastrel groups and yet call us free loaders because we live outside of the U.K. despite the fact we are all still U.K citizens
In truth the present bunch that are in power are the best of a bad bunch,.
The prospect of the next government being much like a patchwork quilt is somewhat ominous.
They'll all be fighting for power and we ex-pats won't even be considered as reserve ammunition, we would be and are considered ''the enemy.''

Another strong article by Simon Read in the Independent : it is clear that the issue of frozen pensions is not going to go away!

There are too many fruitcakes in UKIP. They will implode within a year of entering into a coalition with anyone.

Can anyone see Ferage being a credible "minister for August"?

other than anti EU, what else is on his manifesto

There are too many fruitcakes in UKIP. They will implode within a year of entering into a coalition with anyone.

There are a lot of people who have trusted the main stream parties for a life time only to find that they just change their mind once elected and thats alright becaues its politics. Sooner or later you get fed up with the cosy little club at Westminster and look for a wind of change or you you just change the vote and nothing changes. Cameron talks about the "peoples money" about "morals" when it suits him, but, although he talks about Government projects that they waste money on, they cannot afford to up grade our pensions, no morals there then and not the peoples money eh Dave?

Voting for UKIP is a leap of faith, they have no track record, they have no stars apart from Farage but I think a lot of people are fed up with the status quo and want a change. Farage says what people think and maybe he might just do something about it, things may change, wont be easy wont be quick but I think people are going to give him a chance, everyone I speak too says they are voting UKIP.

Just one more thing, Dave says everyone deserves a tax cut, but not, apparently an up-grade in your pensions, says it all really does it not? Time for a change, Ed and Dave pick up your P whatever on your way out, you had your chance, had enough of your excuses, bus fare home!

There are a lot of people who have trusted the main stream parties for a life time only to find that they just change their mind once elected and thats alright becaues its politics. Sooner or later you get fed up with the cosy little club at Westminster and look for a wind of change or you you just change the vote and nothing changes. Cameron talks about the "peoples money" about "morals" when it suits him, but, although he talks about Government projects that they waste money on, they cannot afford to up grade our pensions, no morals there then and not the peoples money eh Dave?

Voting for UKIP is a leap of faith, they have no track record, they have no stars apart from Farage but I think a lot of people are fed up with the status quo and want a change. Farage says what people think and maybe he might just do something about it, things may change, wont be easy wont be quick but I think people are going to give him a chance, everyone I speak too says they are voting UKIP.

Just one more thing, Dave says everyone deserves a tax cut, but not, apparently an up-grade in your pensions, says it all really does it not? Time for a change, Ed and Dave pick up your P whatever on your way out, you had your chance, had enough of your excuses, bus fare home!

I can't disagree with anything you have written.

I think UKIP will finish up splitting the vote and another coalition will ensue.

Whilst I have to admit to not giving a fig about British politics anymore I can understand the frustration of those who do care. Could UKIP/Farage actually make a difference - frankly, I doubt it (they are politicians after all and UKIP has some loose canons) and I don't see ANY party doing anything about frozen pensions.

Politicians the world over seem the same promise the earth to get elected then do what you like for the next period of time. There seem very few honest ones and the few never get into a position of power to make a difference.

The political field in the UK has changed with the coalition, they can blame each other for not carrying out their manifesto, any coalition should issue a joint manifesto and put it to the electorate........yes or no and if its a no vote, new lections. Not likely to happen when you have a whiff of power though is it?

Farage has probably got a few loose cannons but at least so far they have not broken any promises and a lot of the public seem to like what he says so dont be surprised in May at what happens and it probably will end up as a coalition again just which hue. This is going to be the most interesting GE I have ever seen.

As far as our pensions are concerned I guess it will depend on what happens with an EU vote. If we come out there will have to be a re negogiation of our position with the EU. Its not as we will stop trading with them and we will save a lot of money, maybe some for us? We wont have to lead any armed interventions on behalf of the EU ( few of the EU nations seem to want to get involved in conflicts) after thinking that the EEC was a good think we have moved over time to the EU and ever onwards to the US of E. Well I would sooner not get any further involvement thank you very much, we were always a free trading nation and that is the way we should return to.

Political statement ends!

UNder 100 days to go before the big vote back home and still no one mention us, a minority vote not worth shout? Did speel that write?

Following on from my last thoughts, I see and read that business men want to stay in the EU, well they would wouldn't they, they make the money, ordinary people just abide by the new rules and get more taxes stuffed down them! The only thing the ordinary man, or woman, has really gained from the EU is being able to bring back lots of cheap booze and fags back from EU countries and yes I did as well before you ask. So I will voting to come out it has not lived up to expectations for me and how they can think its ok for expats in the EU to get the pension increases and not the ones outside it just shows it for what it is. Give us your money and I'm alright Pierre, Hans or whatever, they are not interested in our cause, so I am happy to come out, we have been on our own before and lets see what they do with the money they save.

Now is the time to write to UKIP and see if we can bring something into their manifesto, we know the other lots are not interested, if we now badger them they might make a noise.

UNder 100 days to go before the big vote back home and still no one mention us, a minority vote not worth shout? Did speel that write?

Following on from my last thoughts, I see and read that business men want to stay in the EU, well they would wouldn't they, they make the money, ordinary people just abide by the new rules and get more taxes stuffed down them! The only thing the ordinary man, or woman, has really gained from the EU is being able to bring back lots of cheap booze and fags back from EU countries and yes I did as well before you ask. So I will voting to come out it has not lived up to expectations for me and how they can think its ok for expats in the EU to get the pension increases and not the ones outside it just shows it for what it is. Give us your money and I'm alright Pierre, Hans or whatever, they are not interested in our cause, so I am happy to come out, we have been on our own before and lets see what they do with the money they save.

Now is the time to write to UKIP and see if we can bring something into their manifesto, we know the other lots are not interested, if we now badger them they might make a noise.

Correct.

Poll of polls yesterday showed a slight Labour victory with the SNP getting 50 seats and someone will likely have to consider getting into bed with the SNP......now that will be interesting. I don't like Cameron, Osborne, May and Hague et al, but I also want out of Europe.

We live in interesting times.

FWIW I've just arranged to cash-in, at age 60 and under the 'old' pre-5/4/2015 rules, a small (circa GBP 4k) pension held with Standard-Life.

The first 25% is tax-free, the balance is having 20% income-tax deducted, under P.A.Y.E. and with a P45 to be issued after settlement to show the basis of taxation.

Since I have absolutely no other UK-income arising this year, I expect to be able to reclaim the tax from HMRC later this calendar-year, by filing a Tax-Return for y/e 5th April 2015. A pain-in-the-a** but worth my time to recover GBP 627 !

The assurance-company appear to have no problem with paying direct to my offshore (Jersey, C.I.) bank-account. But did ask how many policies I had in-total, happily I'm apparently OK under the old-rules, with having just three (including this one). And had I taken appropriate advice, what were my reasons for cashing-in early, and so-on.

I'm preparing to try to cash-in a second larger policy, after the magic date of 6th April 2015, in an attempt to fully-use my UK Income-Tax Personal-Allowance leading up until the time when I will (eventually ... and 51-weeks late) receive my reduced government-pension/benefit, and thereafter keep my post-official-retirement income slightly-lower than my then-and-thereafter Personal-Allowance.

I see no reason why I should deliberately, through inaction or ignorance, pay the UK any tax which I need not, this feeling is considerably strengthened by their shabby treatment of UK-pensioners who happen to have landed-up in Thailand, and the crap service we now appear to receive when renewing our UK-passports every decade (or less). So I'm voting with my feet, and my wallet, and hitting them where it hurts ... in their tax-revenues !

Which seems to me sensible, since I also have less-than-total confidence that the UK-government will still be able to afford to pay me what I'm due, whenever they deign to eventually pay it ! Perhaps I'm wrong, and they're actually men of probity with a sense of fair-play, who have been prudent and will be able to support me in my old-age ... but why take the risk ? wink.png

Ricardo, on 30 Jan 2015 - 16:11, said:

FWIW I've just arranged to cash-in, at age 60 and under the 'old' pre-5/4/2015 rules, a small (circa GBP 4k) pension held with Standard-Life.

The first 25% is tax-free, the balance is having 20% income-tax deducted, under P.A.Y.E. and with a P45 to be issued after settlement to show the basis of taxation.

Since I have absolutely no other UK-income arising this year, I expect to be able to reclaim the tax from HMRC later this calendar-year, by filing a Tax-Return for y/e 5th April 2015. A pain-in-the-a** but worth my time to recover GBP 627 !

Ricardo, why are you paying 20% tax on an income of £4K?

Similar to you I cashed in 2 pensions at age 61. I took the 25% tax free lump sum and an income of £9,5K.

I contacted HMRC because is was just under the Personal Allowance, who in turn contacted my Pension provider and issued a coding that allows my provider to pay the full amount......no tax deducted.

Because my personal income isn't expected to increase until I'm 65, I don't have to file tax returns either.

Archived